Where are the moderators?

btldreef

I am asking this on behalf of quite a few members on the board that are getting frustrated lately with what we refer to as "trolls".
There are a few people that are just destroying threads lately with nonsense and aggrivating so many of us. They have many people on edge on being a little harsher to some new hobbyists questions.
This didn't seem to go on much before. I know there is always going to be that annoying person on the boards, and it can't be controlled, but it can be monitored and MODERATED, and isn't that one of the jobs of the mods? Lately I haven't seen anyone other than Bang Guy, and occasionally Beth on.
What is going on?
And I'm just going to throw it out there, the one member that is responsible for most of this is Burrito.

btldreef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsinour http:///forum/thread/381698/where-are-the-moderators#post_3326227
mods have a personal life as you well know. Sometimes RL gets in the way of BBS life.
LOL, true, but since this latest upgrade, they're basically ALL gone. There's quite a few mods for this forum and none have been on. I could understand a handful being gone at once, but it's more than that. A year ago, mods were all over the site, participating and keeping stuff like Burrito has done for going on as long as it has been lately.
I mod another site, and although I'm not there that much, I still make an appearance and at least answer private messages that are sent to me as they forward to my regular email.

monsinour

in my experience of moderation, asking for it is a no-no and even then when asked to be one, most turn it down. There are many many different forums on this board and there should be an active mod for each one.

btldreef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsinour http:///forum/thread/381698/where-are-the-moderators#post_3326240
in my experience of moderation, asking for it is a no-no and even then when asked to be one, most turn it down. There are many many different forums on this board and there should be an active mod for each one.
I agree in most cases.
In the past, if we PM'd a mod about a specific user, it was addressed, the user recieved a warning through PM, it was never openly discussed. We've tried that. The mods aren't responding and Burrito is an idiot who's annoying A LOT of people. Putting them on the ignore list is fine, but when they're in multiple threads for the sole purpose of annoying people, the mods should step in and they used to, but now they're absent.

scott t

+1 BTLD, I know when I used to sign on before when you went to look who was on they would show the Mods in bold and there were many on at once.. I have only see 2 of the old Mods on here since the update. They have just all disappeared I guess.. HMMM, also I posted in the ASK SWF and there has not been a response( in a PM or out in the open) to what I have suggest. No Mods have even commented on it. Well the one that you are talking about causing the havoc I have put on ignore because I can not stand the constant babble from them.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTLDreef http:///forum/thread/381698/where-are-the-moderators#post_3326242
I agree in most cases.
In the past, if we PM'd a mod about a specific user, it was addressed, the user recieved a warning through PM, it was never openly discussed. We've tried that. The mods aren't responding and Burrito is an idiot who's annoying A LOT of people. Putting them on the ignore list is fine, but when they're in multiple threads for the sole purpose of annoying people, the mods should step in and they used to, but now they're absent.

Bang Guy is a Mod and he posted to burrito, who had asked a valid question about microbubbles. I'm on the fence as to if he is a troll or not. I know he can't spell, and he writes in broken English, he may be deaf or possibly a foreigner, it's also possible he is retarded but very funtional. He doesn't curse or do the normal troll stuff, like wayner he asks really dumb questions, unlike wayner he seems to really want to fix something. I don't think wayner is a troll either, but I do think he has ADHD
Burrito does seem to think that as long as his fishy is swimming and eating it is okay. It took some doing but I think he finally at least understood about the mandarine, doesn't mean it isn't still starving in his tank, but I think he will understand why it dies and won't get another one. He ended that thread with poor fishy/bad me.
We can always hit the ignor user option or not answer the thread. When someone really gets under your skin that's about the best you can do.

bang guy

I have responded to every complaint I have received.
I will say that if you respond to a troll instead of just notifying a Mod you reduce the possibility that we can help.
A punch in the nose is assault. A returned punch turns it into a fight and all parties involved will need to be disciplined.

spanko

Why do you need a babysitter (read moderator here) to take care of your dislike for a certain member. You choose whether you want to try to get through and answer as intelligently as you can or not. Don't like it - he - she - ignore, you don't need a mod for that. If more would ignore the "stupid stuff" perhaps the "stupid person" would change or go away.
There are times when I have to leave for a few just because I don't want to get nasty with these peeps. The site is a good one, good folks here, just some that get on your nerves. Don't need a mod to take care of this, need you to take care of it.
JMO

btldreef

It's not just Burrito, I'm just using that as the most recent example.
The ignore button is fine. But pulling up threads from years ago to just post ridiculous comments, etc repeatedly just gets annoying. And I'm not the only one getting annoyed by it, I'm just the only one who posted something publicly about it.
Bang Guy, you are literally the only one who responds to my PM's. What happened to the other mods?

spanko

then when you see it is him in the response section on the page listing recent threads, don't go there. IDK maybe I am being too simplistic.

btldreef

Quote:
Originally Posted by spanko http:///forum/thread/381698/where-are-the-moderators#post_3326325
then when you see it is him in the response section on the page listing recent threads, don't go there. IDK maybe I am being too simplistic.
Many times I'm on my phone, and I can't see who was the last person to post, just that there has been updates on the threads.
Also, if more than one person has posted in the thread, I don't know that a person on my ignore list posted in the thread until I click on it. It just becomes bothersome and frankly I've had enough, this did not go on a year ago.

scott t

I can tell you that I read every new thread that is posted, that is every comment and the only 2 mods that I ever see answering or responding and have see in the who is on section of the boards is Bang Guy and Beth. I know there are many many more mods for these boards. BTLD is Right where have they all gone? Did they not like the change? If they are not coming back then I say that SWF should choose some others that are here on a regular basis to ensure that things do not get out of hand or get to a point that they are now. These boards since the change have become a ghost town. I could sit for hours and read post and not get bored, now its like click refresh to see if there is anything new. I just don't understand what happened. I post a suggestion in this section of the forums to maybe bring back some of the older members but this has not been answered by anyone. I guess I just miss the old SWF boards.

S

smartorl

Let me start by saying, I am one of those frustrated members. I am taking a breather. I logged in this morning purely to pull some info out of my inbox and this thread was at the top and while I wasn't going to respond, I feel I need to.
First, there are members here who I don't "care for" based on ironically on the Aquarium posts. That's fine. I know to steer clear of their postings in that forum but still respond and answer their questions regarding their tanks.
I am not an idiot, there are people who don't see eye to eye about things. That's life, it doesn't make them wrong or right. Everyone is entitled to their opinions and views. I have friends in my life who I dearly adore but I know if we talk about certain subjects, arguements could ensue so why go there. On a forum, someone's views are the basis that you "know" them.
Ok, the "Burrito" situation. I put him on ignore. The bad part is that he posts on multiple threads, mostly those he didn't start. You respond to the original posters question and he will keep interjecting in. The only way to avoid dealing with him would be to not answer the original posters question. That is not fair to that poster.
There is an issue with digging up ancient threads and responding to them, not anything relevant but more like "good job" or that's what I think he is saying since they come out "gud jodb 0-o".
This board has members from around the world. English is the language of the board. I think proper English should be encouraged. This doesn't mean perfect grammar or perfect English, but an attempt should be made to make the posts coherant. While sometimes, I admit I have to read some posts a few times to understand what they are trying to say because of the language barrier, they try and usually, you can figure it out and then it makes perfect sense.
Honest efforts were made to try and help this kid, numerous requests to use proper English so that he could be understood have been made nicely, then not so nicely. He claims to be 11, he claims to be 12. Regardless, in my opinion, he should be warned to use proper English formally. He can do it, he chooses instead to use a bastardized form of chat speak.
There are however, moments of clarity in some of these posts that give you a glimpse into him being smarter than he lets on. He knows about some rather high tech equipment but doesn't know whether his tank is saltwater or not?
We have another young poster here, who's name I will not mention because I don't want to make them feel bad, who can be rather annoying, but he is being a kid. There is no malice, he is trying in earnest and I truly do not think means any offense. I will often just smile and move to another thread.
Comparing these two are like comparing apples to oranges.
Flower, you directly asked this person if they were deaf. They made some sarcastic comment and glossed over it. He isn't stupid, he is using chat speak. My neice is deaf, there is a huge difference here. She is 9 and I guaruntee any person here could understand her intent if she posted.
I am not saying he does not have a right to post here, he does like everyone else however, he should be required to at least make his posts understandable. There aren't many 10-16 year old kids here responding so chat speak really doesn't apply.
It seems like there are no many trolls popping up. I agree that these issues have always existed but have most likely been taken care of so quickly that very few knew of their existance. I have come in numerous times to see a thread laughing about some incident that had happened that I missed.
This was a vibrant, full of life board at one time. It has the potential again. I keep coming back because I really did feel a kindship on this board and met some great lifelong friends here. From the illness of Tobin, this board came together to mourn the loss of a beloved member and I think it tied me emotionally to this board. This for me came at a time when I had just lost my father to cancer.
I keep hoping that the board will rebound and return to it's former state. It does make me sad to see it so slow, this is why I have stuck it out and tried very hard to ignore people like Burrito. However, when only three threads get updated in an hour and he is posting nonsense on each one, it isn't exactly encouraging.

flower

LOL...Smartori...I have to agree, he does seem smarter at times, like two different people have posted..the spelling changes and so does the flavor of the posts. He doesn't know how old he is and I have to admit I can make better sense out of the word Jumbles from the paper that mrdc posts.
I hope you won't get fed up and leave, I won't have anyone left to talk to.

meowzer

I think if someone leaves cause of "certain" people then they have done what they set out to do......
STAY...you are the wanted one.....It has taken a lot for me to ignore all the dumb posts, but as you have noticed, I have refrained from posting to him.
BUT I totally understand the frustration...with the old posts...and the fact that the jibberish is everywhere...and thre are some posts with well written sentences, which makes me very suspicious of this person
I only wish that someone would give him a warning....he does not listen to us...so maybe if a "higher" up were to ask him......maybe....that would help
and if you have....thanks

florida joe

Don’t you old timers miss the days when I was the only rude, crude, obnoxious ,condescending, belligerent and downright grumpy person on the boards
As Bang Guy, Beth, Sir Q and Henry can attest I did have my moments

sparty059

I agree completely with the replies to the threads that have been dead for YEARS. I can't tell you how much that bothers me when "someone" posts a response to a thread from '06. I've also had this SOMEONE respond to my threads with irrelevant comments.
Just some food for thought Mods and SWF.com... people that are new to this board will see this as something that's rather unattractive. It'll push them away and they'll find a new message board to share their information on. I'm glad I came here when I did. I would say there are about eight people I would like to regularly hear from in my posts. Those people are typically the ones that have provided me with more information than I could have ever found on my own. The "Ignore User" feature just doesn't cut it for me sometimes. Reason being is because you still see that they're commenting on the post. At times it makes me wonder... hm, could they really be posting something relevant for me to know? Or will I just be looking at a bunch of babble that'll in turn frustrate me further?
As an enhancement I would recommend when you select "Ignore User" you completely remove them from your message board. You see no trace of them. That would make life so much easier for me, and help calm a little more!
As I said, I'm relatively new to this board, but I've been here long enough to feel that this board is the board I want to partake in. These are the only people I typically speak with about my fish tank and it's nice to have a community to talk to about such a big investment and a community that understands what to do in situations. When people come in and for the lack of a better word *mock* everyone and put stupid posts on here it makes me want to visit the site just a little less every day.
I will say I have noticed the comments minimize in the past couple of weeks. When I had started threads and comments were coming up rather quickly. In the last week or days I've seen it take a couple of hours for someone to create a thread or respond to a question. It's really taking away from the whole message board and making it into ONLY a help guide. Who wants to post pictures or status updates of their tank if no one is going to respond anymore? --- My whole point behind this little rant is that "trolls" or people that are commenting just to get a rise out of people are pretty much making it so people won't respond in order to avoid giving them ammo to write on another thriving thread.
Also a side note - If I bother anyone
... let me know... the last thing I ever want to do is make it so people won't respond to any of my questions or comments.