27 dead at Connecticut Elementary School

2quills

Quote:
Originally Posted by bionicarm http:///t/393788/27-dead-at-connecticut-elementary-school/300#post_3505185
In my 54 years, I've never been in a situation where I've had the need to carry a firearm with me at all times. I've never had a relative attacked or harmed by an armed criminal. None of my current friends have ever been attacked or harmed by an armed criminal. Are we just lucky?
See that's where you and I differ. I've grown up in Southern Cali, Detroit and spent time around many other cities and rural areas while I traveled constructing towers for the communications industry for a few years. I've been jumped, I've been robbed twice (once at gun point). My grandfather was shot in the chest by a guy with a hand gun in a convenience store when I was 14. An old friend of mine was shot in the head and killed after playing a gig one night at a down town club in Detroit. I grew up around gang violence first hand. And I can tell ya there there are a boat load of people out there who don't give a damn about what laws you pass. Crazie people with illegal weapons aren't going to just disappear. And if you don't want to keep yourself armed for your own defense then that's fine.
My mother has been in her school district for over 20 years. Her district borders the inner city of Detroit. She could tell you some stories. Ever see the show Hard Core Pawn? Well those are the people she deals with every day. Try doing a job where you are the minority with all of these insane parents who try to lie their way to get their troublesome kid into a school district without the proper paper work and requirements and then they go nuts because she's a minority and start screaming racial slurs and threatening her life because they just don't want to hear that their kid can't go to school their when they don't actually live in the district. In an area where schools have been devastated and closed down all over the place.

reefraff

Quote:
Originally Posted by bionicarm http:///t/393788/27-dead-at-connecticut-elementary-school/300#post_3505178
Last time I looked, alcohol was legal to sell and own in this country. I know people that can pop a .2 on a alcohol blow test and look as normal and lucid as if they haven't had one drink. Most bars have 2 or 3 bartenders serving anywhere from 5 to 20 people at one time. They barely have enough time to do the job their paid, much less try to do some sobriety tests on every person that asks for a drink. What about the guy that's getting his buddies to buy the drinks? Bartenders never see them. They have no knowledge whether the guy is drinking the drink, handing it to someone else, or never drinking it at all. Same thing with liquor stores. They sell some guy a fifth of bourbon, he goes down the street, drinks half of it, then totals his car into some pregnant mother walking down the street. Is the liquor store libel for his actions? There's been legal cases won against large liquor store chains for this very offense.
That is why you have trials. If a server provides drinks to someone visibly impaired they are at fault. Under the scenarios you listed it would be a tough sell to get a conviction. The guy who owned the bar my mom and stepdad liked to go to was sued a few times and won each time. I only know the details of one case because it sort of involved my Stepdad and Brother. The Stepdad was sort of a shark when it came to pool. He and my brother were shooting a game for fun when some guys challenged them for the table so they played partners. My StepDad and brother beat them all and they were calling friends to come in a try to beat them. Thing is a group that came in had brought their own beer in with them and it wasn't certain if they were ever actually served by the bar in the first place. At last call they left and one of them who turned out to be an illegal (un licensed and uninsured) pulled out in front of a car. The people he hit sued the bar. They asked several people if the guy appeared to be drunk. My stepdad said the same thing several others in the room did. They were playing for money and an obviously drunk shooter would have been easy pickings. Nobody remembered seeing any of the guys playing being drunk. The case ended up being dropped before it got to trial. Under California law just letting the guy consume his own beer would have made them liable but there was no proof the guy looked drunk.

reefraff

Quote:
Originally Posted by bionicarm http:///t/393788/27-dead-at-connecticut-elementary-school/300#post_3505179
Don't look at me, I wasn't one of the idiots that made the mad dash down to buy anything related to an AR-15 just because Fox News told me the gun world as we know it will be coming to an end. And believe me, I seriously doubt that Texas is the only place where this is happening.
The NRA better be careful how they try handling this situation. Tick off those nasty Liberal/Progressive anti-gun nuts in Washington, and they'll just turn the gun ammunition industry into what has happened to the tobacco industry. Want to buy that box of .223 ammo? No problem. There's now a $50 federal "assault weapon ammo" tax on every 50-round box of that ammo sold nationwide. Want to just make your own? $50/lb "assault weapon ammo" tax on any .223 brass or lead. Shoot, they can do it with .308, 10mm, and 9mm, since those are attributed to the semi-auto handguns that can be used in the same manner as an AR-15 when it comes to one of these carnage attacks. No one's hindering your right to bear and own firearms under the 2nd. It's just going to cost you an arm and a leg to enjoy that "hobby". Wouldn't phase me. I've had the same box of 9mm for my handgun that I bought 2 years ago. Dang! I can make a killing off that box when this goes into effect! YAHOO!!!
LOL! Typical liberal. My dog ran away, let's create a new tax!
I have a Dillon reloading press in the box for just such a scenario. I can afford to stock up on bullets. Besides, being an AR there are several different rounds I can get to shoot through the gun, from 17 up to 50 caliber.

reefraff

Quote:
Originally Posted by bionicarm http:///t/393788/27-dead-at-connecticut-elementary-school/300#post_3505187
Yet another uniformed statement. I go across the Mexico border at least 3 times per month. When you come to their border, they have armed Federales with AR-15's or M16's, and camo trucks with a .50 cal mounted in the back. I see them driving around all day, and the last few months they've even setup more checkpoints within the city to stop and do random car inspections.
Your first link is dated from 2001. Oh yeah, I'm sure they still do that 12 years later.....
Your second link states that some organization just provides maps for people who are bent on trying to get over here so they can at least find shelter and water so they don't die trying to get here. I guess compassion for you fellow man isn't something you'd consider doing.
NEWS FLASH The illegals don't cross at the border crossings
And Yes, the mexican government provided the maps, And No, I don't have a lot of compassion for criminals.

bionicarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefraff http:///t/393788/27-dead-at-connecticut-elementary-school/320#post_3505189
That is why you have trials. If a server provides drinks to someone visibly impaired they are at fault. Under the scenarios you listed it would be a tough sell to get a conviction. The guy who owned the bar my mom and stepdad liked to go to was sued a few times and won each time. I only know the details of one case because it sort of involved my Stepdad and Brother. The Stepdad was sort of a shark when it came to pool. He and my brother were shooting a game for fun when some guys challenged them for the table so they played partners. My StepDad and brother beat them all and they were calling friends to come in a try to beat them. Thing is a group that came in had brought their own beer in with them and it wasn't certain if they were ever actually served by the bar in the first place. At last call they left and one of them who turned out to be an illegal (un licensed and uninsured) pulled out in front of a car. The people he hit sued the bar. They asked several people if the guy appeared to be drunk. My stepdad said the same thing several others in the room did. They were playing for money and an obviously drunk shooter would have been easy pickings. Nobody remembered seeing any of the guys playing being drunk. The case ended up being dropped before it got to trial. Under California law just letting the guy consume his own beer would have made them liable but there was no proof the guy looked drunk.
Some family just won a multi-million dollar lawsuit against a bar or restaurant here San Antonio a couple weeks ago because they supposedly gave this DUI driver too many drinks and didn't stop serving him after someone stated he was obviously plastered.

bionicarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefraff http:///t/393788/27-dead-at-connecticut-elementary-school/320#post_3505190
LOL! Typical liberal. My dog ran away, let's create a new tax!
I have a Dillon reloading press in the box for just such a scenario. I can afford to stock up on bullets. Besides, being an AR there are several different rounds I can get to shoot through the gun, from 17 up to 50 caliber.
Stock away. What's to stop them from taxing the crap out of brass, bullets, wadding, and gunpowder? Require you to have an FFL license or similar in order to "load your own"? If they wanted to go this far to stop the use of assault-type weapons, they can tax or regulate anything that has to do with producing or selling ammo.

bionicarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefraff http:///t/393788/27-dead-at-connecticut-elementary-school/320#post_3505192
NEWS FLASH The illegals don't cross at the border crossings
And Yes, the mexican government provided the maps, And No, I don't have a lot of compassion for criminals.
You have a different definition for "criminals" than I do. Remember that the next time you buy fruits, vegatables, or nuts at the store. Without those "criminals", the prices for those items would be about 30% higher than they are today. So you get "taxed" either way.

reefraff

Quote:
Originally Posted by bionicarm http:///t/393788/27-dead-at-connecticut-elementary-school/320#post_3505198
You have a different definition for "criminals" than I do. Remember that the next time you buy fruits, vegatables, or nuts at the store. Without those "criminals", the prices for those items would be about 30% higher than they are today. So you get "taxed" either way.
Identity theft isn't a crime in your book. Income tax evasion isn't a crime? Yeah, you have a lot different definition than I do. I'd gladly pay more for fruits and veggies because if we get rid of them all the savings we would see in just ending bilingual education will more than cover the cost of paying more for pickers. Besides, I thought you libs were concerned about the 1% not paying enough wages. I would think you would want to end what amounts to slave labor. Send them home and they can apply for the migrant worker program and come back the right way.

reefraff

Quote:
Originally Posted by bionicarm http:///t/393788/27-dead-at-connecticut-elementary-school/320#post_3505196
Stock away. What's to stop them from taxing the crap out of brass, bullets, wadding, and gunpowder? Require you to have an FFL license or similar in order to "load your own"? If they wanted to go this far to stop the use of assault-type weapons, they can tax or regulate anything that has to do with producing or selling ammo.
Let them try. There are not and will not ever be enough votes to pass something like that in the first place. I don't think they have the votes for a weapons ban even now. They could probably do something with mags. But they will have to compensate we owners or it's an illegal taking. I'll make a nice profit if they do.

reefraff

Quote:
Originally Posted by bionicarm http:///t/393788/27-dead-at-connecticut-elementary-school/320#post_3505195
Some family just won a multi-million dollar lawsuit against a bar or restaurant here San Antonio a couple weeks ago because they supposedly gave this DUI driver too many drinks and didn't stop serving him after someone stated he was obviously plastered.
Yeah, and that's the point. Obviously drunk. Now that I think of it one guy who owned a bar in Huntington Beach was telling us his lawyer suggested calling to cops to walk out a few drunks. The lawyer said the police reports were evidence he was doing his due diligence as far as not serving drunk people and would be good for defense if he were ever sued.

bionicarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefraff http:///t/393788/27-dead-at-connecticut-elementary-school/320#post_3505204
Identity theft isn't a crime in your book. Income tax evasion isn't a crime? Yeah, you have a lot different definition than I do. I'd gladly pay more for fruits and veggies because if we get rid of them all the savings we would see in just ending bilingual education will more than cover the cost of paying more for pickers. Besides, I thought you libs were concerned about the 1% not paying enough wages. I would think you would want to end what amounts to slave labor. Send them home and they can apply for the migrant worker program and come back the right way.
You think stopping illegals from coming over here would en bilingual education? Last I heard, 57% of LEGAL Americans were Hispanic. Of those, there are many who are rooted to their culture, and never have learned English. They raise their kids speaking nothing but Spanish, and it follows with each generation. My wife has a close friend whose parents are in thier 80's, lived here legally all their lives, and still speak nothing but Spanish when you talk to them.
Thos migrant worker programs cantake up to 10 years to get approved. Most of them would be dead by then.

reefraff

Quote:
Originally Posted by bionicarm http:///t/393788/27-dead-at-connecticut-elementary-school/320#post_3505208
You think stopping illegals from coming over here would en bilingual education? Last I heard, 57% of LEGAL Americans were Hispanic. Of those, there are many who are rooted to their culture, and never have learned English. They raise their kids speaking nothing but Spanish, and it follows with each generation. My wife has a close friend whose parents are in thier 80's, lived here legally all their lives, and still speak nothing but Spanish when you talk to them.
Thos migrant worker programs cantake up to 10 years to get approved. Most of them would be dead by then.
What have you been smoking today?

darthtang aw

Brother.  Talk about a "The Sky Is Falling" over-reaction.  What's he gonna do, resell them on Ebay? :rotfl: "A fool and his money are soon parted"....
Not all Republicans/Conservatives are gun lovers.  The smokers said the same thing, and look what happened to the price of a pack of cigarettes.
Now we are sinking to insulting relatives? Seriously? No one ever said he was gonna resell them.

acrylic51

Quote:
Originally Posted by bionicarm http:///t/393788/27-dead-at-connecticut-elementary-school/300#post_3505148
Quills was complaining that the anti-gun groups were taking away his "freedom" to own guns. What is the primary purpose of a firearm? TO KILL. In many cases, innocent people get KILLED by a firearm by someone committing a criminal act. I don't care if it's 1 or 1,000,000. Someone normally dies when shot with a gun. I understand the premise behind the 2nd. Unfortunately you have gun zealots that interpret it as owning as many guns that they can get their hands on, and they see that ownership takes precedence over the value of life. If someone gets killed by a firearm for whatever reason, that's just the way it is because it's our right to own them. Your fault, my fault, no body's fault. As long as I can own a gun, that's all that matters.
I know what Corey was saying or implying.....What's ironic is the "GUN" didn't kill anyone.....What kills is ignorance, and stupidity....Carelessness in some cases......Again you want to eliminate assault weapons, or how you state it in your statement above firearms......You want to punish or take away from the masses, because of a few nut ball cases.....
In this day an age I don't think you will ever eliminate or "cure" these types of individuals regardless what measures you try to put in place....A deranged individual is going to find the means and way to inflict and cause death regardless....What would be the difference if he pulled a Timothy McVeigh (spelling but not important) on the school, movie theater or mall.....Would you be calling for a ban on on Uhauls, fertilizer, diesel fuel........What would stop an individual from taking the school hostage or building hostage suicide bombing the place.....You will not deter an individual that is determined.....
I guess you can accuse me of having the attitude of it's my right, but that's exactly how I feel about it.....It is my and others right to own and possesses whatever they feel like....It is not my responsibility or job to watch or keep tabs on what my neighbor might be hoarding......I think you might be caught up in the "May berry" syndrome.....We don't live in a world like that anymore....times have changed drastically, and I do feel it is "our" moral responsibility to some degree to defend and take care of our own if we are able to.....Hypothetical question for you.....If intruders were to break into your home while you and your loved ones are there and you had to "defend yourself".....Would you have an issue......What if it was the "little old lady" next door that was being brutally beaten an attacked.....Would you call the police or neutralize the situation.....Would you fire to take down or to incapacitate..........

bionicarm

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local_news/article/Trio-gets-shot-after-showing-off-weapon-4142421.php
Visions of things to come...

bionicarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthtang AW http:///t/393788/27-dead-at-connecticut-elementary-school/320#post_3505214
Now we are sinking to insulting relatives? Seriously? No one ever said he was gonna resell them.
Seriously? So tell me, what exactly is the usefullness of "stocking up" on a bunch of magazines if not for any other reason than a "knee jerk reaction" to this Sandy Hook incident? People did the same thing after Aurora. What could you possibly do with 20 magazines? The military doesn't even issue that many to a soldier fighting over in Afghanistan. Is he a Doomsday Prepper? Believe me. There's hundreds of people out there doing the same thing for the only purpose of making a fast buck. Just like these idiots that got pepper sprayed fighting one another for the latest pair of Air Jordan's. They didn't want the shoes to wear them. They wanted to pay $250 for a pair of sneakers so they could sell them for $1000 on EBay. Firearm ammo and accessories have become this year's "have to have" Christmas gift. "Oh honey! You found me that laser sight, night optics, and stock extender for my AR-15! You shouldn't have!"

2quills

Quote:
Originally Posted by bionicarm http:///t/393788/27-dead-at-connecticut-elementary-school/320#post_3505261
Seriously? So tell me, what exactly is the usefullness of "stocking up" on a bunch of magazines if not for any other reason than a "knee jerk reaction" to this Sandy Hook incident? People did the same thing after Aurora.
My guess would be that it makes some people feel safer. And if they don't want to take any chances then that is their prerogative. It seems like a typical human response for some folks. Did you really expect anything different? It's clear that with the problems facing the world and our today, most gun owners are going to do anything but give their guns up. And if we were to ban them all tomorrow then my guess is that we'd see a whole lot of lawful gun owners turn un-lawful. I wish we could stop all of the violence. But anything short of an act of God and I just don't see it happening without policing every aspect of everyone else's life. Is that how you want to live?

reefraff

Quote:
Originally Posted by bionicarm http:///t/393788/27-dead-at-connecticut-elementary-school/320#post_3505261
Seriously? So tell me, what exactly is the usefullness of "stocking up" on a bunch of magazines if not for any other reason than a "knee jerk reaction" to this Sandy Hook incident? People did the same thing after Aurora. What could you possibly do with 20 magazines? The military doesn't even issue that many to a soldier fighting over in Afghanistan. Is he a Doomsday Prepper? Believe me. There's hundreds of people out there doing the same thing for the only purpose of making a fast buck. Just like these idiots that got pepper sprayed fighting one another for the latest pair of Air Jordan's. They didn't want the shoes to wear them. They wanted to pay $250 for a pair of sneakers so they could sell them for $1000 on EBay. Firearm ammo and accessories have become this year's "have to have" Christmas gift. "Oh honey! You found me that laser sight, night optics, and stock extender for my AR-15! You shouldn't have!"
I bought magazines for the express purpose of making money on them. Try to buy one right now. I wish I had bought a lot more. Should have bought a couple guns too from the looks of things. 1300.00 for standard AR's. I am going to triple my money on mine.