2Quills, 120G Re-build thread.

2quills

Actually, making my own molding was going to be my origional idea. I had thought about ripping pieces to size and then getting some different router bits so that I could come up with something different and then put it all together.
But, without giving the idea away just yet...the stuff I'm talking about is all beautifull and intricately carved molding that is done on a CNC machine that can be custome sized to my specs. Something of which, I don't have access too and can't warrent spending the money on to purchase.
And, no...I don't have a terribly fancy table saw. If I had a place to put it though...I would!

posiden

Originally Posted by 2Quills
http:///forum/post/3298616
Actually, making my own molding was going to be my origional idea. I had thought about ripping pieces to size and then getting some different router bits so that I could come up with something different and then put it all together.
But, without giving the idea away just yet...the stuff I'm talking about is all beautifull and intricately carved molding that is done on a CNC machine that can be custome sized to my specs. Something of which, I don't have access too and can't warrent spending the money on to purchase.
And, no...I don't have a terribly fancy table saw. If I had a place to put it though...I would!

CNC work.......sounds pretty cool. Had, I had my thinking cap on, Celtic theme should have given it away. You can't cut that on a saw.LOL. I'm looking foward to the reveal of this trim.
Please don't think I have room for my saw. I choose to live around it in the garage.

2quills

Originally Posted by acrylic51
http:///forum/post/3298641
Did they get you a price yet Corey? I'm curious!!!!
So far I only have a rough estimate for the stand. They've asked me to work them up a sketch so that they can give me an accurate quote. Once I get the canopy put together and figure out how I wan't to tie all the molding together then I'll shoot them the sketch with some final measurements of everything that i want. As of right now though...I'm probably looking at around $500 or so for just the bottom cabinet...maybe more, depending on how elaborate I want to get with it. I've got a few other ideas floating around too.

2quills

Originally Posted by Posiden
http:///forum/post/3298645
CNC work.......sounds pretty cool. Had, I had my thinking cap on, Celtic theme should have given it away. You can't cut that on a saw.LOL. I'm looking foward to the reveal of this trim.
Please don't think I have room for my saw. I choose to live around it in the garage.
Yeah, I guess I did give it away a little bit with that hint. It should be pretty cool once it all comes together...or at least, I think it will be. I'm shooting for something that you don't necissarily see everyday in an aquarium stand.

2quills

Well, inbetween being called out to work on a couple of a/c's today, I did managage to get the front skin done. It's starting to feel like it's realy coming together now. I need to make a final decision on how to make the doors for it. I have a couple ideas, I just need to pick one. I think I'm going to wait a little bit though and just make them all at once since I will have 2 more that are going on the canopy. Give myself more time to figure out what I want to do.

acrylic51

Very nice.....Love the wood!!!!! Hurry up and help me decide on some stain choices!!!!!!!
Again Sharp!!!! Very clean looking!!!!!

2quills

Thanks, guys!!!

I picked up about 6 different colors of stain. Will be making some samples so I'll post the results to see how they will look with the poplar. Will show 1,2, and 3 coats of each. Maybe you guys can help me pick a color since this is probably one of the most difficult choices to make being that it's going to be permanant.

acrylic51

Can't wait to see some color samples.....I've used the Poplar quite a bit, and I don't think you'll need more than 2 coats though....might be wrong, but eager to see!!!!!!

scott t

Very Nice stand there Corey. I really like it gives me some ideas on when I get ready to build my for my 55 gal..

2quills

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic51 http:///forum/thread/378912/2quills-120g-re-build-thread/60#post_3300365
Can't wait to see some color samples.....I've used the Poplar quite a bit, and I don't think you'll need more than 2 coats though....might be wrong, but eager to see!!!!!!
I have the samples made already, just waiting to be able to put a second coat of finish on them tonight so I can see what they look like in the end result. I can tell you that I pretty much already have a favorite. Question for you, Shawn...do you pre treat the poplar before you stain with the conditioner? Because I didn't condition these like I normally would but I had planned to before I apply anything to the stand. I'll post the pics of them tommorow.

Going to pick up some lumber in the morning...start working on the canopy.

acrylic51

No I didn't pretreat the Poplar on past projects, and it was very even.... Now your trim/molding on the other hand I do.... Usually your pine or softer wood moldings will give you that blotchy uneven look. I've been doing a little reading and what I have concluded is your softer woods do need the pretreatment. Poplar is in the middle though..., not soft like pine and such, but not hard as your oak or walnut, so it's a toss up. Try doing some samples pretreated and stain.... That's what I did and concluded no...I have been considering using sanding sealer on the final prep work. I have to get busy on mine again.... Actually have made some progress just not updated yet....
I'll try to get some pics of the cabinets I did for the garage using Poplar and one of my favorite stains.... I have to dust alittle with all the router work and such going on in the garage.... I'll get them up this weekend so u can compare...... Water or oil base stain?

2quills

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic51 http:///forum/thread/378912/2quills-120g-re-build-thread/60#post_3300379
No I didn't pretreat the Poplar on past projects, and it was very even.... Now your trim/molding on the other hand I do.... Usually your pine or softer wood moldings will give you that blotchy uneven look. I've been doing a little reading and what I have concluded is your softer woods do need the pretreatment. Poplar is in the middle though..., not soft like pine and such, but not hard as your oak or walnut, so it's a toss up. Try doing some samples pretreated and stain.... That's what I did and concluded no...I have been considering using sanding sealer on the final prep work. I have to get busy on mine again.... Actually have made some progress just not updated yet....
I'll try to get some pics of the cabinets I did for the garage using Poplar and one of my favorite stains.... I have to dust alittle with all the router work and such going on in the garage.... I'll get them up this weekend so u can compare...... Water or oil base stain?
I've got 5 samples of oil based minwax and 1 sample that I had mixed that is actually a water base...and i can tell you right now I don't like water based stains...you definately have to pre-treat with water based conditioner and finish with a water based urethane. And I don't like how it applied on the wood at all.

In the past when I've made shelving and such, using pine I always pre-treaded to avoid the blochiness. Oak, I never had to. But you're right...the poplar seems to fall in the middle and I kind of like how it turned out without the pre-treat. I'm going to see how these turn out with the satin finish...if I like it then I'll do it...if not then I'll go with my old favorite semi-gloss finish.

Glad to hear you're back on the build.