240g in wall shallow reef build

C

cmaxwell39

The tank is looking awesome. You have some tremendous colors in your sps. Love the new wrasse as well.

jpa0741

Thanks for all the compliments everyone. That is what spending a couple years on the forums can do for you. I knew absolutly nothing about saltwater tanks up until 3 years ago. Of course spending 12 hours a day reading forums may be considered a problem

kylecorson

wow, this is my dream someday, to do something like this, just out of curiosty, and if u don't mind, how much is all this going to cost u? i only ask because then i know roughly how much i should start saving up

looks great, can't wait to c it when completed!

jpa0741

Originally Posted by kylecorson
http:///forum/post/2865050
wow, this is my dream someday, to do something like this, just out of curiosty, and if u don't mind, how much is all this going to cost u? i only ask because then i know roughly how much i should start saving up

looks great, can't wait to c it when completed!
Save LOTS!!! and when you think you saved enough, TRIPLE it

jpa0741

I am pretty excited today. The Sargassum trigger was out and about today and already eating flake and mysis. I didn't expect to see him for a while. They seem to have a rep of being very shy at first. I think he has taken on the Bluejaw as his dad
. He likes to follow him around the tank. Last night when I did a flashlight check before bed, I found the Bluejaw and Sargassum spooning up under a the same rock together.

cydab

Hi jpa
I would like to thank you for the inspiration this is like a never ending story keep it coming that is an awesome setup you got

jpa0741

Well it is update time. My Sargassum died after just one week. I have no idea what happen he was out and active and eating everything in put in the tank. Then the day before he died I noticed he didn't come out much and didn't touch any food. The next day he was dead. I noticed the Sargassum was too much a like the bluejaw, So I decide to try a pinktail. Here are pics from acclimating. I will get more in the display once he gets comfortable.

J

jojo727

i just scanned through your thread and its amazing. are you getting your fish from a LFS? i wish there was a place i could trust putting their fish directly into my tank versus having to put them in the QT for 6 weeks.

culp

Originally Posted by JoJo727
http:///forum/post/2879316
i just scanned through your thread and its amazing. are you getting your fish from a LFS? i wish there was a place i could trust putting their fish directly into my tank versus having to put them in the QT for 6 weeks.
6 weeks! i only have my fish in QT for 3 weeks unless i see any thing wrong to hold them in there for a while longer.

jpa0741

Originally Posted by JoJo727
http:///forum/post/2879316
Yes I get my fish from a LFS. I am one those people who doesn't QT. I go for the appoach of, if you keep your fish stress free they will have the imunne system to keep most things at bay. I also always soak all food in garlic, zoe and selcon. I also run a large UV. It does help to have good LFS that you can pick a healthy specimen to start.
The Pinktail has been out all day and ate when I fed the tank.

M

mr.reef

where did u get ur rock from... and ur corals... and what do u attach ur corals with i love the tank...

jpa0741

Originally Posted by MR.reef
http:///forum/post/2879911
where did u get ur rock from... and ur corals... and what do u attach ur corals with i love the tank...
All rock in the display was base rock from a LFS. I use epoxy and superglue gel to attach corals.

M

mr.reef

ok thanks so much it loks all so good and i wish i had ur tank hahah it looks so great....

jpa0741

Just an update post. The Pinktail trigger has really settled in and seems to be enjoying himself. My little ric. garden has been looking pretty cool lately. Also picked up a little ORA Maxima.

I just found this thread and i must say your tank is looking awsome can you give a more detailed run down on you light set up what brands, how many watts, and where you purchased them from i have a 55 and have been thinking of a light upgrade and like you i am a do it yourselfer and this seems right my ally. right now i have only a FOWLR tank with stock florecent lights it would be nice to have a light where i could actually grow something.

ryan4321

awsome tank man.. this was probably the best diary ive ever read..
Quick question.. how many hours a week of Mantanice do you spend on this thing??
and if you wanna answer this question. how much money did you sink into this project??

jpa0741

Originally Posted by Ryan4321
http:///forum/post/2898382
awsome tank man.. this was probably the best diary ive ever read..
Quick question.. how many hours a week of Mantanice do you spend on this thing??
and if you wanna answer this question. how much money did you sink into this project??
Maint. really only consists of cleaning the panes with a mag float every 2-3 days 10min and weekly water change takes about 10min. I feed every day, 10 min.
I spent about 10x the amount the wife knows about
!

jpa0741

I ordered a Swissguard Basslet and a GBTA on line on fri. I never even thought of checking the weather for shipping. So I get a call on mon. saying they are suspending all shipping until weather warms up some. I am thinking that is a good idead. Then on tues. I get another message saying they have shipped it out and it will be here today wed. I am thinking they don't stand a chance. Well to my surprise they arrived around 12:30. They look pretty good considering. The water was down to 63, which I was expecting much colder. I have them acclimating right now. The Basslet looks like it should have no problems but it is a little too soon to guess on the GBTA, although I don't think it looks too bad. Will keep you updated and hopefully some pics.

Here it is a hour after being in the tank.

These pics are from today. He was yesterday 2 hours after it was in the tank.