29 Biocube--A Work in Process

agent-x

should I just stick with the stock pump then? sounds like the 1200 might be to much. I want a goby too and don't want to be blowing him around the tank.

ahmoser

I have the stock pump AND a 600 in my biocube 29. I modified my filtration though, and the stock pump was not getting enough flow into the tank. I have yellow polyps and other sensitive stock, and everything is doing great!
Thanks for the reply AZ

azreefgirl

Originally Posted by AGENT-X
should I just stick with the stock pump then? sounds like the 1200 might be to much. I want a goby too and don't want to be blowing him around the tank.
I'd stay with the stock pump. Mine decided it wanted to blow air bubbles so it had to be replaced. I'm going to send back the stock pump for a replacement under warranty, but I'm not sure yet if I'll putting that back in the tank or just keeping it as a spare.
BTW, I noticed you're an engineer from the Chicago area, did you go to UIC? My bf is a mechanical engineer from UIC, graduated in '97 (I think)

agent-x

Originally Posted by AZReefGirl
BTW, I noticed you're an engineer from the Chicago area, did you go to UIC? My bf is a mechanical engineer from UIC, graduated in '97 (I think)
I haven't lived there since I was younger, I went to school in Missouri Actually.
Also, do you use the filter that came with the system that fits in the slot in the far right chamber? I was thinking of not using it, because i think it's actually affecting the levels in my Aquarium when I test. It seems like I can tell when I've just cleaned it by the test results.

nygel

some i thought were 30, I almost went for one,but decided against it as pygmy angels are kinda ugly compared to the bigger ones.

azreefgirl

I haven't lived there since I was younger, I went to school in Missouri Actually.
Also, do you use the filter that came with the system that fits in the slot in the far right chamber? I was thinking of not using it, because i think it's actually affecting the levels in my Aquarium when I test. It seems like I can tell when I've just cleaned it by the test results.
I grew up in Missouri. Went to MWSC in St. Joseph. Missouri's a good place to be FROM, I just outgrew my small town and moved somewhere warmer.
I do use my filter. I haven't done any "with and without filter" comparisons on my tests. I just always test with the filter in place right before I do a water change. And I haven't forgotten about posting pics of how I set up the MJ 1200, I just haven't been home very much during waking hours to take out the pump and get pics. I hope to get some up this weekend.
But, I did manage to find time to get a Candy Cane coral and snap some pics of it (in all of it's closed-up glory). Hopefully it will feel comfortable enough to open up soon.

agent-x

I grew up in Missouri. Went to MWSC in St. Joseph. Missouri's a good place to be FROM, I just outgrew my small town and moved somewhere warmer.
Yeah, I lived near KC (Lee's Summit) for a while and didn't like it. Plus the winters were terrible, all the ever got was ice with maybe a little snow on top of it. So I too moved somewhere warmer.

azreefgirl

My snails knocked my candy cane coral off it's rock yesterday.
(I didn't want to superglue it until I was sure it was happy where I put it.) So last night when I got home I tried to put it back and wedge it a little more securely between a couple of rocks. When I did that, some of the rocks shifted and I ended up having to try to redo most of it. It looks nothing like it did before the rockslide.
I'll try again tonight using pictures of my tank to try to reconstruct it.
Wish me luck!

demartini

My snails knocked my candy cane coral off it's rock yesterday.
(I didn't want to superglue it until I was sure it was happy where I put it.) So last night when I got home I tried to put it back and wedge it a little more securely between a couple of rocks. When I did that, some of the rocks shifted and I ended up having to try to redo most of it. It looks nothing like it did before the rockslide.
I'll try again tonight using pictures of my tank to try to reconstruct it.
Wish me luck!
believe me I have been there!!... I was ready throw everything out my window because everything fell over!lol good luck!

kmc

Not to rain on anybody's parade but will the candy cane do OK with the stock biocube lighting or have you upgraded your lights? Cool looking coral and I want one too but have always been told they needed more light than I have. I hope yours works out. Keep us posted.

driftking7277

Very nice beginning.......i'll be setting up my NC 24DX within a month myself.....but don't have the room to start my 90 all over again.

azreefgirl

I was told the candy cane coral would do fine with stock lighting as long as it was placed near the top. They prefer low to moderate flow and moderate lighting according to what I've been told and what I've read.

agent-x

I'll post pics later. I'm at work--far, far away from the comfort and sanity I experience when gazing at my tank! It took a couple of tries at configuring it to fit properly, then I had to take it out and figure out how to install the air control valve, but it seems to be doing its job now. The instruction manual provided with the pump is basically worthless unless you're installing an undergravel filter!
so, could you explain to me how you got it to fit?
:help:
Thanks in Advance

azreefgirl

Rotate the exhaust outlet so that it is pointing up if the impellar chamber outlet is pointed towards the 2nd chamber. The suction cups will be against the wall that divides the tank and the pump chamber. I don't think all 3 suction cups will be against the wall, but as long as one or two are stuck, then it'll be fine. Put the air deflector (minus the piece with the flattened open end) onto the exhaust outlet. Attach the air tube, adapter, and air control valve to the opening on the side and attach the stock air tube to the top. Then attach the stock output fitting to the top of the tube.
Here's some pics. Lemme know if you have any questions.

agent-x

awesome, thanks a ton. So I take it you dont have to put the grated filter cap on the intake of the pump. That was the only reason I couldn't figure out how to make it fit. I guess I was over thinking it.

azreefgirl

awesome, thanks a ton. So I take it you dont have to put the grated filter cap on the intake of the pump. That was the only reason I couldn't figure out how to make it fit. I guess I was over thinking it.
Over-thinking, eh? Typical engineer...
j/k
Maybe I was under-thinking--I hadn't considered putting the grated filter cap on. I guess if you're concerned about debris getting into the pump you could rubber-band a piece of netting over it. Hmmmm, maybe I should do some rethinking... :thinking:

agent-x

Well I guess the blue sponge filter would catch most of the junk before it got into the pump. so maybe the "cap" isn't really needed. Thanks for your help.