10 Gallon Sump Saga

mcmasterson

Already got the bubble tower cut out and siliconed in. I accidentally ended up with a 10" high bubble tower instead of the 10.5". I also ended up cutting the 1st baffle separate from the bubble tower. I have the refugium baffle in place and the tower and will have the 1st and 2nd in by this weekend. I will snap a couple pictures to show what it all looks like prior to placement.
I would be amazed if the water will overflow the 10" bubble tower with one side having 4x4" open space of the crate material at the bottom. That is a lot of open space for water to flow through. I would imagine a fire hose could blast through that opening!

mcmasterson

Here are a couple pictures as promised. I am testing the seals today before i add my final baffle. Hope to have it up and running in the next couple days!

Here is another perspective of the bubble tower:

mcmasterson

Hey Al,
Yep the 2nd baffle will be added shortly. I needed to test the seals in case they weren't completely sealed. If not then i could add more silicone before i more or less sealed in the 1st baffle by putting the 2nd one in so close to the 1st one.
I however wish i had made the bubble tower the full 10.5" i accidentally cut it for 10" and just ran with it. the 1st baffle was supposed to be 9.5" but since the inside of the tank has silicone around the edges it actually raised the 9.5" baffle up so it is closer to 9.75". Now when the tower fills up and fills up the skimmer section. When it reaches the first baffle it is almost already up to top of the bubble tower. Not a huge deal, but it almost makes the tower want to overflow and pour straight into the return section. I think i might just silicone in a small piece on the one side of the bubble tower to raise it up a bit to prevent that. Wont look that pretty, but i dont want to remove the existing baffles to redo the tower.

al&burke

Try it out with a pump before you silicone another piece to the bubble tower. I think it should be fine.

mcmasterson

yeah i already poured some water into the bubble tower and it is literally about 1/8" away from mixing together and it looked like some did pour over when i poured it in really fast. I already am preparing the height additions. I guess i dont care what it looks like since it will be under my tank out of view.
Want it to work as best as it can more than anything.

2quills

The work looks good. Since you're going to add in another piece I think if it were me I'd add in 2 pieces and just essentially raise the bubble tower another inch all together. I'm just wondering how much water is going to rise in the bubble tower with nearly 600GPH coming in.

mcmasterson

Hi Corey,
I actually upped both sides another 1-1.5" or so from some leftover glass pieces i had. It is near the top all the way across the bubble tower. I doubt i will have 600 gph coming out of the overflow since the mag 7 with my head will only be pumping 450 at max capacity and i also will have that ball valve to cut down the flow if need be.
Either way i guess i am giving it a go.
So in regards to getting it set up. I read the directions from someone on Flower's sump build about first starting the sump up, but i have a question in regards to the refugium.
So i am planning on putting some live sand and live rock for copepod production. Do you think since i have some light flow coming into the refug i will have trouble with the sand getting blown around?
Secondly, since i am planning on buying new live sand out of the bag at the LFS as well as cured live rock, do i need to worry about any sort of cycling needed on the live sand? I should be fine, right? Just put it in and let 'er rip?
Lastly, as far as the siphon hole in the return line. About how far down from the top of my tank should the 1-2 holes be drilled? Being i have a small 10 gallon sump i dont have a lot of room for flow back in case of power outage.
Boy, lots more questions! I love this hobby, but am humbled by how little i know.
Thanks!

2quills

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmasterson http:///forum/thread/381467/eshopps-vs-lifereef-overflow/100#post_3328783
Hi Corey,
I actually upped both sides another 1-1.5" or so from some leftover glass pieces i had. It is near the top all the way across the bubble tower. I doubt i will have 600 gph coming out of the overflow since the mag 7 with my head will only be pumping 450 at max capacity and i also will have that ball valve to cut down the flow if need be. My only concern for you here is that you're 600gph overflow may not be being pushed enough at 450gph. It may have trouble maintaining it's syphon. Hopefully all will be ok but it's just something you'll need to watch out for.
So in regards to getting it set up. I read the directions from someone on Flower's sump build about first starting the sump up, but i have a question in regards to the refugium.
So i am planning on putting some live sand and live rock for copepod production. Do you think since i have some light flow coming into the refug i will have trouble with the sand getting blown around? You shouldn't have too much trouble no. Lots of people put a small nano size power head in there for additional flow to churn the water and puts more of it in contact with the bacteria and such. I'd just stay away from the sugar sized sand. That stuff gets blown around pretty easy.
Secondly, since i am planning on buying new live sand out of the bag at the LFS as well as cured live rock, do i need to worry about any sort of cycling needed on the live sand? I should be fine, right? Just put it in and let 'er rip? You very well could see a small cycle, yes. Just keep a close eye on it.
Lastly, as far as the siphon hole in the return line. About how far down from the top of my tank should the 1-2 holes be drilled? Being i have a small 10 gallon sump i dont have a lot of room for flow back in case of power outage. In your case I would recommend drilling the holes just above the waterline so that the backflow stops instantly.
Boy, lots more questions! I love this hobby, but am humbled by how little i know.
Thanks!

mcmasterson

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Quills http:///forum/thread/381467/eshopps-vs-lifereef-overflow/100#post_3328842
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmasterson
http:///forum/thread/381467/eshopps-vs-lifereef-overflow/100#post_3328783
Hi Corey,
I actually upped both sides another 1-1.5" or so from some leftover glass pieces i had. It is near the top all the way across the bubble tower. I doubt i will have 600 gph coming out of the overflow since the mag 7 with my head will only be pumping 450 at max capacity and i also will have that ball valve to cut down the flow if need be. My only concern for you here is that you're 600gph overflow may not be being pushed enough at 450gph. It may have trouble maintaining it's syphon. Hopefully all will be ok but it's just something you'll need to watch out for.
So i am planning on putting some live sand and live rock for copepod production. Do you think since i have some light flow coming into the refug i will have trouble with the sand getting blown around? You shouldn't have too much trouble no. Lots of people put a small nano size power head in there for additional flow to churn the water and puts more of it in contact with the bacteria and such. I'd just stay away from the sugar sized sand. That stuff gets blown around pretty easy.
Secondly, since i am planning on buying new live sand out of the bag at the LFS as well as cured live rock, do i need to worry about any sort of cycling needed on the live sand? I should be fine, right? Just put it in and let 'er rip? You very well could see a small cycle, yes. Just keep a close eye on it.
Lastly, as far as the siphon hole in the return line. About how far down from the top of my tank should the 1-2 holes be drilled? Being i have a small 10 gallon sump i dont have a lot of room for flow back in case of power outage. In your case I would recommend drilling the holes just above the waterline so that the backflow stops instantly.
Thanks!
Corey, in regards to your reply about the siphon holes being above the waterline, don't I put the holes just below the water line so if power shuts down a little water drains out and then hits the holes? If they are above wouldnt that mean there wouldnt be any siphon?

2quills

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmasterson http:///forum/thread/381467/eshopps-vs-lifereef-overflow/100#post_3329198
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Quills http:///forum/thread/381467/eshopps-vs-lifereef-overflow/100#post_3328842
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmasterson
http:///forum/thread/381467/eshopps-vs-lifereef-overflow/100#post_3328783
Hi Corey,
Thanks!
Corey, in regards to your reply about the siphon holes being above the waterline, don't I put the holes just below the water line so if power shuts down a little water drains out and then hits the holes? If they are above wouldnt that mean there wouldnt be any siphon?
That's a tough call in your case since you don't have a whole lot of room to handle much backflow in your sump. I'd say that if you can get away with it then just below would be better. But if you make the holes just above or right at the waterline then the backflow will stop alot quicker. You don't need to worry about maintaining a syphon on your return line...your pump does all the work of pushing the water. You just want watever syphon is created on that line to stop asap.

mcmasterson

Corey, I see what you mean. If i put it right at or above the return line it will just push water out the little holes which will be fine, but in the event of a power loss there would ZERO siphon back.
Now all i need to worry about is the U tube maintaining the siphon with 450 gph being pushed into the overflow. The lifereef guy feels it is not an issue and the overflow should easily maintain the siphon in the utube.
I just finished siliconing the last baffle in and waiting for it to dry. Tomorrow i will purchase some sand/live rock and fill it up and try to fire it up.
In terms of water for the sump i am fine just using the same water i would use for my water changes(RO/DI, salt mixed)?

2quills

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmasterson http:///forum/thread/381467/eshopps-vs-lifereef-overflow/100#post_3329222
Corey, I see what you mean. If i put it right at or above the return line it will just push water out the little holes which will be fine, but in the event of a power loss there would ZERO siphon back. Correct, you will get some water that flows out of those holes. That's probably why most folks would make the hole or holes just below the surface so you don't get any splashing. But if you make at least the first hole either right at or just a hair above the surface then it shouldn't be much of an issue. It will just help provide a little amount of extra turbulance on the surface which is good.
Now all i need to worry about is the U tube maintaining the siphon with 450 gph being pushed into the overflow. The lifereef guy feels it is not an issue and the overflow should easily maintain the siphon in the utube. Cool, it may not turn out to be an issue for you. I've shared emails with one of the guys over at CPR who is another company that manufactures overflows and they say it's best to run them closer to their max capacity because it's safer. But it certainly can be done with less, I'm just not sure how much.
I just finished siliconing the last baffle in and waiting for it to dry. Tomorrow i will purchase some sand/live rock and fill it up and try to fire it up. Awesome, so all of the leak tests turned out ok?
In terms of water for the sump i am fine just using the same water i would use for my water changes(RO/DI, salt mixed)? Yep, perfect! Remember though...when you go to do your water top off's inbetween water changes that the water you will be repleneshing only needs to be fresh RO/DI. The loss of water from evaporation is freshwater so you only need to top off with freshwater. Mixing salts is for the water changes. But yes, for your initial fill up of the sump do a mix.

mcmasterson

Yeah, no leaking anywhere. What really helped making good even corners with the silicone was after applying the silicone i used some plastic corner tools used for kitchen/bathroom caulk. You can pick the length of the bead you want and just run the corner up the bead of caulk and you get a nice even bead which almost guarantees you wont be seeing any leaks.
I cant say much about the CPR since they are different than the setup i am running with the U tube. I guess worst case scenario is i buy a mag 7 and cut the flow with the ball valve if i see a ton of bubbles forming in the U Tube. Jeff from lifereef said with the mag 7 i shouldnt see many bubbles.

2quills

Cool...nice job using the caulking tool.
If you do end up getting bubbles there's a simple modification you can do to the U-tube to incorporate the use of an aqua lifter pump which will continuously pull out any air that builds up in the tube and keeps the syphon going.
Can't wait to see it all set up!