What's the oldest dog you have ever had?

mrdc

I'm just curious and I guess don't limit the pet to a dog but go ahead and tell us what your oldest pet has been or currently is. I hope this thread doesn't jinx my buddy. My first ever inside dog and current old dog is my jack russell Milo. He is about to be 17. He is still pretty active, eats well and loves being outside. However, his hearing is practically gone and he sleeps most of the time.
It will be a VERY sad day when he goes. His bro is a mini dashund and is 11.

fishtaco

Originally Posted by mrdc
http:///forum/post/3294479
I'm just curious and I guess don't limit the pet to a dog but go ahead and tell us what your oldest pet has been or currently is. I hope this thread doesn't jinx my buddy. My first ever inside dog and current old dog is my jack russell Milo. He is about to be 17. He is still pretty active, eats well and loves being outside. However, his hearing is practically gone and he sleeps most of the time.
It will be a VERY sad day when he goes. His bro is a mini dashund and is 11.
My first border collie lived to just a few days short of her 18th birthday and was extremely active until the last year of her life.
Fishtaco

mrdc

Originally Posted by Fishtaco
http:///forum/post/3294488
My first border collie lived to just a few days short of her 18th birthday and was extremely active until the last year of her life.
Fishtaco
Well I hope she didn't suffer. I hope sometimes that that my old man has a heart attack while I am at work. I know deep down that is a selfish thing to think. IN reality, if I have to be the one to take Milo to the vet to get the needle, I would. He deserves me being there. He has given me and my family more joy than I could put into words.

cranberry

I have a 15 year old Beagle. Completely deaf. Can't see very well. Has a bum hip and now a thyroid issue..... but she still plays like a freaking puppy and stole my breakfast yesterday. I have no idea how I'm going to handle her demise *tears*. I lost her 14 year old "brother" to cancer this year. :-(
They are NOT being replaced.... it's too painful.

meowzer

I had a Pug for 10 years.....I know that doesn't seem long.....But when I gott he dog and took him to MY vet....I was told he wouldn't live 6 months, and be blind at that. He never lost his sight either :)
SOOO I think I did pretty good.....

mrdc

Originally Posted by Cranberry
http:///forum/post/3294498
I have a 15 year old Beagle. Completely deaf. Can't see very well. Has a bum hip and now a thyroid issue..... but she still plays like a freaking puppy and stole my breakfast yesterday. I have no idea how I'm going to handle her demise *tears*. I lost her 14 year old "brother" to cancer this year. :-(
They are NOT being replaced.... it's too painful.
I really do worry about the pain part. My daschund will have to be put in a crate if Milo dies first. He has alreay proven that he cannot be left at the house alone. We left him alone about 4 years ago when Milo had to stay at the vet overnight. Toby practically ripped half the carpet up. We keep them in the bathroom now but still he wouldn't be able to handle it.

cranberry

http:///forum/post/3294495
Well I hope she didn't suffer. I hope sometimes that that my old man has a heart attack while I am at work. I know deep down that is a selfish thing to think. IN reality, if I have to be the one to take Milo to the vet to get the needle, I would. He deserves me being there. He has given me and my family more joy than I could put into words.
I totally lucked out with my Schnauzer. He had a wiener to take his m.eds, saw a crow outside and chased it around and then came in and collapsed at my feet and passed.......
Great... crying before I have to go to work.....
I'm also a little sad about moving. I feel like I'm leaving Nem Nem here. (Short for Emberley).

rlablan

I grew up with many animals.
had a couple of border collies that lived with to be 15 years old each.
Also, grew up with parrots that are still alive and will be well into my old years. They are currently 14 or so, and I know that I will be inheriting them from my mother. They really are like family members, since they eat with utensils, call you by your name and recognize things about you when you walk in a room. They really are rewarding pets.

fishtaco

http:///forum/post/3294495
Being there at the end for a pet is the very hardest thing. Full-grown redneck that I am and I cried for two days and was in a funk for weeks until on Christmas eve my wife finally loaded me in the car and instead of going to the relatives we drove 2 hours down the freeway and picked-up a 10 week old border collie pup that she had found for sale.
Fishtaco

jtt

My 3 legged lab is going on 11, got a thyroid issue, and joint problems. My wife's shih tzu was a rescue, we think she was 10 when she died.

mrdc

Originally Posted by Bang Guy
http:///forum/post/3294512
Raymond is 19 and still very active. Of course he's blind & deaf but the nose is working perfectly.
Boy Milo's nose works SO good. You can throw any food on the floor and he will find it!

S

shrimpy brains

Well, you said it didn't have to be a dog! The longest lived pet I ever knew was my Grandma's cat, Becky. She was at least 23 when she died. I had no way to prove it, otherwise the vet said it could have been a world record.

nw2salt08

My current oldest pet is my basset hound, Sam, at 13 years old. But I've had a cocker spaniel that was 16 years old when she passed and a lizard (Egyptian Uromastyx) that was 20 years old when he died. I still miss my lizard.

dragonzim

Growing up we had a Briard that lived to around 14 or so, which is very old for a dog his size. He maxed out at around 130 lbs.

flower

Originally Posted by rlablan
http:///forum/post/3294505
I grew up with many animals.
had a couple of border collies that lived with to be 15 years old each.
Also, grew up with parrots that are still alive and will be well into my old years. They are currently 14 or so, and I know that I will be inheriting them from my mother. They really are like family members, since they eat with utensils, call you by your name and recognize things about you when you walk in a room. They really are rewarding pets.

You forgot to mention LOUD. My Bluefront Amazon has a life span of 80, he will outlive me ( My oldest granddaughter is his Godmother) and I should be deaf soon and we can live in harmony...It is going to rain, so today is a day to scream because he can't go outside to play. He is only 3, I purchased him as an egg. I have pictures of when he hatched. He knows 25 words he can scream and whistle, he thinks he is a very pretty bird, and when he laughs he sounds just like me.
My oldest pet was a yellow tabby named Lynx, he was 18 almost 19 when he died. We didn’t take him to be put to sleep. We had a towel on the sofa near us as we watched TV. Every time we thought it was the end, the family gathered around him…he would start purring and be alright. He died in his sleep in the middle of the night, 6 years ago, I still miss him.