2Quills, 120G Re-build thread.

posiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Quills http:///forum/thread/378912/2quills-120g-re-build-thread/260#post_3342145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Posiden
http:///forum/thread/378912/2quills-120g-re-build-thread/260#post_3342140
Your using small piano type hinges right? Attached from the top?
Yeah, should I change that to be behind the door ya think?
Not real sure. I can't say just how much the door bowed, or if the 2x was pushing on it. If you do place the hing behind the door, your gonna get light bleed through the top. If you relieve the door for the hing, your kinda in the same boat. Though call. Hmmmm.
On the other hand, I really like your trim work. This thing is going to look outstanding when you finish it.
Edit;
I didn't see your pic at first.
I see where your coming from now on routing the back of the door to relieve it a bit.

posiden

I also agree with your on the temp idea. The way the door is up against the 2x, if that plywood top shrunk in the cold. It would cause that 2x to twist outward. Causing the door to push out like in the pics. A small amount at the top, will be huge at the bottom of the door. As you know, think about when you use a fork or spoon. If the door it self also added in the situation, that would magnify the issue. They both are only painted on one side. (door and plywood)

2quills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posiden http:///forum/thread/378912/2quills-120g-re-build-thread/280#post_3342155
I also agree with your on the temp idea. The way the door is up against the 2x, if that plywood top shrunk in the cold. It would cause that 2x to twist outward. Causing the door to push out like in the pics. A small amount at the top, will be huge at the bottom of the door. As you know, think about when you use a fork or spoon. If the door it self also added in the situation, that would magnify the issue. They both are only painted on one side. (door and plywood)
Yep I agree. We had one of our coldest nights of the year on saturday. We had company over and the kitchen door was open alot that evening letting alot of cold air into that area. And then I didn't run the heat downstairs that night either so it got pretty cold down there. Then the next morning is when I saw the issue. It looked like it was going back to normal a little bit yesterday. I left the heat running all day today and kept it in the upper 70's and now it's all the way back to normal (so to speak). But like you said...it only takes that little bit when things are tight like that. A few modifications and hopefully I'll be aces again. Thanks for the input, man.

2quills

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic51 http:///forum/thread/378912/2quills-120g-re-build-thread/280#post_3342269
Corey are you dead set on using the piano hinge?
Not dead set on it no...why, what did you have in mind? I was wondering if you could point me to where you found those hinges you are using Shawn. I'd like to take a look at them to see if I could make em work for my door. The door is heavy so I'd probably need at least 4 of them. Wondering of I could use those in conjuntion with the piano hinge and possibly a friction hinge.

acrylic51

Hey Corey, if you'd like I can run down to WoodCraft and pick you up the hinges and mail them to you if you'd like??? Let me know!!!

2quills

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic51 http:///forum/thread/378912/2quills-120g-re-build-thread/280#post_3342384
Hey Corey, if you'd like I can run down to WoodCraft and pick you up the hinges and mail them to you if you'd like??? Let me know!!!
Is that were you got them? I want to look at how they attach to see if they'd work for my door or not, because I have that 2x2 that they would have to attach too. I'm sure I could make them work somehow but just want to see em.

acrylic51

I will shot you a pic of the hinges when I get home. I can tell you they are very similar to the European style hinge setup as far as mounting. They also have a clip you cam hit to easily disconnect the hinge in the middle to disconnect the door from the mounting position.

acrylic51

Here's the pics of the hinges Corey...I will try to find them on their website and shoot you the link as well.

Here you go Corey...pic of the hinge that is shock assisted....I think the bit I got when I bought the hinges were 35mm forstner bit.......

I was a bit off in my description, but the release button is at the very back of the hinge assembly; the little tab at the very top of the hinge assembly above the very back screw....You pinch the levers on both sides of the hinge assembly and it separates in 2 pieces.....putting it back together is just as simple......
If needed I can see if I can dig up the pics of the underside of the hinge to show the shock....

2quills

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic51 http:///forum/thread/378912/2quills-120g-re-build-thread/280#post_3342500
Here's the pics of the hinges Corey...I will try to find them on their website and shoot you the link as well.
Here you go Corey...pic of the hinge that is shock assisted....I think the bit I got when I bought the hinges were 35mm forstner bit.......
I was a bit off in my description, but the release button is at the very back of the hinge assembly; the little tab at the very top of the hinge assembly above the very back screw....You pinch the levers on both sides of the hinge assembly and it separates in 2 pieces.....putting it back together is just as simple......
If needed I can see if I can dig up the pics of the underside of the hinge to show the shock....
Thanks, Shawn. I was thinking about it earlier and your pics confirmed it. I don't know if I'll be able to use those or not without some modifications. I think because I would have to mount them to the 2x2 then that was cause them to mount further away from the top of the door (or the top edge). And the result would be the door hitting and catching on top. Hmmm....
Still like to see more pics if you don't mind, bud.

acrylic51

Crazy question....is there a way to pull pics from your albums and post in a thread????
Anyways a couple more pics I dug up.

That little button on the back is the 1 I was referring to that you press and the hinge separates....

Here in this pic you can see the little shock....and it also shows the button section.

2quills

Thanks! So you have the EZ-mount hinges, is that correct? I'm thinking I may still be able to use them.

acrylic51

Yes the EZ mounts.....They are super sweet, just wish they were a little heavier......I did have to mod my original design to make them work, but I've never had any long term success with piano hinges holding up.

acrylic51

Let me know what you need...WoodCraft is only 15 minutes from the house, and right next door to Harbor Freight....I can grab what you need!!!!

1snapple

i don't like piano hinges, I think they are temporary hinges. Cant wait to see how it is going to work out

2quills

Quick update. I think I've got the door thing figured out (I hope). I'm going to keep it. I've decided to ditch the piano hinge and go with concealed hinges. I think with those and a couple of relief cuts that I made on the sides for some extra breathing room I'll be ok. I'd still like to reinforce it like Shawn had mentioned for further peace of mind so I'll probably do that. I'm still waiting for the new hinges that I have order to arrive...it should be monday, pluss Shawn is sending me some different ones to try out so I'll have more updates on the door later.
I got the crown molding installed and I think it looks nice. I also ripped some pieces of wood which I cut on a 45 degree angle which I glued in behind the crown for reinforcement. It actually worked out quite well. I can put a considerable amount of force by pushing and pulling on the crown and it doesn't give. I still have the trim for the canopy door to do pluss glue the pieces on the other doors, as well as make the 3 remaining pallisters for the front corners of the stand and canopy. I am going to have an uber amount of finish sanding to do on this thing but here's some shots of the crown...

So I had a new idea for the color/finish for the stand and I'm hoping to get some opinions. Thumbs up or thumbs down. I'd like to do the stand with a two tone finish...the traditional cherry for the stand and canopy like I had planned but I'd like to finish off all of the trim in a golden maple. I kinda like it and I think it will give the stand a whole nother dimension when it's finished. What do you guys think? Here's a sample...

acrylic51

I love the cherry, just not sold on the lighter color...maybe a hair darker....JMO.... Is that just 1 coat of the lighter stain?

acrylic51

I feel you on the amount of detail finish sanding on all the trim Corey....I think that's why I'm dreading taking the canopy down and sanding.....