125 tank diary

ca161406

haha thanks! its gettin there. i'm calling it a Hybrid Aggressive Reef. hmm lets see what happens haha
AH! 3 months. eek hope it passes asap because its looking like hell.
im getting a new LMB soon to take care of the hair algae though

A

arlene1995

Yeah, it does... It is HIDEOUS. But, it seems for me to be either that or Cyano and IMO, I would rather have Diatoms than Cyano any day... I think the diatoms will die off once your tank is able to export the nutrients efficiently and give no source for the diatoms to use. It took a while in my tank because I feed pretty heavily... I think some Macro Algaes would probably speed up the process a bit...

ca161406

Originally Posted by Arlene1995
http:///forum/post/2895388
Yeah, it does... It is HIDEOUS. But, it seems for me to be either that or Cyano and IMO, I would rather have Diatoms than Cyano any day... I think the diatoms will die off once your tank is able to export the nutrients efficiently and give no source for the diatoms to use. It took a while in my tank because I feed pretty heavily... I think some Macro Algaes would probably speed up the process a bit...
cyano kinda looks like slime right?
hopefully, i had none until the new lighting went on. i feed mine heavy but theres no extra food in the tank after theyre done. i just try to keep them fat and happy so they dont eat each other haha

A

arlene1995

Yeah, it looks like a horrible red slimy plague...
If there really isn't any extra, then it'll just pass. I think it is part of the cycle... Just for some it is really prolonged. If you want to help with any possible left-overs, I'd look for a starfish... I have 3 in my 125 and they have remained untouched by all occupants and are doing great... Regarding keepin' 'em fat and happy, I hear ya on that one...

ca161406

Originally Posted by Arlene1995
http:///forum/post/2895515
Yeah, it looks like a horrible red slimy plague...
If there really isn't any extra, then it'll just pass. I think it is part of the cycle... Just for some it is really prolonged. If you want to help with any possible left-overs, I'd look for a starfish... I have 3 in my 125 and they have remained untouched by all occupants and are doing great... Regarding keepin' 'em fat and happy, I hear ya on that one...
yeah i dont have any red slimey stuff ...yet

i got up today and the water was really cloudy so i tested everything and its all good, just ugly. i got water mixing right now so hopefully itll clear it up a lil bit.
what kinda stars do you have? i may have to get one, do you supplement their feeding at all?

A

arlene1995

I have native stars... Luida Clathrata and 2 of another species... The Luida star is about 8 inches across. When I feed, the fish make a HIDEOUS mess so they pick some of that out, and I just toss most of the feed in on one side so the stars get over there fast enough to get some... If you want to see the big star eating, it is on YouTube under viper31jas's channel...

ca161406

DANG! that thing is huge! haha was it you that had the knoby starfish? or nah?
now i got particles of white garbage floating around the tank. i think its algae detaching but im not sure. i doubled up my mechanical filtration so i hope that clears it up
got my check today so tomorrow ima order a bucket of salt, get and get my LMB
also im going to order a frag pack and a fish. not sure what fish though.
any suggestions. something between 4-6 inches

A

arlene1995

Thanks... I know. We found it on our beach... No... I think that was Hefner...
Nice... Be sure to post pics!!!

ca161406

o wow what beach is that? i think id be afraid of putting something in from our beaches, might get something radioactive

but yeah, off to the LFS.
its buy 2 get 1 freeeeeee
good thing i have 2 qt tanks set up! :)

ca161406

well i got me some presents today

they didnt have 3 fish that i wanted so the owner let me get 1 and get 1 free. so that was pretty cool.
i got a LMB thats about 3.5" and a bicolor angelfish about 4" that has probably the nicest color of any ive seen.
when i got home though i noticed the Bicolor had 2 pink dots. 1 behind each of its eye. and around his lips. so i went searching for pics and i found 2 that have the same thing. one being the display pic on this site
https://www.saltwaterfish.com/site_11...ot_parent_id=4
i was wondering if that is normal or should i be concerned???
ill post pics when i get a chance

A

arlene1995

East coast of FL... LOL
Nice... Can't wait to see the pics!!!

A

arlene1995

Oh, and has the Angel done anything to any of your corals yet? Thinking about getting one for my reef...
Woohoo! Page 4!!!

ca161406

haha at least FL beaches are waaaaay nicer then over here haha
im hoping its something thats normal or will go away soon. i put a dose of melifix in there so maybe ill see some change
he's in QT right now, so ill let ya know when i put him in DT if he bugs it at all haha

ca161406

thanks for every1s responses...and wooot page 4 hahaha!
got some pics..and i think a lot of yeal will be surprised..i think
like i said before im trying a "aggressive reef hybrid" and so far so good
yesterday i put a pack of beginner corals together and moved the angel and blenny to the DT.
the only prob is that the angel isnt eating from what i see, i feed and it ignores all the food. maybe its grazing the algae when im not watching. had it eating formula 2 and marine cuisine in the QT so idk why it wont touch it now
other than that so far so good no probs at all. the humu and my puffers fight quite a bit but its only a territory thing and they are equally matched. humu leaves the angel alone completely and i think the humu is actually afraid of it haha the SFE comes out about once a day and does a few laps then back to the cave it goes. the blenny just munches everything he can. my diatoms are slowly going away and the blenny is working on the hair algae. so enough talk, heres the pics!

Bicolor

long tentacle plate coral

ca161406

LMB

green plate coral

blue and striped shrooms

theres also several more shrooms and some green star polyps that havent opened...but hope this gives a good idea of whats going on in the tank haha. ill post a vid in a lil bit too