What's wrong with the church today?

gordruls

You all have left me speechless...You are all so far off the reason you go to church and what religion stands for I don't even know where to start. YOU GO TO CHURCH TO HONOR GOD THAT'S IT! YOU TAKE COMMUNION TO RECEIVE JESUS INTO EVERY CELL OF YOUR BODY! I AM SORRY "YOU" ARE NOT GETTING SOMETHING OUT OF IT. IT'S NOT ABOUT YOU! OR WHAT THE PEOPLE AROUND YOU ARE DOING. IT'S FOR "YOU TO THANK GOD FOR EVERYTHING THAT IS GOOD IN THIS WORLD! INCLUDING YOUR LITTLE FISH!
YOU SHOULD ALL BE ASHAMED OF YOURSELVES. YOUR ALL VERY SELFISH IN YOUR THINKING. IF YOU DON'T LIKE WHERE THE MONEY IS GOING THEN DON'T GIVE ANY OR GIVE IT TO THE CHARITY OF YOUR CHOICE. THE NEXT TIME YOU ARE IN CHURCH, INSTEAD OF LOOKING AROUND AT WHAT THE OTHERS ARE DOING, TRY LOOKING UP!

flpriest

Originally Posted by gordruls
http:///forum/post/2772971
You all have left me speechless...You are all so far off the reason you go to church and what religion stands for I don't even know where to start. YOU GO TO CHURCH TO HONOR GOD THAT'S IT! YOU TAKE COMMUNION TO RECEIVE JESUS INTO EVERY CELL OF YOUR BODY! I AM SORRY "YOU" ARE NOT GETTING SOMETHING OUT OF IT. IT'S NOT ABOUT YOU! OR WHAT THE PEOPLE AROUND YOU ARE DOING. IT'S FOR "YOU TO THANK GOD FOR EVERYTHING THAT IS GOOD IN THIS WORLD! INCLUDING YOUR LITTLE FISH!
YOU SHOULD ALL BE ASHAMED OF YOURSELVES. YOUR ALL VERY SELFISH IN YOUR THINKING. IF YOU DON'T LIKE WHERE THE MONEY IS GOING THEN DON'T GIVE ANY OR GIVE IT TO THE CHARITY OF YOUR CHOICE. THE NEXT TIME YOU ARE IN CHURCH, INSTEAD OF LOOKING AROUND AT WHAT THE OTHERS ARE DOING, TRY LOOKING UP!
then i suppose a person doesn't need to go to church to do these things, they can be done from the solitude of your home with your family/loved ones...

I believe in God, Jesus Christ, and that God will judge me, nobody else, on what I have done/not done in my life.

yearofthenick

Wow pretty strong there. First of all, I don't have a problem with honoring God, Tithing, or Communion. I practice all of those. What upsets me, and the reason why I started this thread, was because there are a lot of things WRONG with how these things are executed. Some (NOT ALL) pastors have laundered money from the church. People give money to the church because they want to help equip God's work in response to God's monetary blessing in their lives, not give the pastor a brand new TV for his house. That's just one of the many problems with church today.
I don't think we've done anything wrong here. People come asking questions and I'm trying to help answer them. People are skeptical and want answers. People are disappointed with the church, as am I, and we are talking about what church should be.... what church was meant to be in biblical times before people got selfish and spent tithed money on themselves, speak sermons so they can toot their own horns.
Why do you judge us for this?

hlcroghan

Why should anyone who is looking for knowledge be ashamed?? Why should anyone have to go to church to pray? I hate church. I don't go. I still believe in God. For you to judge us is very far from what God teaches.

socal57che

Originally Posted by hlcroghan
http:///forum/post/2773407
I hate church. I don't go.
I did, too. It wasn't until I was shown God wanted a one on one personal relationship with me (something I was never taught until a couple years ago) that I began to yearn for fellowship. I missed church today because of a trip we took yesterday. My family was too tired. I REALLY notice when I miss church. I truly miss it. I didn't feel this way until asked Christ into my life. I asked Him to help me clean house and I am a changed person. I always believed, but never had a personal relationship. In November of 2006 that changed. "Behold, I stand at the door; and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me."
In a way, I agree with gordruls. When I give to the church, I am giving to God. What the people do with it from there is between them and God. I make a sacrifice to God. That's where it ends for me. It doesn't matter if the pastor gets a new Mercedes every month. That will be on his plate. God doesn't have a use for money. He wants to see what we are willing to sacrifice for Him. He, after all, made the ultimate sacrifice for murderers, thieves and liars. (for me)

michaeltx

I have to agree I am surprised to becuase I have been watching it closely...
this along with other topics like political usually dont last very long at all.
Mike

yearofthenick

Originally Posted by MichaelTX
http:///forum/post/2773456
I have to agree I am surprised to becuase I have been watching it closely...
this along with other topics like political usually dont last very long at all.
Mike
Maybe because God is watching this one??? lol

kingsmith

Originally Posted by YearOfTheNick
http:///forum/post/2773471
Maybe because God is watching this one??? lol
Or maybe the mods are predisposed to letting threads that are similar to their beliefs last longer I would hope if there is a God he would have soemthing more important to worry about

stdreb27

http:///forum/post/2773266
Wow pretty strong there. First of all, I don't have a problem with honoring God, Tithing, or Communion. I practice all of those. What upsets me, and the reason why I started this thread, was because there are a lot of things WRONG with how these things are executed. Some (NOT ALL) pastors have laundered money from the church. People give money to the church because they want to help equip God's work in response to God's monetary blessing in their lives, not give the pastor a brand new TV for his house. That's just one of the many problems with church today.
Back to your original point. This is what I really do think about this, a pastor is incharge of your spiritual health. As a christian, the paramount issue for you should be your spiritual health. We pay out our nose for our physical health why not take better care of your pastor.
Likewise, in the OT the people were required to bring the best meat as an offering, and the priests ate it. They got the best, solomons temple wasn't a dumb. You know, I think the precident is there for the church to be wealthy, along with the pastor.
But when it turns into what it can turn into, then I have a serious problem with it.

yearofthenick

Originally Posted by KingSmith
http:///forum/post/2773544
Or maybe the mods are predisposed to letting threads that are similar to their beliefs last longer I would hope if there is a God he would have soemthing more important to worry about
I was joking dude. But in response to your statement, the bible tells us that God cares about everything. There's even a verse that talks about God caring for the birds of the air and lillies of the field, and how much more does he care about us? - something along those lines.

michaeltx

Originally Posted by KingSmith
http:///forum/post/2773544
not at all I personally dont get envolved with threads like these but watch them closely. as long as the stay civil there is not problem once someone starts to attack and it gets ugly it gets locked. So as long as there are discussions and not attacks it stays open just a simple thing really LOL
Mike

1journeyman

Originally Posted by MichaelTX
http:///forum/post/2773827
not at all I personally dont get envolved with threads like these but watch them closely. as long as the stay civil there is not problem once someone starts to attack and it gets ugly it gets locked. So as long as there are discussions and not attacks it stays open just a simple tjomg really LOL
Mike

Stick around for any length of time, Kingfish, and you'll see a lot of threads we don't like that stay open. You'll also see a lot of threads we like and participate in end up getting locked...

rylan1

http:///forum/post/2773266
I don't think we've done anything wrong here. People come asking questions and I'm trying to help answer them. People are skeptical and want answers. People are disappointed with the church, as am I, and we are talking about what church should be.... what church was meant to be in biblical times before people got selfish and spent tithed money on themselves, speak sermons so they can toot their own horns.
Why do you judge us for this?
Tithing is important... people don't seem to realize that churches have expenses... in addition to that if it is a good church they are doing charitable work. I have no problem with a pastor recieving a salary... but its about character... Some of the pastors you see do a great more than just preach on Sunday... and have other income streams... such as books and etc. However, I do believe that there are a great deal who don't live what they preach, and second I don't agree with the whole new prosperity style of preaching. But ultimately it is your job to find a good church home...in any institution there are shady characters and you have to be able to disern whom they are.
My friend was telling me about a church he went to where the pastor was driving an Escalade.... Ok.. problem is their were only like 10-12 members.. and perhaps this pastor had another full time job... don't know... but he mentioned how this married pastor according to my friend's girl he is dating tried to approach her and another woman in the congregation which I guess they entertained to some degree...
but my issue is why are they still attending the church? And that is my point.. if there is funny business going on... its probably not what you are looking for as a church home.

rylan1

Originally Posted by 1journeyman
http:///forum/post/2773953

Stick around for any length of time, Kingfish, and you'll see a lot of threads we don't like that stay open. You'll also see a lot of threads we like and participate in end up getting locked...
have nothing against people about sharing their views... but in reading the other thread... it reminds me of people like Bill Mahr... and the movie he's coming out with that is anti-religion

stdreb27

Originally Posted by Rylan1
http:///forum/post/2773960
Tithing is important... people don't seem to realize that churches have expenses... in addition to that if it is a good church they are doing charitable work. I have no problem with a pastor recieving a salary... but its about character... Some of the pastors you see do a great more than just preach on Sunday... and have other income streams... such as books and etc. However, I do believe that there are a great deal who don't live what they preach, and second I don't agree with the whole new prosperity style of preaching. But ultimately it is your job to find a good church home...in any institution there are shady characters and you have to be able to disern whom they are.
My friend was telling me about a church he went to where the pastor was driving an Escalade.... Ok.. problem is their were only like 10-12 members.. and perhaps this pastor had another full time job... don't know... but he mentioned how this married pastor according to my friend's girl he is dating tried to approach her and another woman in the congregation which I guess they entertained to some degree...
but my issue is why are they still attending the church? And that is my point.. if there is funny business going on... its probably not what you are looking for as a church home.
I'd hope the pastor has another job. 12 people aren't going to support a pastor and his philandering caddy driving ways. Maybe a credit crunch will take him out...

rotarymagic

http:///forum/post/2769678
There are a lot of very interesting facts about "intelligent design" ... the flagellar motor, for example. It's a "tail" that some single-celled organisms have, with 40 individual parts that make up this "motor." Evolutionary theory states that organisms make minor modifications or additions over thousands of years, but the flagellar motor, with it's 40 parts, would not work without all 40 parts... meaning if there were 39 parts, it would be totally useless.
The flagellar motor was designed. there's no way that all 40 parts just happened to come together by accident. it's like saying the engine in your car just kind of threw itself together and voila!
Dr. Michael Behe said it the best: "Let's say you went out and bought a single lottery ticket. As you watch the television program that evening, the host announces all six of your wining lottery numbers. You've won millions of dollars. Let's say the following day you do exactly the same thing, purchasing a single ticket and winning the lottery. Now, let's say this happens for 6 years, and every day you've purchased a single ticket, and won the lottery. That is the likelihood of the universe being created by 'random circumstance'."
I know of one man that Dr. Michael Behe and every other ID creationist fears. Dr. Sahotra Sarkar, he makes IDs crawl back into their little holes to rot.