240 FOWLR in Progress

aquaknight

Not to derail the thread anymore, but do you have any extra tile laying around still in the box? It could be a foreign tile, that's what we have at my house, it's like 17 1/4" big, the box says 420mm IIRC...

kjr_trig

Originally Posted by AquaKnight
http:///forum/post/2481589
Not to derail the thread anymore, but do you have any extra tile laying around still in the box? It could be a foreign tile, that's what we have at my house, it's like 17 1/4" big, the box says 420mm IIRC...
Yep, you are indeed correct, have a box in the garage...made in Italy

srfisher17

Have you become enthralled by the wonderful, almost seductive, smell of new acrylic yet? I think its far superior to "new car smell".

justkris9

Originally Posted by kjr_trig
http:///forum/post/2481665
Yep, you are indeed correct, have a box in the garage...made in Italy

Sorry to get if off track. I just thought it was really nice tile and it looks great against the wood.
You may now return to the regularly scheduled fish conversation

kjr_trig

Water going in now
Gonna be really cloudy, so probably no pics.....Dropped another $500 in LR today
We need a little smiley guy throwing money in the air, or lighting it on fire or something

crashbandicoot

Originally Posted by kjr_trig
http:///forum/post/2484697
Water going in now
Gonna be really cloudy, so probably no pics.....Dropped another $500 in LR today
We need a little smiley guy throwing money in the air, or lighting it on fire or something

Due to a budget cut the smiley guy burning money was let go . It was deamed that his job skills were becoming detremental to the company .

kjr_trig

Question....Most of the rock I got is uncured, should I run my skimmer after I throw my "dead cycle shrimp" in, and if so for how long?

ccampbell57

Yes - KJR, run your skimmer on full go. Make sure to baby it for the first day or so because they tend to overflow when you first get them up.
Your tank will have a NICE big nitrite and Ammonia spike (normal) do a 25% water change in 2 weeks.

srfisher17

Looks and sounds like a great set-up. Before you start stocking, are you sure you want to use CC substrate? You know more than I do, I've just heard a lot about CC and nitrates.
I imagine you're in Tuscon watching Tiger do the super-human things today!

kjr_trig

Originally Posted by srfisher17
http:///forum/post/2486090
Looks and sounds like a great set-up. Before you start stocking, are you sure you want to use CC substrate? You know more than I do, I've just heard a lot about CC and nitrates.
I imagine you're in Tuscon watching Tiger do the super-human things today!
Nope, we have about 200 golfers today keeping us busy at our course, keeping track of Tiger and the other guys down the road on TV though....As far as the CC, I only did 40 lbs., I like it in that it is great for boosting ph, I am a Vacuumer of substrate too, so I never let it get too bad down there.
And I assure you that I don't
know more than you Steve

ironeagle2006

Why is everyone against Crushed Coral.- That is what I use and do not have ANY ISSUES WITH Nitrates at all on my 150. Called keep it clean and it also helps with denitrifaction also. Only problem I have with it is no sand shifting animals.

srfisher17

Originally Posted by Triggerz92
http:///forum/post/2486472
Yeah i have CC and my 'trates have been perfect
I guess I spoke without really thinking; I do that often. I've never used CC, just read a lot of posts with problems. I vacuum regularly too,I even have a secret trick to vacuum under the UG plates in my small (55gal) "retro" tank and never have to tear it down.. I admit to over-stocking and over-feeding a bit, but am still amazed at how much crud is in the substrate. I'll bet folks with CC and high nitrates don't regularly vacuum their substrate. I'm not keeping any inverts now (may do another reef soon), so moderate nitrates are no big deal anyhow; but, they can contribute to a diatom problem.

kjr_trig

Originally Posted by srfisher17
http:///forum/post/2486575
I guess I spoke without really thinking; I do that often. I've never used CC, just read a lot of posts with problems. I vacuum regularly too,I even have a secret trick to vacuum under the UG plates in my small (55gal) "retro" tank and never have to tear it down.. I admit to over-stocking and over-feeding a bit, but am still amazed at how much crud is in the substrate. I'll bet folks with CC and high nitrates don't regularly vacuum their substrate. I'm not keeping any inverts now (may do another reef soon), so moderate nitrates are no big deal anyhow; but, they can contribute to a diatom problem.

Yeah, I think it is more the "reef people" that are anti CC due to the possible
nitrate increases.
We would all still love to see some pics of your tanks Srfisher
BTW are you like the rest of the Volunteer state and getting ready to watch the basketball game? Or not been there long enough to care?
As far as how I am going, I got some help from the "Eqipment and DIY" gurus to fix my small plumbing leak, I am about 15 gallons away from full now.

kjr_trig

Tank is cycling (you can see the shrimp in one of the pics
). Nice little amonia spike going, ph is 8.3, and salinity is on. Going ok for the most part, skimmer is working well and pumps are doing their thing. Overflow is noisy, thats my main issue right now, and still some tiny bubbles coming back from the Mag 18 on the return, not as bad though. I am not running the UV right now...Is that appropriate?
A few pics...I have about 140 lbs of LR, 3 different varieties...40 lbs crushed coral, and 120 lbs of Nature's Ocean Bio-Active Reef Substrate....I know I know, I need more LR, but I like an open tank, I can always add more later.....But don't count on it.

BTW how do you put notes in between pics?

cars&sharks

very nice, what are you planning on putting in it? im sorry, i didn't read all the post so i dont know if you already answered this.