100g Volitan/Rhinopias tank build.

fmarini

oooooooooool....
my most favorite-ist scorpionfish of them all. Inimicus
I would say I. japonicus. Primarily from the white band on its PEC fin (the last few secs of your video). I had the exact species like you guys. Good news is that these guys weaned over to prepared really easily.
if you look at the goblins spread fins, notice the pattern and draw it out you might be able to ID the species more readily. I'm not sure if it was included in the Reeflife article- but i have a drawing of the various species of Inimicus pec fins.
As you note its head is flat- w/ its eyes inline w/ the skull. there is a theory that these fish have evolved to more advanced form in which both the eyes and mouth are elevated(upturned) to allow the fish to more complete bury. If you look at I.filamentosus- you'll see what I'm talking about.
you guys are becoming quite the scorpionfish Hunters

cranberry

I would LOVE to see those drawings. We had the Reeflife mag open online and was comparing it to the really REALLY bad pics I took. I already sent the hard copies of the mag off to the folks. I'm still really disappointed over it going under. It had some awesome articles and I really love reading stuff by Ron Shimek. Can't wait until your book in your avatar comes out. Been looking forward to that for awhile. Knowing your experience with these guys and from reading your past works, I KNOW it's going to be the must have book for scorp keepers.
He was on our list of fish to get... and we just happen to have a QT open (that we were reserving for the yellow fuzzy that up and died at the LFS). These little "Sand Eyeballs" will eventually go into our Lionfish Lair tank. The 2 Rhinos, the volitans, a black volitans, a russelli, miles, the brasiliensis and now the Inimicus will eventually reside there (not the 100g.... this will be post move and will be an appropriate size).
Thinking of a couple of large non scorp fish to go in there... but haven't decided on those.
You wouldn't be coming to any of the West Coast conferences this year, would you Frank? I would love for you to see some of the fish... then you would know all my photos are true renditions. I go back and forth from the tank to the monitor, editing in photoshop, trying to get their true likeness. I have to do much less of this with the new camera.

cranberry

Originally Posted by FMarini
http:///forum/post/3216684
I would say I. japonicus.
Would he need to be cooler than 77?
EDIT: Actually, it's 76 right now but the lights aren't on. It has a chiller so it can be whatever we need it to be for all fish involved.

fmarini

hey cranbery--
no fairs....you changed that-- i read east coast conventions --as i was curious why you'd want me to attend things so far away. Now it reads west coast conventions, and yes i do have a meeting in san fran middle may and I'm trying to arrange a trip to thousands oaks, all real work related stuff.

fmarini

Awesome--
Love the big dig movie, its really what they do all day long, wait for passing food-then BAM.....gone
just think about you walking out into shallow water, and steppin on one of these. Totally buried w/ nothing but eyes and spines sticking upward