Whisk's Aquapod 24g journal

subielover

Like rotary said, I would go with a fighting conch. They house diatoms, and stay solely in the sand. Best sand cleaner in my opinion, I would still add some nass and ceriths but the conch will be the most helpful

whisk

November 29, 2008
Well, I havent been on in a couple days but I thought I share the news. While I was at the LFS, they did not have any fighting conch for sell. I told the guy there I needed something that would clean the sandbed and I told him everything about the tank so far. He was an honest guy around my age and seemed pretty knowledable. He recommended a sand sifting goby of some sort and I think the impulse bug bit me. I was excited about getting my first fish so soon (I hadnt planned on getting one until after xmas). My sand bed was getting really bad and I heard good things about gobies doing an excellent job moving the sand around. So I went with a Diamond Watchmen Goby.

I must say he got up and running pretty quick and in a matter of hours he was already sifting sand around by the mouthfuls. By morning the sandbed was already starting to look better. He is a shy fish and is only about 3 inches long. Any sudden movements will cause him to zip away to his little hole that he has dug out. Luckily, he is not shy when it comes to feeding time and comes out and will greedily eat anything that comes floating by him.

I have done some research and am a bit worried I have jumped the gun on getting this type of sleeper goby. I have read they require an established tank but also a minimum of a 50g tank size but have read of people keeping them in 30g. I have also read they may starve if there isnt anything left to eat in the sand but he eats frozen food just fine. Most resources I have read said they are very easy to take care of.

Any advice? He's been doing fine for the last couple days, he eats everyday and sand is looking better than ever. I could always take him back for credit, but I know I am going to have to take all the rock out to get him. I have to admit, I like him and the sand is looking great.

subielover

Nice looking fish. Like you I have heard that they will decimate and completely clean smaller tanks fairly quickly. Generally dying in a few months. Just keep an eye on him for now I would say. No impulse buys

whisk

thanks for the tips guys, i'll keep an eye on him for sure. Yeah I read they get up to 6 inches. Yikes, we'll see how it goes.

whisk

I'm around
Just been busy this weekend, I did pick up a couple of frags and I'll have some pics later. One of the cooling fans is starting to make some strange noises and I spent half of yesterday trying to fix it. No good. I've purchase two Silenx fans and will try to install them tonight. I'll have pics later.

whisk

December 1, 2008
The last couple days, one of the fans in the Aquapod has been acting funny, making strange noises almost like the fan is spinning against the plastic. Hoping to fix it, I unscrewed the plastic splash shield and air blasted the fan, figuring dust may have been causing the noise. Nope, that didnt work. I tried several other possibilities, flipping the fan around, not screwing it so tightly in, none of them worked. Cheap fans.
After some research I bought two Silenx 16db 18cfm fans. I had to cut the wires to the stock fans and silenx fans and twist them together. I couldnt directly plug them in because the power plug from the stock fans could not be removed from the circuit board because it was glued down. So wiring them together was the easiest option. I plan on writing a blog soon to discuss how to do this in detail. It wasnt hard, but the Silenx fan wires are not color coded and figuring out which wires connect to the stock fan plug was a pain, especially since the original plug was two wires and the Silenx has three. Anyways here are some pics.
Removing stock fans

Equipment needed for mod (two Silenx fans, wire cutter/stripper, eight 4 x 1-1/4'' screws, eletrical tape)

Wiring Silenx wires to original stock fan plug (notice the noncolor 3 wires, one of them isnt used)

Finished! Two new Silenx fans installed!

The new fans are so much more quieter and seem to push as much air as the old ones. I definitely recommend this mod especially if the fans are too loud for you.
Also, I picked up a couple coral frags over the weekend to get me started. Enjoy the pics!
Purple mushrooms gets a warm greeting from a cerith snail

Tree Leather

Diamond Watchman Goby

hitchhiker mini brittle star

FTS