Where are the moderators?

monsinour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparty059 http:///forum/thread/381698/where-are-the-moderators#post_3326904
Also a side note - If I bother anyone
... let me know... the last thing I ever want to do is make it so people won't respond to any of my questions or comments.
The only way you will bother me is when I have to share the b-10 title with you and not actually play you.
What Sparty says is 100% accurate. I come from many boards and have lots of experience with boards. I spent a great deal of time on the worlds #3 or #2 message board (based on # of members and # of posts) and while there, things like this were nipped in the bud rather quickly. The funny thing is that that board is populated by people 25 and under. I was one of the old farts on the board. I was nominated for mod there a few times but never really wanted it. The big reason why it never got to the point that it is here now is that there were mods on 24/7 over there. Moderation is the issue and if SWF.com does not have a mod for each forum, 7 in total, then problems like this will continue to arrise.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I've been here, though in the past couple of weeks I've experienced pc problems that ended in loosing my Internet connection. Today is my first day back on. I also have gotten no PM about a problem member.
I agree that mods who have long ago departed SWF.com should be removed as mods. Their names still appearing here as mods is confusing and pointless. I also think that perhaps a few new mods should be added. New mod blood is usually a good thing. Its a big forum with lots to keep an eye on.
I agree that the traffic here has diminished. It may be hard economic times where an expensive hobby has taken a hit, or it could be residual fallout from the defects experienced with VB forum upgrade, which has since been resolved with this new forum. Things should imprrove as the economy picks up, I'd think.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Well, it say "Admin" so I suppose SWF admin gets it, or no on gets it. MODS don't get it. Yes, PMs will be looked at, but likely not immediately unless one of us is on.

grammygigi

I remember all of you, now that I'm reading this post!! Omg!!
Smartori, I remember Tobin, and his passing, I hope things are getting better for you, I know what you went through caring for him, and losing him was not easy. I'm sorry we got off on the wrong foot the other day. I hope we can start over, when I was on the boards a couple of years ago, my log in name was "Sparkette" I had a 24 gallon nano, and used to buy/trade coral with some members here.
I remember Beth and all her sticky threads! Wow, it feels like a reunion!!
What ever happened to Rwagoner? Last post I saw was when he became a daddy to a precious baby girl.
Anyway, please know that I am a legit salt water NUT, and I remember when this forum was "poppin" and I miss being here, it feels great to be back!
Lori

swfishy

Administrator
Staff member
Feel free to PM me if there is something going on that you wish addressed. It is difficult for me to review all forums daily with my regular workload, but I can pop in if something needs attention.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
The question came up about where does the red flag notice on posts, if used, goes to? This feature seems to be a notification system for problems, but we are not sure who is receiving this?

meowzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth http:///forum/thread/381698/where-are-the-moderators/20#post_3328343
The question came up about where does the red flag notice on posts, if used, goes to? This feature seems to be a notification system for problems, but we are not sure who is receiving this?
LOL...Yeah I asked that....I'd love to know who gets it...I thought it was a system to flag "admin" of a problem thred...it asks the severity of the issue, and then a brief explanation

saltwaterfish.com

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the interesting thread. We are committed to improving the board.
Please note that if you flag a post for review it automatically gets put in the moderation area where it is dealt with separately. I encourage you to use it. It is the flag icon at the bottom of the post. Administrators can go to the area and review all the flagged posts and respond.
Scott

btldreef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltwaterfish.com http:///forum/thread/381698/where-are-the-moderators/20#post_3329441
Thanks for the interesting thread. We are committed to improving the board.
Please note that if you flag a post for review it automatically gets put in the moderation area where it is dealt with separately. I encourage you to use it. It is the flag icon at the bottom of the post. Administrators can go to the area and review all the flagged posts and respond.
Scott
I think one of the big issues is that there really is only 2 mods on the boards lately. It's a big board, and 2 mods isn't enough. Then there is the issue that we post these questions in the "Ask Salwaterfish" section and they go unanswered for a week or more. That is extremely frustrating.

desertdawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFishy http:///forum/thread/381698/where-are-the-moderators/20#post_3328325
... It is difficult for me to review all forums daily with my regular workload, but I can pop in if something needs attention.
Perhaps an additional Administrator to help handle the work load, I know you can allow for admin privileges without allowing that person into the admin panel.
I have 2 additional admins on my forum (auto related) just so I don't have to be there 24/7
And I nominate BTLDreef as a new moderator!!!
If the old mods have bailed the it's time to replace them with active members...

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertdawg http:///forum/thread/381698/where-are-the-moderators/20#post_3329503
Perhaps an additional Administrator to help handle the work load, I know you can allow for admin privileges without allowing that person into the admin panel.
I have 2 additional admins on my forum (auto related) just so I don't have to be there 24/7

The problem here is that the kind of admin you are speaking of would not be accessible to the store or in a decision-making status. This particular forum is more for asking questions to SWF, particularly the store area, etc., not necessarily just the forum which can be handled by mods.
As for the red-flag stuff...either I don't know how to review this, or I can't review and act on it. Maybe I'll have to test it out and see if I can figure it out.
I also don't know where the mod list is in the new forum, so I'm not sure who is currently being listed as mods.
This quote thing is still malfunctioning at times as well.

desertdawg

A forum this size needs to have an admin for just the forums, they can still refer business stuff to the company employees. but there main purpose would be to admin the forum and it's members.