Why not clams?

florida joe

While I would not recommend this for the entry level hobbyist. Why not a Nano tank devoted to clams. The very things that make clams hard to keep, lighting and water movement can be easily achieved in a smaller tank devoted to just clams. They certainly are beautiful enough to stand up against the beauty of most if not all corals. Once establish they would IMO be rather low maintenance. I think they would make a nice addition to the hobbyist’s office. Just food for thought.
BTW I acquired this Maxima yesterday, I may just take my own suggestion and start a small clam only tank myself

deejeff442

i have two different clams in my tank .the tank is 33 inches tall and both clams are at the bottom.they just keep growing.i dont do anything to them.they seem pretty easy to keep.

florida joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejeff442 http:///t/389941/why-not-clams#post_3449691
i have two different clams in my tank .the tank is 33 inches tall and both clams are at the bottom.they just keep growing.i dont do anything to them.they seem pretty easy to keep.
I personally think they get a bad deal when it comes to how difficult it is to keep them. This link is a rather good one for those looking for info on clams
http://www.reefcorner.com/clams.htm

deejeff442

i really want to step up to a maxima.and i will when i get the next tank set up.i do plan to go all out on the big tank.i have most of what i need but i think i might invest in a calcium reactor .just because i know i have 50+ corals now and going to a tank twice as big i will be adding plenty more.i love the clams and i am sure i will add a few more.

florida joe

Good thinking on the reactor, clams are light sponges and absolutely need ample levels of calcium to survive

florida joe

Clams know best. I placed the maxima to afford me the best viewing, but it seems that the clam had a better idea. It literally rotated itself so that it is now facing the exact center of my MH bulb

S

siptang

I want to get a deresa clam but I'm scared that I don't have nearly enough light for it...

S

siptang

Do you think what I have is enough for the clam?
I posted this info on your thread too... sorry for the spam. :x
Fixture Size: 48.00" x 5.00" x 1.00" (Add 0.65" in height with bracket installed)
LEDs Count: 54
3340 Lumens
Super energy efficient 1 watt HQ LEDs
46x 10,000K LEDs
8x Actinic 460nm LEDs
Use 54 watts
72g bow front. 4' wide x I forgot how tall it is. :/
also what do i have to do to keep this sucker alive?
my buddy wants to sell me one for $25 and it's pretty darn big.

S

siptang

lmbo, love affair continues here in SWF.
I heard that deresa should be placed on sandy beds. Would they do good regardless of their position?
so if not on top then no chance right?

deejeff442

i have a 7 inch derasa .they like the bottom. mine moves around alot.my center mh blew the ballast so i only have 2 250 watts and the clam is fine.i dont want to fix this unit because i plan 4 pendant lights for the new tank.

gemmy

The derasa clam really doesn't "anchor" itself like other clams and would be prone to being knocked over. However, if you would like to add a derasa and are only able to add it up high due to light, you can place the clam in a container with sand. Now, you would have to take precautions with placement and keep in mind if you have inhabitants that will knock the clam over.

gemmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejeff442 http:///t/389941/why-not-clams#post_3450032
i can knock mine over and it gets back up pretty fast.pretty cool how it moves around
I was just giving a suggestion if Sip wanted to place his clam up in his rock work. A derasa really won't be able to tolerate being thrashed down the rockwork.

deejeff442

i hear ya,i have been going pm with him about his lights.i dont know much about the new led light systems so i dont know if they are strong enough for a clam.

gemmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejeff442 http:///t/389941/why-not-clams#post_3450035
i hear ya,i have been going pm with him about his lights.i dont know much about the new led light systems so i dont know if they are strong enough for a clam.
Unfortunately with his lights, I would say definite no on the substrate for the derasa. It is doable if he can make a derasa ledge at the top the of his rockwork.