Whisk's Aquapod 24g journal

whisk

November 8th, 2008
Raw shrimp in 3 days now.
Ammonia 0ppm
So, the red bubble algae issue...I went to the LFS today and asked them about it. They took a look at the pictures I took and got really excited about it! The manager said it was rare and if I wanted I could return the rocks the algae was on they would gladly take it back for a trade! (He was very eager to get it). The guy there said they would grow it and sell it and like I said, he was quite excited about getting it. He told me it was a good macro algae but I told him i didnt want it taking over my tank.
So I thought about it and I made the hard decision to trade the rock back for different LR. It was hard because those 3 rocks I traded had mushrooms, tubeworms, featherdusters, bristleworms, and a small crab living in it and the rock shape was the best shape I had in the tank

I felt instantly relieve in my attempt to be rid of this nuicance algae and to get a clean slate. All I can hope is that this red bubble algae does not appear again and that I made the right choice giving up those rocks. Only time will tell. Hopefully none of the spores got loose.
The new LR I got today was similar in shape and color/condition as the rocks in my tank that didnt have the algae growing on them. It was obvious the rocks I gave up that had the red bubble algae were different both in shape, color, and you could tell there was tons of crap growing on it. So I picked rock today that strayed from that. Hopefully I am lucky and free from it. Cross your fingers.

Here are some new pictures of the new rocks added. The media bag you see contains the 3 day old rotting raw shrimp. Thanks Subielover for the advice on the media bag! Also thanks to Spanko, Mushroomss, Coral Reefer, Cranberry, Subie, and NanoNewb (and anyone else I missed) for their helpful advice on the bubble algae.

nano-newb1983

Looking awesome my man, Sucks you had to lose the rocks with all the goodies. Looks just as awesome with the new rocks.. Cant wait for corals and fish

subielover

Looks great, I really really like the new aquascaping
I think you made the right decisions trading the rock in, IMO you will still have some hitchhikers
Coming along great.

spanko

Yup just keep watching, things will be popping up and out of the rock soon. As far as it being good macro algae, it is all in what you want. I would suspect someone like Reneee (Cranberry) would like some of it for her horse tank. Some would also like it for the fuge. One persons pest is another person good macro algae!!!!!!

whisk

Thanks for all your support guys. I think I made the best decision too. The new rocks are cool and I already have seen some new worms (3 white worms with bristles sticking their bodies out of the rock) and something else I'm not sure what it is. Some type of boring clam or mussel??? I notice it inside the hole of the rock and when I shined my flashlight it closed its mouth and pulled itself into the hole deeper. I'll post in ID section as well. Here's a pic of it:

And heres a top down of the tank so you can see the atoll rock formation. I'll post new test results tomorrow.

[ronnie]

damn, just took the time to read though your thread. Man i want to know where the hell you picked up your liverock.. i barley got ---- on mine! ahha,,
i had a few things that i have no idea how to identify but i will take closer pics of it shorlty and post them in my thread.
1 thing i picked up from your thread was TUBEWORMS. I believe i saw one in my tank! I thought it was s stem or somthiing growing on one of my rocks, but now that i look at it on your pictures its the exact same ---- i have! haha
Tank is looking beautiful man, keep up the good work.

whisk

Originally Posted by [Ronnie]
http:///forum/post/2831756
damn, just took the time to read though your thread. Man i want to know where the hell you picked up your liverock.. i barley got ---- on mine! ahha,,
i had a few things that i have no idea how to identify but i will take closer pics of it shorlty and post them in my thread.
1 thing i picked up from your thread was TUBEWORMS. I believe i saw one in my tank! I thought it was s stem or somthiing growing on one of my rocks, but now that i look at it on your pictures its the exact same ---- i have! haha
Tank is looking beautiful man, keep up the good work.
Yeah they were loaded. Honestly, they were rocks I probably shouldn't have brought home because they werent the best cured rocks, there was some decaying matter on them and that annoying bubble algae. I'll miss the hitchhikers on them but I do know I have some that have stayed behind.
The tubeworms are cool, if you put some sand grains near them they will pick they up and drag them to their tube so they can build upon it. Pretty crazy. Looking forward to your hitchhiker pics, i'll stop by your thread soon to check them out.

[ronnie]

bleh, my thread is boring for the time being and hopfully pickup soon... im still waiting to move into the new office and that way i can start adding more ---- and monitoring the tank more often.. i never see it now.. which kinda helps me with my cycle.. i have not even ran a test on my water and its been running for 2 weeks or so now... i dont see a point in testing it now as i am not adding anything for at least another 3 more weeks..

whisk

Originally Posted by [Ronnie]
http:///forum/post/2831767
bleh, my thread is boring for the time being and hopfully pickup soon... im still waiting to move into the new office and that way i can start adding more ---- and monitoring the tank more often.. i never see it now.. which kinda helps me with my cycle.. i have not even ran a test on my water and its been running for 2 weeks or so now... i dont see a point in testing it now as i am not adding anything for at least another 3 more weeks..
You should at least give it a test so you know where youre at and it will give you something to post in your thread and talk about.

nano-newb1983

whisk
im sure u mentioned somewhere on here, but what all did you take out and put in the back chambers? i just got my 12 aquapod..

whisk

Originally Posted by NaNo-NeWb1983
http:///forum/post/2833199
whisk
im sure u mentioned somewhere on here, but what all did you take out and put in the back chambers? i just got my 12 aquapod..
I took out the sponges, bioballs, ceramics. I replaced stock pump with mj-1200 and added an eggcrate rack to hold the floss, chemipure, chaeto. Thats about it.