2Quills, 120G Re-build thread.

2quills

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1guyDude http:///t/378912/2quills-120g-re-build-thread/540#post_3433070
LOL ur fans light up?
Kool build and nice stand....i gotta go back and read now =(
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al&Burke
http:///t/378912/2quills-120g-re-build-thread/540#post_3433084
Corey - looks fantastic, I like the fans, how many CFM are they. Are the LED just your moonlight?
Thanks guys. Al, the one (pull style) computer fan is rated for up to 69cfm. The other two (push) fans I forget off hand but they're rated right around the same I think. So it's actually quite a bit more airflow than I expected. Luckily I can turn the speed down and they are virtually silent and still put out quite a bit of air movement. The leds are built into the fans. They actually put out quite a bit of light turned all the way up. And even with them set mid way it puts a nice glow into the tank without being too overpowering. I'll be interested to see how they do once the tank is full of stuff.
Here's a shot of one dimmed down.

1guydude

Very kool! I was thinking of going to the computer stores and looking at those lil fans....
+1 wheres the water!

sweatervest13

Corey, I am afraid that you are going a bit too fast on this build. You want to make sure that you take your time so you don't over look anything. You just can't go out and buy a tank fill it with water and salt, and then BAM... Good to go. You need to plan and take your time.
LOL.
Sorry, I had to.
Looking good. Love the lights on the fans, and the make shift duct work for cooling. What is your goal for getting it wet??

2quills

Smart ass! lol
The current goal now is to get through the holidays, I'll be purchasing some of my equipment between now and january. Then I hope to take my tax return money and get everything I need to build the leds. So, fingers crossed, a few more monthes before it gets wet.

1snapple

Hey corey, I just read up on the latest update, and i was curious what lighting you were going to use again? and nice moonlights, but if you wanted some real moonlights I bet 6-7 Royal blue LED run at constant voltage would make great moonlights, expecially if the corals can get photosynthesis (?correct termonology?) from it.

snakeblitz33

Hey man. When you get ready to build your LEDs, are you going to create a new thread? I really would like to learn a few things about them. I'm considering 36 for my 20g nano!!!!!

1guydude

actually part of photosynthesis includes dark times with no light.
36leds would be a bit over kill imo snake. We will see wat 2quills thinks but i think anywhere from 20-24leds would be fine.

2quills

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Snapple http:///t/378912/2quills-120g-re-build-thread/560#post_3436177
Hey corey, I just read up on the latest update, and i was curious what lighting you were going to use again? and nice moonlights, but if you wanted some real moonlights I bet 6-7 Royal blue LED run at constant voltage would make great moonlights, expecially if the corals can get photosynthesis (?correct termonology?) from it.
Going to build all of the lights, Josh. And I plan on using all of the latest in available led technology. Should end up with somewhere in the neighborhood of 72-86 leds. Not 100% sure if I'm going to add much else in the way of moonlight. If anything I may add some small 1 watt white leds. I agree with what 1guy said about needing some dark time for the tank. I'm not overly concerned about having light on after I go to bed but eventually I would like to do a controller that would follow moon cycles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeBlitz33
http:///t/378912/2quills-120g-re-build-thread/560#post_3436184
Hey man. When you get ready to build your LEDs, are you going to create a new thread? I really would like to learn a few things about them. I'm considering 36 for my 20g nano!!!!!
Yeah I was considering it Seth. We don't really have many comprehensive led threads on this site yet. I was thinking of making a few updates on this thread as I progress with it. But then I was kicking around the idea of a specific thread just for the lights when I'm finished building them. Maybe post it late at night when no one is on the site, that way I can post all of the good info and pics right up front on the first page. If it's one thing I can't stand is thumbing through a thread that's dozens of pages long just to get to the important stuff. I'd like it to be a step by step guide which will address some safety concerns and how to do all of the electrical testing including the stuff that should be done before a fixture is ever fired up for the first time, which hardly anyone talks about.

2quills

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1guyDude http:///t/378912/2quills-120g-re-build-thread/560#post_3436195
actually part of photosynthesis includes dark times with no light.
36leds would be a bit over kill imo snake. We will see wat 2quills thinks but i think anywhere from 20-24leds would be fine.
Yeah 24 is more than enough. And the only reason why I'd go that many over a 20g is in order to get a good blend of different colors into the fixture.

snakeblitz33

I don't want to muddle up the thread too much with my tank. When the time comes, I'll start a thread.
Thats cool the way you are doing it. I'm glad you are taking the time to teach us noobs something new. Thanks.

sparty059

Corey,
You never seize to amaze! Just looked through the rest of the thread (about 5 months that I have missed since being off the forum) and I'll tell you what... you can really see the amount of dedication and love you put into this tank. Looking through this just gets me more and more eager to start back up on the tank that I left behind. First thing's first, I need to built a sump/refugium just like yours. Then, I have to make sure I have the bad boy visible. Your work shouldn't be hidden behind any doors. Again, just wanted to stop by and say I'm still following along, and man... my jaw has dropped. Keep up the good work.

2quills

Unhappy with original design as I am I made some modifications to the scrubber (with pics).
I started out with this...

And I ended up with this instead...

The addition of the acrylic casing lets me run the mag 5 wide open without fear of splashing.

After much tweaking it seems to me as though splitting your pump in order to supply the screen with water from either side of the scrubber and forcing it down from above causes the bulk of the water flow to drive down the center (area) of the screen. A couple of relief cuts on either end of the supply pipe in order to alleviate some of the pressure driving down the center of the screen enabled more water to be supplied to either side of the screen including the center.

I'm pretty set on what I want to do for lights. I'm thinking a couple of super duper, mega powerful, algae growers dream, wondrous led light grow panels for either side of the scrubber. Thoughts of mounting them on slides and supporting them with articulating (multi-directional) arms. Yes?

al&burke

Looks fantastic Corey - something like a TV holder for the lights - I am sure you could make one out of acrylic.