What Lights?!

Ive got a 90 gallon tank Ive just got up and running. I think I want to try a reef tank for the first time but im just about clueless on what lights to get. I see the cheapies at the LFS and the T5s and halides, Its hard for me to decide. Im not sure exactly what corals I would want but Im looking for a light that could grow just about anything?
My tank is 24Tx48Lx18D. Suggestions? It would really be cool if I could get a description of what you have and a couple photos of the setup and tank. I know some Lights have color variations/ slightly blue etc.
Thanks all.

flower

Never go cheap on the lights if you want coral. I upgraded 3Xs and it cost a fortune.
I run 2 X 175w MHs with 2 X 96w actinic…12K bulbs on my 90g. Nothing beats the looks of MH lights dancing in the water. Mine are on a pulley system, I also put some shades around the lights to block the light while we watch TV.. I can lower and raise the lights for maintenance or to control heat. Halides get hot.
With those lights I can have any corals I want. I made caves so I can have the corals that don’t care for lights as well.

acrylic51

Agree with Flower....A good T5 setup is capable as well as providing light for you to keep anything as well.

Alright I will focus my research on T5s. Any good ways or DIY ways to not break the bank? Im In between jobs but looking to keep the project going. Slow n steady. My LFS has the End caps for T5 Lights where I can build them into the hood. Any good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///forum/thread/383114/what-lights#post_3348235
Never go cheap on the lights if you want coral. I upgraded 3Xs and it cost a fortune.
I run 2 X 175w MHs with 2 X 96w actinic…12K bulbs on my 90g. Nothing beats the looks of MH lights dancing in the water. Mine are on a pulley system, I also put some shades around the lights to block the light while we watch TV.. I can lower and raise the lights for maintenance or to control heat. Halides get hot.
With those lights I can have any corals I want. I made caves so I can have the corals that don’t care for lights as well.

Flower,
I like the Pulley Idea but id like to keep it all in the hood if possible. The whole hood would come off in one piece containing the lights. Aa I mentioned in the other post. I could built some T5 fixtures and still have them removable from the hood and all. Have you ever seen this done?

acrylic51

Search for a good ballast, important key I get the beat reflectors on the market, and most prefer the ATI bulbs. Should be a simple DIY project.

1snapple

Or LED's, LED's shimmer just like MH w/o the energy consumption or the heat but you don't get as much penetration as you do w/ halides.

1snapple

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic51 http:///forum/thread/383114/what-lights#post_3348518
1Snapple has a good point, but I'd argue the penetration point of the LEDs.......

You can't just agree w/ me shawn

Ya, but you get 3w and probably get 20" of penetration so you get tons of light up near the top for SPS, and lower light for every possible coral you want, LPS, zoas, mid level, and softies bottom.

acrylic51

I disagree.....There are people running Cree 3w heavily and SPS dominated tanks, and the 1 that sticks in my mind is the tank by a fellow in Japan, and his tank is SPS dominate with SPS on the botom of his tank, and it's not a shallow tank and gets very good penetration. I'd like to see actually "facts/figures" supporting your claim as LEDs only have penetrtion depth of 20"???????

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Snapple http:///forum/thread/383114/what-lights#post_3348532
You can't just agree w/ me shawn

Ya, but you get 3w and probably get 20" of penetration so you get tons of light up near the top for SPS, and lower light for every possible coral you want, LPS, zoas, mid level, and softies bottom.

acrylic51

No idea honestly......He was way ahead of us using LED's.....My point and not trying to argue, just curious as to data that shows they don't penetrate greater than 20", and again the height or closeness to your tank. that you can run the LED's at makes me think 20" is insane as well.

1snapple

of course he is ahead of us, he is where they make the newest LED's, he has 5w LEDs =D
im not sure where i heard the 20" comment i previously made.

acrylic51

I know the thread was on RC....I thought I had it bookmarked, but can't locate it at this moment, but will definitely hunt it for you....The corals and coloration are breath taking....Again each tank is totally different, and that's been apparent with the talk with the LED's, but I can't imagine they can't handle 24". Might not be outstanding numbers at the bottom of the tank, but still respectable. I know there are a couple threads DIY LED's that actually took readings on penetration, and they were decent. 30" might be an issue as far a penetration.

acrylic51

That's a good 1 Josh, but the 1 I was referring to was a guy in Japan, and his tank is just stunning.....It looks like somebody just painted the tank in the air.....It's a glass tank, and if I remember correctly was rimless as well.....the colors were amazing.....

acrylic51

I read so much, and sometimes I think I bookmark a thread and actually don't over on RC, but I will continue the hunt. Honestly for error on safety side, yes I would eurobrace the tank. Doesn't have to be super wide, but I would. I don't think you need any cross bracing though.

acrylic51

1Snapple here is a thread I was following on LEDs and the tank is over 20" in depth and good penetration.....
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783517&highlight=japan+led