why so angry everybody ?

crypt keeper

Originally Posted by Darthtang AW
http:///forum/post/3223965
I agree....in fact, lets just shut down the aquarium, after all, compared to the rest of the forums, only a handful of people post in here regularly.I mean threads like these really bring this entire forum down...
https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/vb/s...d.php?t=372648
It would be tough to ban political discussions, since almost any thread can spark one....The which gun should I purchase thread almost did...because someone had to interject there position against guns...discussions of current events and goings on in the world would need to be banned as well...since these will spark debate.
To be honest, a politics mod is probably needed...someone that can watch out for the name calling and racial overtures...amongst other things...
Threads like that dont really bring the board down. Some people have fun with them. God forbid somebody disagree with your views on politics. You will hammer them. The main issue is that people like you who believe in certain things to the core ruin threads. You make smartass comments all the time thinking you're funny. Some people like myself take them in stride and can laugh. Most cannot.
I have seen it many times with you and a few others. One person says something you dont like BOOM Stephen King Novel sized reply as to why they are wrong and daring them to come back with hard facts. Then its tumbles down hill from there. If people ignore people like the guy in the gun thread, then thats it, he says what he needs to say and its ignored. Problem is you cant and either can the few others.
Just for giggles. i went and looked up your post. You have 224 actual post trying to do things outside the aqaurium. Your last 150+ post have been in this Area of the forum. Most being a flat out jerk or imposing your views in a political thread. You dont want these threads banned because you would no longer matter or have a say. You have nothing to do with this boards actual reason for being here. You come here talk talk talk about poltics or why this is the way it should or shouldnt be. This board doesnt need people like you.

scotts

Originally Posted by TangMan99
http:///forum/post/3223902
Here's an idea. As the aquarium appears to have become dominated by political threads, start a political section so everyone that likes to debate can do so freely and leave the aquarium uncluttered. I personally would seldom visit that section as I have yet to gain anything of any use or value from any of the political discussions in the past. I've commented in a few but tend to ignore them these days as most are just a resurection of a beaten and dead horse.
I proposed that awhile ago. It was a no go. Now I have learned how to block all the political turds so they do not even show up on my screen at all. Now they can spew all their bile and I don't see it. Is it the ideal solution - no. Does it work for me - you betcha!

bang guy

Originally Posted by reefraff
http:///forum/post/3224038
On other forums that appear to be running the same software you have here there is an red triangle "report post" button below the Avitars. If you could add that feature here it would be helpful.
Just PM a link to the post and I promise to look at it.

darthtang aw

Originally Posted by crypt keeper
http:///forum/post/3224044
Threads like that dont really bring the board down. Some people have fun with them. God forbid somebody disagree with your views on politics. You will hammer them. The main issue is that people like you who believe in certain things to the core ruin threads. You make smartass comments all the time thinking you're funny. Some people like myself take them in stride and can laugh. Most cannot.
I have seen it many times with you and a few others. One person says something you dont like BOOM Stephen King Novel sized reply as to why they are wrong and daring them to come back with hard facts. Then its tumbles down hill from there. If people ignore people like the guy in the gun thread, then thats it, he says what he needs to say and its ignored. Problem is you cant and either can the few others.
True, I am a smartass most of the time, and I tend to try to leave the smartass comments to those that realize this. sometimes I fail....
The thing you are missing is some of us post this stuff for the debate. we love the debate, and sometime (rarely but it does happen) we cause each other to view something differently. uneverno has done this on occasion with myself.
You comment that if people ignore people like the guy in the gun thread nothing occurs....the same can be true if people ignore those of us that post politics...
The issue isn't the discussion/disagreeing itself. the issue is having the discussion in the proper threads and having them civilly. People disagree in a civil manner all the time.
Sorry, kept it short, I am in the middle of my latest novel to be released under my psuedo Stephen King.

stdreb27

Originally Posted by reefraff
http:///forum/post/3224038
On other forums that appear to be running the same software you have here there is an red triangle "report post" button below the Avitars. If you could add that feature here it would be helpful.
They played with that back in the day, but it never was around for long. I'd assume because it generated too many hits.

crypt keeper

http:///forum/post/3224056
True, I am a smartass most of the time, and I tend to try to leave the smartass comments to those that realize this. sometimes I fail....
The thing you are missing is some of us post this stuff for the debate. we love the debate, and sometime (rarely but it does happen) we cause each other to view something differently. uneverno has done this on occasion with myself.
You comment that if people ignore people like the guy in the gun thread nothing occurs....the same can be true if people ignore those of us that post politics...
The issue isn't the discussion/disagreeing itself. the issue is having the discussion in the proper threads and having them civilly. People disagree in a civil manner all the time.
Sorry, kept it short, I am in the middle of my latest novel to be released under my psuedo Stephen King.
If people disagreed in a civil manner then why was this thread made? Its obviously out of control. The reason for this board is too attract people to a hobby and allow the owners to make a few bucks. These threads arent few and far between and the heated battles are a daily adventure. Its annoying. People just need to grow up and realize this isnt the time or place. They have a board its
www.ImNotHappySoIblameSombodyElse.com
all of you should join it.

darthtang aw

Originally Posted by crypt keeper
http:///forum/post/3224061
If people disagreed in a civil manner then why was this thread made? Its obviously out of control. The reason for this board is too attract people to a hobby and allow the owners to make a few bucks. These threads arent few and far between and the heated battles are a daily adventure. Its annoying. People just need to grow up and realize this isnt the time or place. They have a board its
www.ImNotHappySoIblameSombodyElse.com
all of you should join it.
This thread was created because of 2 threads I am assuming....
The rest isn't worth the effort to respond to. You hate politics, I hate kittens....should we ban them just because we dislike them?

reefraff

http:///forum/post/3224066
This thread was created because of 2 threads I am assuming....
The rest isn't worth the effort to respond to. You hate politics, I hate kittens....should we ban them just because we dislike them?
OK, lets make a pact. Place a capital P at the beginning of a political thread ie; "P Wasteful spending" So those who hate political threads wont open it and accidentally read a bunch of posts

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Its not just the obviously political threads, that people can choose to avoid failing all else. Its the pervasive comments that weave through many many other topics that have nothing to do with politics, or political mindsets.
Really, its not just politics, it is a way of life, a belief system that some of you hold dear. Nothing wrong with that at all, except that having it crammed down others throats in flaming disagreements, name calling, and even flaming avatars can be offensive and non-beneficial to this site.
If someone posts here a proselytizing topic about religion, it would go down so quick you could hardly blink an eye. Yet, many of these political topics have a good deal of proselytizing undertones. Not about religion, but of your own personal beliefs and bias. And, who is interested in that? Really, just the handful of like-minded, because the rest of us would rather not hear it and, in fact, are willing to leave the site to get away from it especially when this frequently has unpleasant personal undertones and snideness to it.

darthtang aw

Originally Posted by Beth
http:///forum/post/3224131
Its not just the obviously political threads, that people can choose to avoid failing all else. Its the pervasive comments that weave through many many other topics that have nothing to do with politics, or political mindsets.
Really, its not just politics, it is a way of life, a belief system that some of you hold dear. Nothing wrong with that at all, except that having it crammed down others throats in flaming disagreements, name calling, and even flaming avatars can be offensive and non-beneficial to this site.
If someone posts here a proselytizing topic about religion, it would go down so quick you could hardly blink an eye. Yet, many of these political topics have a good deal of proselytizing undertones. Not about religion, but of your own personal beliefs and bias. And, who is interested in that? Really, just the handful of like-minded, because the rest of us would rather not hear it and, in fact, are willing to leave the site to get away from it especially when this frequently has unpleasant personal undertones and snideness to it.
True, and I can understand that. but this is a person to person issue, not a thread issue then. which makes the issue that much harder to handle.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
http:///forum/post/3224150
True, and I can understand that. but this is a person to person issue, not a thread issue then. which makes the issue that much harder to handle.
I'd say yes. Political topics per say is not the issue. Personal bias and animosity that arise from them is, or even just those issues that manage to get inserted into other topics. What is the solution?
Hopefully, a bit more respect for fellow hobbyists while here at SWF.com, even if you hate their politics. I know there must be plenty of political boards out there where belittling the other side is mainstay, however, this is a fish site that welcomes all and does not want to drive anyone off.
Anyway, I've been on the soap box long enough. I know Guy is saying, "There she goes again.
"
Yeah, I was on the pro-DSB side of things and I remember some really heated discussions. Good olé days.