Who are you (member photo thread)

snakeblitz33

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlablan http:///t/378595/who-are-you-member-photo-thread/1020#post_3518126
I would love a nikon but we have a few L lenses and they are $$$. If I get a Nikon, I would have to switch over and would have to buy all new stuff. That is just not probable. I am thinking we may get a new camera, probably the nicest of the canons. Maybe that will be christmas this year. This camera needs a new sensor... I just haven't taken it in. Also, it's a few models behind now. Im trying to decide about getting a new one or just tuning this one up. The price difference is substantial.
I get great results with the macro lens. I seem to shoot the best with the macro lens over anything else, especially when it comes to the tanks.
I shoot everything on automatic, with the highest shutter speed, even when shooting stationary things like inverts or corals. I also take 3 to 5 pictures every time I click the button. That way, I am guaranteed to get something. Everything moves so much, especially fish. There is no way I can get things in focus enough to get a good shot, and have it be of the fish I want. The macro lens also can be finicky to focus. You have to be at the exact right point to get your subject in focus. Lets not even talk about when I use the extension tubes.
It will test your patience.
I just really like to get those details in the corals and get good texture. And of course, the better the lens, the better the bokeh. :)
I hear yah. I chose Nikon right off the bat because I didn't want to have to buy different lenses when I wanted to upgrade... Definitely something to consider when purchasing a new camera! If the one you have is working for you, then you should probably replace the sensor. At least, that would be what I would do first.
That's cool. I can never get enough light into the sensor if I choose the highest shutter speed... which on my camera is 1/4000 of a second. I usually shoot my reef photos at about 1/125 or 1/200 shutter speed. The automatic function on the Nikon is great - but I've found that I can really tweak the colors by setting up the manual settings before a shoot. I found a website that has a lot of good information on aquarium photography that you may find interesting to read if you have the opportunity.
Thanks for the tips on the macro lens. I don't have the budget for a macro lens at this point, but might in the future. Right now I'm trying to learn how to use my 18-55mm kit lens and my 50-200mm zoom lens (Both Nikor) to the best of my ability. I've always heard that a prime lens though gives better quality and less distortion as well - eh, photography is another expensive hobby, isn't it??
Bokeh is nice sometimes as well... I've tried my hand at some outdoor insect and garden shots. I *really* wish I had a macro lens, because I really enjoy the tiny world around us.

novahobbies

Well, photos of me are hard to find unless you've visited your local post office lately. However, I submit the following fairly recent shot. Folks who are coming to MACNA will want this to pic me out from the crowd:

jamesculter

Since this is originally my dads site he left me to get my tank going. Decided to include a pic of him he sent me a few days ago. On the way to his duty station, he made a emergency landing from failed hydraulics and was forced to land in Japan.

deejeff442

MY WIFE JUST CAMEIN THE HOUSE.SEEMS THERE IS A BIG RAT ON THE SIDE OF MY CHICKEN COOPS. LOADING THE .22 RIFLE AND HEADING OUT

foodshape

Well, since I've been pestering some of you for advice (and am surely not done yet
) I guess it couldn't hurt to show myself:
On vacation last summer. Yup, obviously another guy with a mid-life fishkeeping crisis. (That's my angle to the wife so far - this hobby's still way less than a red sportscar.)

PS: bragging rights to anyone who can guess which river that is. (If anyone knows the actual town this is in I will be rather awed).

deejeff442

zain river. ...and if you stick with the hobbie for a few years you can buy a sports car. i bet i spent 20k+ over my years, my sportscar (hot rod ) comes next spring

foodshape

Nope not the zain (you got even with me though - where the heck is that?) I'm guessing I've spent somewhere in the 10k-12K range on the FW side of the hobby over a few decades... I realize the cost per gallon will be significantly higher on the SW (esp. reef) side though! Still, keeping my current 12-yr old ride going at around 2k/yr in maintenance has to at least rival the upkeep of a reasonable reef setup? <smiley for scared goes here> I'm sure the upkeep on a spiffy exotic car (or date) would be more, lol. I'll stick with the fish.

foodshape

lol, ok, it is in Europe (this was a special anniversary vacation). I'll throw in a clue that should just about give the river away... it's not the colour it's reputed to be. The town is a tougher one but there is a clue that would enable any serious history buff, or anyone willing to google it, to get it as well.