Yellow tang with poor color?

spiderwoman

El Guapo, you are beating a dead horse. No matter what anybody here says, he won't change anything. He believes his fish is not stressed out, being picked on by anybody else and the tank size is perfect. What else is there?

ccampbell57

Ok lets set some things straight here. First of all, there is nothing wrong with giving advise to anyone about anything as long as there is some fact behind it.
Sly - there is not a clique here on SWF.com. We are a community of avid saltwater addicts. We care very deeply for our fish and others. It is a great place to come and share advice and personal experiences. What is not taken lightly is when people come onto the boards and call us out for being "police" or "nazi's". These conotations bring with them a very tainted ora. As for your cut and pastes from --. This is a VERY well known post that you just happened to take completely out of context. If you read this post and the header it is a permament sticky "WHat tang for a 30g??"
As for the minimum size tanks for tangs, these are just that...THE BARE MINIMUM to consider having the fish for your collection. This does not mean this is the right size for life of the fish. What people here are trying to tell you is that your fish may be fine for 6-12 months, but long term (i.e. 2-5 years, you will have issues if you dont upgrade.)
Personally, I am sick of discussing whether your tank is big enough, or whether you can mix multiple LARGE fish in a small tank. I know that the majority of people in this hobby dont have the room or the funding to add a large tank, but that does not mean they should try to stick a round peg in a square hole. THere are thousands of smaller fish that would be happy in a 55-75g tank without issue. If you want the bigger tank, then spend your money and time getting that tank and stock accordingly. I can tell you right now, if my big tank was not in the works I would not have the stocklist I have. They are in a temporary home.
I hope that we can continue to share our experiences with you on your fish and help you out with any issues you may encounter. I am truly sorry that you choose to keep touching the sore subject of tangs in a small tank, but I guess this will be one of those dark subjects till the end of time.
In the meantime, continue to buy Spotted Sweetlips because they are "soo cute", get a shark for a 100g because you "have a zoo that will take them", I hear that a bumble-bee grouper is great for a 180??? Oh yeah they get up to 4'.and call us out for our beliefs on being Tang Police or Nazi's because "we have no clue what we are talking about".
I can tell you right now, that the "clique" at -- will tell you the EXACT same thing! TRUST me, this tang in a small tank is becoming a huge issue accross many sites.
NO MORE TANGS IN SMALL TANKS IN '08!

S

saltman23

Spiderwoman, i think i would know if my fish were being picked on by others. You must not put words in my mouth!

S

sexyshrimp101

Originally Posted by SlyCoolman
http:///forum/post/2477518
Since when am I the only one recommending these sizes?
From wetwebmedia
and from the ULTIMATE tang police, reefcentral, in a pinned topic (reference Scott Michael, Marine Fishes, 500+ Essential-To-Know Aquarium Species, Microcosm Ltd., 1999:)
Like Crash said, this is minimum AT BEST...

ccampbell57

BTW...here is the sticky from -- on the tang topic:
So for those of you that want the real post at -- here it is:
The moderators and staff of -- are tired of squabbles about whether it's OK to put a tang in a small tank or whether it's OK to have multiple tangs in any tank. As a reminder:
Here at --, we believe that dialogs between participants should be conducted in a friendly and helpful manner. If you disagree with a posting, please express yourself in a way that is conducive to further constructive dialog. Conversely, when you post on any given subject, you must be willing to accept constructive criticism without posting a hostile or inflammatory response. Personal attacks of any kind will not be tolerated. Please let’s work to insure that Reef Central remains a friendly and flame free site where everyone, especially newcomers, can feel free to post questions without fear of being unfairly criticized. Thank you for your cooperation.
If you think someone is getting out of line, please report the post to the moderators. Do not attempt to take matters into your own hands.
For newcomers we offer the following advice. This is not intended to be the last word in tang keeping, but we suggest you should challenge this advice only if you have a good basis for doing so:
1. Tangs are not good choices for newly set up aquaria. To thrive they need a stable environment with pristine water conditions. Anyone thinking their newly set up aquarium is stable is invited to read through the following thread:
Maturity Issues
2. Tangs are medium to large, active fish that need plenty of space. On the question of tank sizes, we defer to Scott W. Michael, who recommends the following minimum sizes in Marine Fishes, 500+ Essential-To-Know Aquarium Species, Microcosm Ltd., 1999:
Acanthurus achilles, Achilles Surgeonfish, 100 gal (380l).
Acanthurus coeruleus, Atlantic Blue Tang, 75 gal (285l).
Acanthurus japonicus, Powder Brown Tang, 75 gal (285l).
Acanthurus leucosternon, Powder Blue Tang, 100 gal (380l).
Acanthurus lineatus, Lined or Clown Surgeonfish, 180 gal (680l).
Acanthurus nigricans, Whitecheek Surgeonfish, 75 gal (285l).
Acanthurus olivaceus, Orangeshoulder Surgeonfish, 135 gal (510l).
Acanthurus pyroferus, Mimic Surgeonfish, 75 gal (285l).
Acanthurus sohal, Sohal Surgeonfish, 180 gal (680l).
Acanthurus tristegus, Convict Surgeonfish, 75 gal (285l).
Acanthurus tristis, Indian Mimic Surgeonfish, 75 gal (285l).
Ctenochaetus hawaiiensis, Chevron Tang, 100 gal (380l)
Ctenochaetus strigosus, Kole's Tang, 75 gal (285l).
Naso brevirostris, Spotted Unicornfish, 180 gal (685l)
Naso lituratus, Orangespine Unicornfish or Naso Tang, 135 gal (510l).
Naso unicornis, Bluespine Unicornfish, 200 gal (760l).
Paracanthurus hepatus, Pacific Blue Tang, 100 gal (380l).
Zebrasoma desjardinii, Indian Ocean or Red Sea Sailfin Tang, 135 gal (510l).
Zebrasoma flavescens, Yellow Tang, 75 gal (285l).
Zebrasoma scopas, Brown Tang, 75 gal (285l).
Zebrasoma veliferum, Sailfin Tang, 135 gal (510l).
Zebrasoma xanthurum, Purple Tang, 100 gal (380l).
You will note that none of these minimum sizes are less than 75 gallons. If you have a tang in a smaller tank, you should expect that some people will give you a hard time about it. Expressing outrage about that could result in suspension of your posting privileges. We are not, BTW, giving a free pass to the self-styled "Tang Police" to be abusive.
3. The above sizes assume a standard rectangular shape with plenty of open swimming space. If your tank is full to the brim with coral, your tang won't be happy. Tanks 125G or larger are assumed to be at least six feet long (approx. two meters). Where possible, choose longer rather than deeper shapes
. While smaller species may be OK in a four foot tank, they will probably do better in a five foot or longer tank.

4. We do not condone the practice of keeping more than one specimen of the same or very similar species together in the same aquarium, except possibly for Zebrasoma species in a very large tank.
5. If you wish to keep multiple dissimilar tangs in the same aquarium, we recommend you have an aquarium significantly larger than the sizes listed above.

spiderwoman

Originally Posted by SpiderWoman
http:///forum/post/2477606
He believes his fish is not
stressed out, being picked on by anybody else and the tank size is perfect. What else is there?

See the word *NOT* and it applies to the sentence as in NOT stressed out, NOT being picked on by anybody... and no I'm not putting words in your mouth.

S

saltman23

we will all have are own opinions. but i must say some comments are quiet harsh considering there has been no pics or specs posted yet!

S

sexyshrimp101

Originally Posted by Saltman23
http:///forum/post/2473448
no stress. I have had him for 4 years and has never had ich. its tankmates include a damsel clown flame and a naso. the tank size is a 75

http:///forum/post/2473462
nope. paremeters are perfect. even had the lfs check it. NA 0 NI 0 AM 0 PH 8.2 Salinity .22

http:///forum/post/2473507
i also have about 60 pounds of live rock
I think these are all considered specs, plus the video, which I believe counts as pics...anyways...

S

saltman23

I will not need the luck.....crashbandicoot....you might want to keep some though....you will prolly need it.

slycoolman

Crash Bandicoot - I see what you mean about the tank sizes thing being convoluted. I admit more than the size of the tank needs to be considered, ie, the tankmates and rockwork.
Saltman23 I see that by the video the angel does seem to be buggering the tang a little, these guys are known to be feisty. It may be worth it to take either the angel or the tang back to the store. Or, you could put the flame in your fifty five and move the coral beauty to the 75 gallon. JMO.
To clarify, the main thing I was trying to refute was the doomsday messages; ie, 1journeyman says "I hope it goes alright but I cannot see how it would". Secondly, I am not saying the tang wouldn't be best off in a bigger tank because 99% of fish would be, they come from the ocean after all. What I am trying to get across is that, the tang will be fine in that tank size IMO. I apologize for coming off as a "troll" as doing so was not in my priorities.

S

saltman23

for the controversy over the tang and angel...they have since worked things out and everything is fine. That video was takin 2 days after i had introduced the angel so they were still working it out.

slycoolman

A 33, a twenty, and a ten. The first is a growout for juvie preds (I have a big system downstairs, just need lights, water and substrate to set it up) and the twenty will house a dwarf lionfish, but as of now only houses corals and inverts. The ten is for growing out pink convict babies. The thirty three is quite overstocked by most standards, including mine, with seven anemones plus several fish and loads of coral including a sarcophyton that probably weighs five pounds, but I maintain it diligently. In the past I kept FOWLR.