Your Best Aquarium Stories Featured Monthly!

flower

I did indeed start the build thread called Pot Bellied Seahorses (which live in a cold marine tank)....What I meant to say is that the stories are not over...everytime we change something, or add something new...even a water change mishap are all potential stories....no need to think this thread is going anywhere.

mr. limpid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///t/388649/your-best-aquarium-stories-featured-monthly/180#post_3465970
I did indeed start the build thread called Pot Bellied Seahorses (which live in a cold marine tank)....What I meant to say is that the stories are not over...everytime we change something, or add something new...even a water change mishap are all potential stories....no need to think this thread is going anywhere.
Well I think it will die on its own, because it is March 20th and we have not herd from the author of this thread. Nor has there been a winner from February listed yet.

meowzer

LOL...I have nothing to do with this....and I guess no one noticed the contest had ended :)
You guys were apparently enjoying the stories so much you just kept going with them

S

siptang

Because they need something on there lol. ^-^
no worries, we will keep the thread alive regardless.

markc212

Here's a quick non-existent story that is about no tank in particular.
Having had a freshwater tank at home now for 7 years, and having embarked on the journey that is saltwater for 3 years, my 8 yr old son has naturally fallen in love with the hobby. He often explains to staff at LFS's what's going with our tank, why we shouldn't get certain species, what we're intending on doing with the tanks, how the chaeto benefits water chemistry, etc. He's become quite a wealth of knowledge in his own right.
Of course, now he wants his own tank. He's decided to start small so he wants the Fluval Ebi or Flora tank so he can keep some small fish, snails, and shrimp. Instead of launching headfirst into this, I decide this is a good time to teach him a little lesson in accounting. He thinks the tank costs $90 and that's it. Ah, time for the lesson. Heater ($15), Shrimp (4 for $19 (he wants 8)), Emblers (6 @ $4 each = $24), food, plants, decorations, etc. All told, the final estimate comes out to $225. He's only got $270 in his savings account.
So I ask the natural question.... "Are your really sure you want to spend almost all your money on this tank?"
His answer... "Yes, you're paying for half."
WHAT?!!! It was tough keeping a straight face. I gotta give him props for trying.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by markc212 http:///t/388649/your-best-aquarium-stories-featured-monthly/200#post_3466168
Here's a quick non-existent story that is about no tank in particular.
Having had a freshwater tank at home now for 7 years, and having embarked on the journey that is saltwater for 3 years, my 8 yr old son has naturally fallen in love with the hobby. He often explains to staff at LFS's what's going with our tank, why we shouldn't get certain species, what we're intending on doing with the tanks, how the chaeto benefits water chemistry, etc. He's become quite a wealth of knowledge in his own right.
Of course, now he wants his own tank. He's decided to start small so he wants the Fluval Ebi or Flora tank so he can keep some small fish, snails, and shrimp. Instead of launching headfirst into this, I decide this is a good time to teach him a little lesson in accounting. He thinks the tank costs $90 and that's it. Ah, time for the lesson. Heater ($15), Shrimp (4 for $19 (he wants 8)), Emblers (6 @ $4 each = $24), food, plants, decorations, etc. All told, the final estimate comes out to $225. He's only got $270 in his savings account.
So I ask the natural question.... "Are your really sure you want to spend almost all your money on this tank?"
His answer... "Yes, you're paying for half."
WHAT?!!! It was tough keeping a straight face. I gotta give him props for trying.
So a question begs to be answered.....did you pay for half?

ladyreefseeker

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Everyone.
Please continue to share stories! We have ended the contest feature but would love to keep the stories coming. Thanks, Mary

mr. limpid

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyreefseeker http:///t/388649/your-best-aquarium-stories-featured-monthly/200#post_3466236
Hi Everyone.
Please continue to share stories! We have ended the contest feature but would love to keep the stories coming. Thanks, Mary
Thank you Mary, for straiting this thread it was fun and entertaining. As Siptang said, we got to learn more about our fellow hobbyist. I think I have few more stories left in me. Still looking for that story from Uncle Joe and Snake, I think they have one or two to tell.

rickross23

I would share one but I have my tank since march8th, so its still cycling and has nothin in it yet haha. I offer my remorses to you Siptang. Keep your head high as I'm sure you were a great father.

S

siptang

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyreefseeker http:///t/388649/your-best-aquarium-stories-featured-monthly/200#post_3466236
Hi Everyone.
Hi Mary, like Jack said, thanks for starting this. This really helped me to get to know everyone here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Limpid http:///t/388649/your-best-aquarium-stories-featured-monthly/200#post_3466244
Thank you Mary, for straiting this thread it was fun and entertaining. As Siptang said, we got to learn more about our fellow hobbyist. I think I have few more stories left in me. Still looking for that story from Uncle Joe and Snake, I think they have one or two to tell.
I think they have more then couple lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickross23
http:///t/388649/your-best-aquarium-stories-featured-monthly/200#post_3466304
I would share one but I have my tank since march8th, so its still cycling and has nothin in it yet haha. I offer my remorses to you Siptang. Keep your head high as I'm sure you were a great father.
Thanks buddy. Start a build thread to show your progress. You will be very surprised at the progress that you will make.
Here is mine.
https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/388524/recovery/220#post_3465882

mr. limpid

And now for somthing completly different.
Crazy LFS Manager
This was the shop that I bought my first set up from. I forgot the name of it, but it was a Hardware store that had a pet shop up on a loft on left side of store. It was your normal hardware store plumbing stuff, building supplies and electrical stuff. But upstairs there was a different world, the only way to tell it was there was a small sign at foot of stairs that read pets with an arrow up. There were two isles, one fresh water fish on left and the other salt water fish, all in 30 gal tanks (long). Guess what type of tank I bought. Well I visited this shop for a year asking question, buying supplies and fish. I didn’t go to the store for about a month and just happen to pop in one day. All the isles on the lower floor were cleared out of the middle and rearranged at the perimeter, I asked what was going on and the reply was the manager is planning to increase the size of the pet shop. While walking around I ran into him. He was warring saddles, Hawaiian shirt and on his shoulder was a parrot. Needles to say I didn’t want to talk to him. In the days to come I visit the store once a week to see the progress. It started out with a wooden tunnel in the center about 30’ long with opening like windows in side. Then sheets of glass about 5’ x 3’ were glued to the inside of the openings. Next fiberglass bath tubs were glued to the glass and forms built to hold them up on there sides. The tub drains were used as over flows; remember over flows where not in use at this time. A series of plastic gutters (like on your roof) ran behind the tanks to carry the water down to bigger plastic tubs. There was no such thing as LR or LS his theory was that the sure volume of water was enough for filtration. Now for the crazy part, on the back side of the tanks facing out, he built with chicken wire and light weight concrete a rock face wall (like at a zoo) it was about 16’ high. In front of this rock wall he had a low chicken wire fence that was about 6’ from the wall with perches built out of rough sawn 2 by 2’s. The perches were for parrots. The store was open for about 6 months like this then the doors were looked and I never heard what happen.

S

siptang

wow... I guess it was like this back in the days huh? It shows how far we came along in this hobby over the years.