2Quills, 120G Re-build thread.

2quills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cipher43 http:///forum/thread/378912/2quills-120g-re-build-thread/460#post_3391398
BUMP how goes the project?
Hey, Cipher.
Going a little slow on the build side of things. Been doing a butt load of planning though for the next round of projects. I'm going to start ordering the supplies for the sump this weekend and I'll order my acrylic hopefully next thursday night so that I can get it before the following weekend. So in about another 2 weeks I should have some updates and pics on how the sump is coming along (fingers crossed).

2quills

Picked up the acrylic for my sump project the other day and started working on getting it going. I'm still waiting for a delivery that won't be here till tuesday for my glue and some other supplies to show up. I should have this done by the end of next weekend. My pieces are all cut and edges have been routed. May start cutting teeth in the baffles tommorrow.
Quick mock up...

Don't ever let em tell ya that working with acrylic isn't messy. I think I could build a second sump out of the shavings alone and I'm still not done routing by any means...

acrylic51

Now everyone wonders my garage is always so dirty.....Even when you've swept up you'll still find shavings all over the place!!!!!

2quills

They indeed are everywhere. Hey i picked up a new blade. When I was up at H.D. today I seen they had a Diablo 84 tooth with the triple chip grind design. So I swiped it up since I've never seen them there or at lowes before when I had looked in the past. Makes an excellent cut if I do say so. Very little clean up with the router was needed. Am happy with it

acrylic51

The HD up here has them all the time....They are a fantastic blade....
Even for hardwood flooring; you get a lot of cuts out of it, and the flooring can be hard on a blade.....The only blade I like better than the Diablo is the Freud, but seeing how I don't like to change blades over during a project, they are to expensive to destroy.....
Sounds like you've found the right feed right on the table saw.....If you have you'll see you'll have very minimal clean up. Don't do it with your good Diablo, but take a junk blade and try different feed rates and notice the difference in the cut. I'm still eyeing a new table saw and router setup....Maybe if I'm a good boy
the wife might splurge.....

2quills

I checked out the Frued blade online and they are a little more expensive. The Diablos actually are made by Frued and they have their name on the blade as well. They appear to be the exact same design right down the the little stabalizer vents even. So I'm not really sure what the difference in them is, maybe different materials in the metal

.Yeah I got a little practice on the last build. At first I had tried using my nice 80t Vnotch finishing blade, but I only made one cut with it because I didn't want to tear it up. It made a descent cut in the plastic though. But I ended up just using a 40t general purpose blade for the reservoir tank build. It was a little rough but not too bad if you clean it up with the router. But yeah, a nice smooth feed rate, not too fast, not too slow turns out great.
I really like the new Ridgid saw I got for christmas last year. Has some real nice upgrades to it over the older version from a couple years ago. Obviously if I had the space I'd love to do like a nice Delta and build a big table for it. But for a portable saw, I like this one better then the Bosch in the same class hands down.

acrylic51

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Quills http:///forum/thread/378912/2quills-120g-re-build-thread/480#post_3393194
Picked up the acrylic for my sump project the other day and started working on getting it going. I'm still waiting for a delivery that won't be here till tuesday for my glue and some other supplies to show up. I should have this done by the end of next weekend. My pieces are all cut and edges have been routed. May start cutting teeth in the baffles tommorrow.
Quick mock up...

Don't ever let em tell ya that working with acrylic isn't messy. I think I could build a second sump out of the shavings alone and I'm still not done routing by any means...

You could make a lot of glue with those shavings!!!!

acrylic51

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic51 http:///forum/thread/378912/2quills-120g-re-build-thread/480#post_3393257
You could make a lot of glue with those shavings!!!!
I've done it before in a pinch using shavings and #4....Worked rather well though.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Quills http:///forum/thread/378912/2quills-120g-re-build-thread/480#post_3393404
I know it. I ordered a tube of weld-on 16. Had I been thinking about it I could have just gotten a bigger can of #4 and made my own #16.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Quills
http:///forum/thread/378912/2quills-120g-re-build-thread/480#post_3393406
Cutting teeth...it's pretty tedious. I have more shavings to clean up.

I've thought about building a jig like that to cut teeth, but never got around to it.....Usually if I'm not doing a lot of teeth I just set up the router table with stops and feather board, or if I'm cutting a lot of teeth I pull the dado jig out and use that with the router bushings......
Looks very good!!!!!!

2quills

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic51 http:///forum/thread/378912/2quills-120g-re-build-thread/480#post_3393453
I've done it before in a pinch using shavings and #4....Worked rather well though.....
I've thought about building a jig like that to cut teeth, but never got around to it.....Usually if I'm not doing a lot of teeth I just set up the router table with stops and feather board, or if I'm cutting a lot of teeth I pull the dado jig out and use that with the router bushings......
Looks very good!!!!!!
Thanks! I'm thinking a dove tail jig would be a rather handy thing to have around for cutting alot of teeth. The method works pretty good but gets a little tedious constantly clamping and re-positioning the piece. After my second baffle, I gave up for the day lol. I have one more baffle to do. I know I don't need teeth in all of my baffles but I'm just doing it for looks and practice.

acrylic51

Looks very good!!!! I picked my dovetail jig up at Harbor Freight. And you can pull the plate off removing 4 screws and use the jig anywhere.... I think it was about $30.00, makes it super quick.

acrylic51

Looking really sweet!!!!!!!
I see you were a little thirsty while gluing up?????
Did you use the pin method or just put in place and glue? I see you used shims. I usually put my shims in place and then after applying the solvent I kind of have an idea where I need to snug the shims a bit.

2quills

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic51 http:///forum/thread/378912/2quills-120g-re-build-thread/480#post_3395181
Looking really sweet!!!!!!!
I see you were a little thirsty while gluing up?????
Did you use the pin method or just put in place and glue? I see you used shims. I usually put my shims in place and then after applying the solvent I kind of have an idea where I need to snug the shims a bit.
Dude, it's HOT out in the garage, I needed to keep myself supplied with fresh cool beverages in order not to overheat myself.
That's what I did with the shims is just barely started them under there and then pushed them in as needed. I'm finding that if the edges are really smooth then the pins really don't seem needed. I could see how it might be necessary with thicker material though. I picked up some pins yesterday and tried it out a little bit for practice but wasn't really feeling like it was going to be much of a huge benefit. Just more work.
I got the bottom on this morning, just got done making the euro brace. Gonna throw that on here pretty soon.

2quills

Well she's constructed but not quite finished yet. Still sanding the edges and preparing them to polish.
Question for anyone who uses 4" filter socks, do they have a true 4" diameter ring? I'm debating whether or not to build the intake chamber (bubble tower) or not. I'm thinking I may just made a filter sock holder but I'm wondering if I use a 4" hole saw bit if it will be to big of a hole to hold a 4" sock without it falling through.
She's a little dirty right now and not perfect but so far I'm pretty happy with the way it's turning out...

acrylic51

Looks very good.....All the shavings could make a small nano tank!!!!!!
Nice jig for the euro bracing!!!!

2quills

Thanks. Hey Shawn did you make and install a bracket that holds an ato switch in your return chamber? I want to make one but unsure about what height I should install it in regards to where the water line will be.
I need to go lowes and get some more plumbing fittings. I'm working on the turf scrubber plumbing. It's not finished but here's an idea of what it will look like.