WHICH SALT should I get now??

2quills

The white residue everyone is talking about, this is the calcium in the salt, no? What are you're guys' mixing techniques, do you just dump the appropriate amounts all in at once or do you do it slowly over the course of time? I seen some folks talking about the residue but when they started mixing the salt with the water in doses (over the course of an hour or two) as apposed to pouring it all in at the same time the residue issues virtually disappeared.

snakeblitz33

2Q - I've noticed it when the water is really cold and/or unheated. Of course, you should never add water to your salt, but always add salt to the water. I've never seen any directions say that it matters if you add it slowly or all at one time. I'm assuming that the white stuff is undissolved trace elements and calcium from the water not being well aerated....
I'de like to know more about it.

2quills

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeBlitz33 http:///t/389007/which-salt-should-i-get-now/80#post_3436713
2Q - I've noticed it when the water is really cold and/or unheated. Of course, you should never add water to your salt, but always add salt to the water. I've never seen any directions say that it matters if you add it slowly or all at one time. I'm assuming that the white stuff is undissolved trace elements and calcium from the water not being well aerated....
I'de like to know more about it.
Hmmm...salt should dissolve easier in cooler water. But I wonder if the other elements have a harder time mixing. I used to pretty much poor it all in withing a matter of a few minutes. But I used to always end up with sediments at the bottom of my container when I was done. Then eventually I guess common sense hit me that the mix didn't seem to dissolve very well that way, so I started adding half of my salt (very slowly) with the mixing pump running full blast and then I'd come back maybe a half hour/hour later and add the other half, wait....test and then adjust. I don't have nearly the same sediment issues with IO as I did in the past this way.

2quills

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowzer http:///t/389007/which-salt-should-i-get-now/80#post_3436718
I have mixed it both ways.....still had the residue
Curious to see what you think of the new stuff.
Another question for anyone. Do you guys ever leave leftover mixed water in your containers or do you guys completely empty them and rinse after doing a water change?
Lois, is the residue you're talking about white and crusty or is it slimy?

florida joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Quills http:///t/389007/which-salt-should-i-get-now/80#post_3436712
The white residue everyone is talking about, this is the calcium in the salt, no? What are you're guys' mixing techniques, do you just dump the appropriate amounts all in at once or do you do it slowly over the course of time? I seen some folks talking about the residue but when they started mixing the salt with the water in doses (over the course of an hour or two) as apposed to pouring it all in at the same time the residue issues virtually disappeared.
The white precipitate one finds at the bottom of their mixing bucket can in fact be undissolved calcium carbonate as you state. This residue can be the result of higher then normal ph. levels. BUT. IMO the most common cause is that the hobbyist has had their salt contaminated with moisture. This causes the calcium chloride and sodium bicarbonate to create calcium carbonate particles with you see as residue

snakeblitz33

The white residue for me in most of my containers is powdery when it's dry.
I only do a water change once a year, if that - so when I mix mine I do the water change, dry out the container and then use it to store papers or books. lol
When I have to mix saltwater for top offs because of low salinity or for whatever reason, I mix it in a plastic water garden can with a lid. Then top off as necessary to get my salinity back up. Lately, my salinity has gone down because the stupid overflow bubbles so much.

btldreef

AquaVitro Salinity actually mixes better in warmer water.
I add I toss a heater in the bucket, warm up the RO and then add in the salt. Usually the salt gets added all within a few minutes, too lazy to wait...

kiefers

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Quills http:///t/389007/which-salt-should-i-get-now/80#post_3436719
Curious to see what you think of the new stuff.
Another question for anyone. Do you guys ever leave leftover mixed water in your containers or do you guys completely empty them and rinse after doing a water change?
Lois, is the residue you're talking about white and crusty or is it slimy?
Personally when I mix I poor the RO in a 38 gallon trash bin, put the pump in and turn it on. I then put the heater in which is always set at 78 degrees. I then add the R/C while the pump is on and pointed up. The salt gets mixed almost imediatley. I then put the lid on the bin but leave enough space to allow for air to get in oand out, basically just put on loosly. After a few hours I check the salinity and make adjustments when and if needed, check pH and adjust if needed. Do the change the next day.
There are times when I do not use all the water and merely poor it out or add to the 5 gallon jug for next time.
That works for me. I have read that folks do the water change right after the water is at the right temp but I have an issue with that. Lol

deejeff442

i have a 300 gallon system so i dont bother checking the temp.i usually take two days of adding salt to the water in my 45 gallon mixing tank.yea the salinity has no residue at all for mebut i do have two korilia pumps in the tank one pointed at the bottom and the other half way up the glass

meowzer

OK....I have my 1st batch of tropic marin pro reef salt mixed......I am very happy to say it is crystal clear
I will be doing the water change shortly.....I need to change out the chemi-pure elite in the canister first

deton8it

LOL, I have a batch of Aquavitro Salinity brewing right now too. I'm going to add it later this evening.
John

deejeff442

yep 40 gallon wc this morning here also.plus i think all my algae is finally dying.i could suck if off the rocks alot easier.