What Lights?!

1snapple

ya, I had the most irritating time today. I went to a local place around me that had some LED's and I went over and finally found his shop and he wasn't even there so i waited 20 minutes for the guy to get to his own shop. Then he didn't have the LEDs. Then he tried to sell me some different LEDs and a different driver then told me a bunch of bullsnot about how cree LEDs weren't as good as the one he was trying to sell me.

1snapple

Not sure, they were crap though. He also said that they only make LEDs in 5k and 10k where the Cree XP-G R5 led's are clearly rated at 6.5k-6.7k.
I found this driver and I determined it would be WAY to much to ask for them to make a driver from 12-24v.
its a meanwell PCD-16-700A so it will run 6-12 LED's but 7 might be to much but it's worth a try.
How does this arrangement sound.
RB, CW, R, RB, R, CW, RB
What K rating do you think it would be?

J

jstdv8

wow, thanks for posting shawn, those pictures are crazy!
Just an amazing setup.
Just a matter of time before lots of these companies start making these things and the competition drives the price down.

1snapple

marineland came out with a new LED fixture and the LFS owner looked at it and couldn't see for a little while.
Supposedly can now be used for corals. (don't use 3w LED's though.)

acrylic51

Glad you enjoy Jstdv8.....Josh, it's honestly hard to say on the arrangement....I think a lot is unknown till you actually have the LEDs in hand and start laying them out seeing how they look.....Are you looking at getting the kit with the predrilled heat sink? Possible you could wire them but leave some slack or what no that you could adjust or rearrange them if not to your liking.....Honestly I think 2 reds that close might not be the ticket.....
Again a lot of unknown....Most setups I've glanced that did use other colors didn't have them spaced per say so close....the odd ball colors were space something in my mind as to how moonlights might be staggered or spaced......

acrylic51

Driver sounds good....you'd just have to dial it down as he suggested....I'll have to dig up a good thread where it talks about adjusting and all the techy stuff!!!!!

1snapple

Okay, I think i finally found the right driver....

Meanwell LPC-35-1050

3-10 LED's....
but it's not dimmable

1snapple

I can just put a rheostat in the DC side couldn't i? It would use all the power the driver puts out and is controllable.

acrylic51

Josh honestly I don't think that would be a smart idea, but I'd ask over in the other thread I seen you post in on the other board....Kcress would probably be the best to answer that question or Willie.....

2quills

I would do 8 and just dim them. Just one of those 3w leds could probably cook your tank depending on what you're driving them at. You could also look into the buck puck drivers. They make dimmable ones now for driving upto 6 leds a piece.

1snapple

How could I configure the LEDs in such a way to use 8?
3 CW and 5 RB and 1 Green?
RB, CW, RB, CW, G, RB, CW, RB
I hate throwing in 1 color, it throws off the arrangement of the whole thing.

2quills

W, B, W
R, G
B, W, B
I don't know...just throwing ideas out. What are the dimensions of your tank? I'm not sure what the green actually does in way of bringing out colors. I see more red used than anything but looking at the spectrum range the greens put out they may be slightly benefitial for photosynthesis.