2Quills, 120G Re-build thread.

acrylic51

I'll send you a PM with my number and I'll call you and give you the run down on what you need on the RO/DI......
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Quills http:///forum/thread/378912/2quills-120g-re-build-thread/140#post_3318406
Went with the old favorite Roman Ogee bit on the doors. I have a small router table that my plunge router mounts to...but nothing like a nice full sized router table. I'd love to have one. No pics as of yet for the molding choices, but I think I'm going to do something along the lines of what I was origionally thinking and incorporating some moldings with Dentil accents. I just like the look for some reason and I haven't used anything like that before.
Skimmer...Octo XP 2000 is going to be the one. I had kicked around the idea of the Tunze Master DOC...but I think the Octo is pretty much the winner in that arena.
Powerheads...origionally wanted some Vortechs...but with the way my canopy sits so close to the sides of my tank I've decided on Tunze Nano Streams with controller.
Pump...either the Eheim Compact 5000...or the WaterBlaster 5000. Thinking of rolling the dice here and trying something new, see what happens. I'll be sure to write lots of reviews either way lol.
I haven't done alot of looking into it yet, but I did look briefly into putting together an R/O unit. I'll have to look into it a little more...any suggestions on a good place to go for that?
I was looking at the Tunze ATO's...I do like them, they are on the top of the list.

posiden

Nice craftsmanship. That's coming together extremely nice. I'm looking forward to the stain. Well....OK. I'm looking forward to the water, rock, sand........LOL
Uhmm.....My first thought about hiding the seam on the upper door, would be to cut and bind the wood so the the grain runs horizontally all the way up. One could then make the upper door run all the way across the top of the tank. The seam would be hidden in the "binding" line of the mating pieces at the top of the tank. I hope that makes sense??

2quills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posiden http:///forum/thread/378912/2quills-120g-re-build-thread/160#post_3318672
Nice craftsmanship. That's coming together extremely nice. I'm looking forward to the stain. Well....OK. I'm looking forward to the water, rock, sand........LOL
Uhmm.....My first thought about hiding the seam on the upper door, would be to cut and bind the wood so the the grain runs horizontally all the way up. One could then make the upper door run all the way across the top of the tank. The seam would be hidden in the "binding" line of the mating pieces at the top of the tank. I hope that makes sense??
Thanks, man! That's a great idea. Kinda wish I'd thought of it before I made the door. I still may be able to modify it and see, I have a couple of other ideas floating around with some ideas of using some molding...I'll probably try a few and see how it looks.

I need to get over to your thread and post...I caught the images that you put up of the rock wall and overflow...it's looking pretty awesome!

sparty059

I don't know if you thought about this at all throughout the whole process, or if this was even an option; but, I think it would be very cool if you were to slide glass pieces in the doors rather than have the centers around the frame of the doors. This way you could make it a display sump/refugium... if you plan on keeping everything clean and neat looking down there. Regardless, I think it looks amazing. I might even buy you for a few weeks and have you build another one for me haha. Keep up the good work!

flower

I'm surprised his wife isn't forcing him to make her a china cabinet. When you have a husband with that kind of building talent, take full advantage. I really think the SW tank will be dwarfed by the beauty of its stand.

posiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Quills http:///forum/thread/378912/2quills-120g-re-build-thread/160#post_3318702
Thanks, man! That's a great idea. Kinda wish I'd thought of it before I made the door. I still may be able to modify it and see, I have a couple of other ideas floating around with some ideas of using some molding...I'll probably try a few and see how it looks.

I need to get over to your thread and post...I caught the images that you put up of the rock wall and overflow...it's looking pretty awesome!
With all the wood grain running in one direction, I'm not sure if it will add or detract from the stands character. Please post up any trials you might make up. I'm interested to see what you come up with.
Thanks. That's my very first attempt at cutting glass or doing the DIY rock thing. So far I haven't seen a PH any higher then 8.4 That's pretty sweet IMO. This is the first time that any of that DIY rock has seen any water.

acrylic51

Any good lead or sources for heat sinks? I think I've found another besides heat sink USA. I'll PM you the info then.

2quills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparty059 http:///forum/thread/378912/2quills-120g-re-build-thread/160#post_3318752
I don't know if you thought about this at all throughout the whole process, or if this was even an option; but, I think it would be very cool if you were to slide glass pieces in the doors rather than have the centers around the frame of the doors. This way you could make it a display sump/refugium... if you plan on keeping everything clean and neat looking down there. Regardless, I think it looks amazing. I might even buy you for a few weeks and have you build another one for me haha. Keep up the good work!
Actually, I had kicked around that idea but it was to use frosted glass for the door panels. But, no I hadn't thought of using clear or even etched glass with a nice design maybe to put the sump on display. Perhaps for a future project that might be something worth considering.
Thanks, Bud!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower
http:///forum/thread/378912/2quills-120g-re-build-thread/160#post_3318770

I'm surprised his wife isn't forcing him to make her a china cabinet. When you have a husband with that kind of building talent, take full advantage. I really think the SW tank will be dwarfed by the beauty of its stand.
I know the stand is rather large isn't it? I wanted it that way innitially so that I could accomidate a 55G sump. One of the reasons that I'm no longer considering the custom carved molding other than the price is because I don't want the stand to completely out-do the tank. I still want a beautiful stand but I also want the tank to be the main focus of attention if at all possible.
Shhhh....the wifes already talking about wanting me to make the new dinning room table. She's itching to get me to make a butcher block dinning room table. But, I don't know...it would be alot easier to just purchase a new set with chairs to match. And besides, once the tank is up and running that there's not going to be a whole lot of room around here to build anything else of that size unless I take over the living room.

2quills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posiden http:///forum/thread/378912/2quills-120g-re-build-thread/160#post_3318866
With all the wood grain running in one direction, I'm not sure if it will add or detract from the stands character. Please post up any trials you might make up. I'm interested to see what you come up with.
Thanks. That's my very first attempt at cutting glass or doing the DIY rock thing. So far I haven't seen a PH any higher then 8.4 That's pretty sweet IMO. This is the first time that any of that DIY rock has seen any water.
Will do, man!
I'll be following your lead on the rock wall...I'd love to do a tank like that someday.

2quills

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic51 http:///forum/thread/378912/2quills-120g-re-build-thread/160#post_3319421
Any good lead or sources for heat sinks? I think I've found another besides heat sink USA. I'll PM you the info then.
I'll have to do some digging. I had a few places that I jotted down on a piece of paper somewhere if I can still find it. Heatsink USA was my first choice but I know rapid led is selling them pre-drilled now. I've been kind of waiting and hoping that more people will start offering pre-drilled heat sinks. I'd love to take a look at what you found.

gill again68

Hey man, just checking in. The cabinet is looking great. I am glad you are able to maintain and not hurry. Your right when you say it will all be worth it in the end. I like the louvers you used. Are they plastic? Im going to steal that idea for my 8 gal. Gonna make a nice fix for my heat issues and look good doing it. Looks like your on track for Christmas to me. Depends on your cycle. You cooking any rock now? That would help you a bunch if you could.
Anyway looking great. If you need me to come and fix your mistakes then I will have to charge you and arm and leg for my time but I would do that for you. LMAO Jking.
Oh and BTW, your going to build that table you just havent been truthful with yourself.

2quills

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic51 http:///forum/thread/378912/2quills-120g-re-build-thread/160#post_3319476
What's the sizes rapid is offering? The place I found aren't predrilled though.
Shoot me the link, Shawn. Rapid only has limited sizes, I think the widest they have is like 5.9". The do have different lengths and if you had to could just turn them sideways and add more of them to get the overall width that you're after. But also, they only offer 1" tall fins on their sinks. That's kind of why I was hoping others might start offering pre-drilled. I'll do some more looking around and see what I can find. I did a little bit of searching lastnight and I'm kind of thinking of maybe going with a crosscut heatstink or something along those lines. So many people out there doing the same thing...you know me, I want to try and be different lol. If I have to drill them myself then so be it.

2quills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gill again68 http:///forum/thread/378912/2quills-120g-re-build-thread/160#post_3319584
Hey man, just checking in. The cabinet is looking great. I am glad you are able to maintain and not hurry. Your right when you say it will all be worth it in the end. I like the louvers you used. Are they plastic? Im going to steal that idea for my 8 gal. Gonna make a nice fix for my heat issues and look good doing it. Looks like your on track for Christmas to me. Depends on your cycle. You cooking any rock now? That would help you a bunch if you could.
Anyway looking great. If you need me to come and fix your mistakes then I will have to charge you and arm and leg for my time but I would do that for you. LMAO Jking.
Oh and BTW, your going to build that table you just havent been truthful with yourself.
Thanks, Mike!
The louvered grills are actually metal. I haven't come around any plastic ones that I've seen. But what I did was give them a light sanding inbetween coats and applied 3 good coats of epoxy spray paint to them to help keep them from rusting. Time will tell how well they hold up...but they are cheap so if I have to replace them down the line or try something else then it shouldn't be a huge problem.
When we moved to the new place I purchased a 50G tank and moved my livestock with some of my rock and sand in there. Running my canister on it right now...so I'll have that stuff to help kick start the cycle. I'll get some fresh live sand for the fuge as well. For the most part the tank should be up and going by christmas but I'll probably won't intoduce any livestock to it for a while. Been reading up on some of the studys that guys over seas did way back when the Berlin style became popular and the theory behind leaving your tank livestock free for several months in order to maintain a healthy population of fauna that can sustain itself under predation. So I may just let it set for quite a while and see.
If I make any mistakes you'll be the first person I call lol. We'll see about that table, but she'll probably talk me into it sooner or later. I have a buddy who's got a garage that he's renting through work...I put my name on the waiting list to get one next to him when it becomes available so I'll have a place to to my woodworking once I can get in there.

gill again68

I got inspired to look for a plastic solution for my needs and this is what I found. On the Lowes site look under irrigation and find the round or square drainage grates. They look like they will be great for my new vents. Thanks for the idea!

gill again68

Here is a picture of what I plan to use. They have a square one as well. I did find plastic louvers that go over air conditioner vents but they were brown. FYI they do have wooden vents.