Your Best Aquarium Stories Featured Monthly!

tirtza

First let me start off by saying that I absolutely love my mother in law. Unfortunately she lives all the way back home in NYC. I've been telling her about my SW hobby which she's been 'kind of' curious about.... but she really doesn't understand or know anything about my new hobby. It wasn't until this past week that I was finally able to show her my pride and joy! As much as I love her, it still felt like a verrrrrry long visit. My mother in-law is eccentric to say the least. Here are just a few of her little eccentric characteristics......
-She LOVES to be the center of attention
-She talks non-stop
-She often uses to Yiddish to insult people (without them realizing it of course)
-She insists on drinking everything out of a wine glass (including coffee)
-When she curses she can make even a seasoned New Yorker blush
-She shops like a madwoman
-Smokes (not tobacco) when ever she thinks she's lost her appetite ... the smoking usually coincides with when she's watching Dancing with the Stars
-She swears she's not wearing enough jewelry if the metal detector at the museum (where she volunteers) doesn't go off
-Every Friday she sends her loved ones (including my fish and coral) an e-mail wishing us all "Shabbat Shalom" (happy sabbath)
She's a little tornado....a total force of nature, but she's amazingly unique. As fun as she is.....I was REALLY ready for the day when she'd be going back home. I was exhausted and I was waaaay stressed out.
At the end of the trip, on her last day of her visit, she happened to accompany me to the LFS to pick up some more RO water. It was her first time in an LFS and she was immediatley hooked. She ran around the SW area offering to by me numerous fish and coral that she thought were 'cute'. She was pointing at everything and asking 'can we add this...can we add that....etc... She was very disappointed to find out that most of the critters she pointed out wouldn't be compatible with my tank. I eventually let her buy me a rock with some mushrooms on it which made her very very excited. I decided to call it 'The Margie Rock'.
I learned a very valuable lesson.......each time my mother in-law visits and I'm beginning to feel like I just can't handle it anymore, I'm taking her to the LFS :)

tirtza

I'm a little confused, do you already have one rickross23...or just not yet?? Ya never know what your going to get, I've heard some horror stories from friends of mine. Mine is certainly not your average mother in law, and she may really drive me crazy sometimes....but I love her and I know that I definitely lucked out! :)

tirtza

hahahahaha.....oh okay! When I first read your post I thought it sounded like you already had a mother in-law but that she wouldn't be around much longer (as if she had a life threatening illness or something)! You still have plenty of time before you get one, and my hope for you is that she's amazing

tirtza

lol....I'll be happy to share her, but you'll have to be able to handle a very feisty, opinionated, woman! She's offered to help my husband and I (just a portion) with buying our first house...we are a little worried and not sure if we'll take her up on it...nothing is really 'free'. We'll end up paying somehow.

tirtza

Oh my gosh you're right!!! I never thought of it that way.... It's kind of like providing a down payment on an assisted living facility, except our house will be that facility. Oh boy, this is definitely something Derek and I should take into consideration.

S

siptang

Tell her that you guys want to make it on your own. :)
she will understand.

S

siptang

It's been a while and I will post what has happened yesterday.
I was trying to install HOB reef octopus skimmer on the back of my tank yesterday. Something went wrong and it flooded my floor while I went to restroom.
It drained about 2-3 gallons of water onto my floor and my sump started to empty out. With fan going on in the sump, my temperature dropped fast in the sump and my heater went on.
(I have my apex set ato come on at 76 and to turn off a 78 degrees) Problem. No water in sump heater is mounted to the wall of sump.. what happened? It almost caught on fire and I had to desperately find out which one hooked up to my apex was heater and unplug it. (i ended up pulling the whole plug in the end)
Disaster I tell you... it's something that I never want to experience again.
After that fiasco, I pulled out my skimmer and purchased in sump reef octopus model and placed all of my probes inside my tank so that my heater won't ever freak out like that again.
Took hours cleaning up and I wasn't happy and it went -2 on unhappiness when Mrs saw the mess and started to raise hell.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siptang http:///t/388649/your-best-aquarium-stories-featured-monthly/220#post_3476245
It's been a while and I will post what has happened yesterday.
I was trying to install HOB reef octopus skimmer on the back of my tank yesterday. Something went wrong and it flooded my floor while I went to restroom.
It drained about 2-3 gallons of water onto my floor and my sump started to empty out. With fan going on in the sump, my temperature dropped fast in the sump and my heater went on.
(I have my apex set ato come on at 76 and to turn off a 78 degrees) Problem. No water in sump heater is mounted to the wall of sump.. what happened? It almost caught on fire and I had to desperately find out which one hooked up to my apex was heater and unplug it. (i ended up pulling the whole plug in the end)
Disaster I tell you... it's something that I never want to experience again.
After that fiasco, I pulled out my skimmer and purchased in sump reef octopus model and placed all of my probes inside my tank so that my heater won't ever freak out like that again.
Took hours cleaning up and I wasn't happy and it went -2 on unhappiness when Mrs saw the mess and started to raise hell.
Well at least the house was still standing, I'm glad you are safe and no fires. I tag each plug-in so I know what power cord line leads to what. I also put all pumps on a single power supply so I have an emergency shut off button.