2Quills, 120G Re-build thread.

2quills

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweatervest13 http:///t/378912/2quills-120g-re-build-thread/760#post_3477656
Any updates???
Nothing major just yet. The stand is complete, doors are on and fans are re installed. I got the tank pulled back out and sitting in the garage. Picked up the egg crate for the rock wall stuff so I've begun playing around with that a little bit now. I'm just trying to figure out exactly how I want it to look when it's all said and done. Next pay check I'll probably order the blue acrylic and some leds for the illuminated backround. Gotta start pulling some of the rock work out of my other tank because I have a few choice pieces in there that I want to use in the new tank. So it's still coming along, slowly but surely. Our other truck is about to be payed off here in the next couple monthes so that's going to free up a lot of extra money for me to go ahead and get what I need to finish everything up before too long. Pretty excited about that.

2quills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Limpid http:///t/378912/2quills-120g-re-build-thread/780#post_3478662
I'll laugh because you are. ha ha What happen since 40 pages ago?
Well, the wife and I have been planning for a while to purchase a home. But we have only been down in this area for just under 4 years and wanted to make sure we were going to be happy down here before I got into any kind of major purchase. So some things have come up which should allow us to be able to get into our own home right around the first of the year if we want to. Our lease on our current house is up in Febuary. So seeing as how I'm about 95% sure that we will be moving in the near future I just don't know if it's the right time for me to even set this tank up right now.. And to be honest, once we have our OWN place I'm probably going to want to do something more like a custom in wall set up or maybe just even a bigger tank because I know that we'll be in a more permanent type of situation. Therefor I think I just want to try and sell this one for as much as I can, just sit on it for a while and see if the right buyer comes along and put that money towards something that I think I could be happier with once we get settled.

mr. limpid

Sound like you have put a lot of thought behind this, I wish you the best. It is a great time to buy. You spent a lot time in this tank I hope you get it back. Maybe someone from the site will want 2Quills original.

sweatervest13

Tank tease!!!
Well at least you have the experience of making a custom stand, sump, and LED's. I would have loved to see this come to life, BUT life sometimes gets in the way.
Maybe its time to start a new thread for your new dream tank.

2quills

Yeah life is full of curve balls lol. As sad as I would be to see this tank go after all the work that I put into I think that it may be the right thing to do. And yes ive put a ton of thought into it. Theres been numerous time throughout the build where Ive questioned if whether or not to keep moving forward with it was the best thing to do. I just feel like where in a situation now where I could be even happier with something else.
Now is a great time to buy a house. Interest rates are still low but theyve been steadily rising and there are a ton of new neighborhoods down here right now that have just been developed and theres more on the way. Down here you can get a lot of house for your money right now and we dont want to miss out on the opertunity of a potentially great investment. So I think this is what we both want to do. I just hope that I dont turn into one of those guys who's perpetually always in the build fase of a system but never gets to enjoy the tank lol.

sweatervest13

Quote:
I just hope that I dont turn into one of those guys who's perpetually always in the build fase of a system but never gets to enjoy the tank lol.
Too late. Just playing.
But seriously, how long after would you start to build the new setup (what ever it is)? And how long would that take? Why don't you set up the tank and then sell it? I know I would feel better knowing that you breathed some life into a labor of love for the last almost two years. Don't you wanna make us feel good?? Again, just playing... But I was really looking forward to seeing what this tank would look like filled up with fish and corals.

2quills

Lol it's all good. I know its taken a long time to complete and even my family was exited to see it finished. And to be honest the idea of puchasing a home for us is not new and thats one reason why its taken so long to complete the tank. But with my wifes new position at work and some personal stuff that Ive got going its put us on the fast track to get where we want to be a lot sooner than first expected. So if we decide to get a brand new house thats already modernized for the right price then we wont have to sink a bunch of time and money into it in order to be comfortable. So I might could start on a new system fairly quick and have the extra cash to make it happen a lot sooner. But we'll just have to wait and see.
I just dont want to start the system going only to tear it down in 8 months. So I think Im going to offer it as is with just the tank and custom sump. I think it will sell faster with the sump and plumbing. I also have rock and sand to throw into the deal. Bit I want to keep all the new equipment because I know that I can use all that stuff on a larger tank (maybe a 240g). And this would make it easier not to have to break down a running tank with live stock for the buyer. They just need the equipment. So we'll see how it goes. I might throw in the equipment for the right price.

sweatervest13

240g would be awesome!!
IDK but for some reason I really like those 5' tanks... You know the 5' X 30" X30" ones, all the big SPS tanks over on RC are similar size. Maybe that's why I like them so much. All the tanks I drool over are 5' lol
I think selling the tank and sump with the plumbing is key. Lots of folks are looking for that package deal. Good luck with selling it!! I hope you make a fortune and can buy a monster!!

cipher43

.... Do you deliver to Iowa..... HAHA jk. If/When you do sell this you should put the stipulation that they must post a picture of the setup on here once it is stocked and all so we all get to see the pay off haha.
With how awesome your stand looks it shouldn't take long to sell for ya.

2quills

Thanks guys.
Thats a good idea, I'll have to make sure to ask the buyer for pictures seeing as how its been nearly two years in the works.
My buddy thinks I should post it for 4k and sit on it for a while and see if anyone will offer me 3k for it. I think he's probably dreaming but I do live next to padre island and there are a lot of folks over there with money and fish tanks. Ive seen what some places charge for custom stands so it might not entirely be out of the realm of possibility. I do have about 3k invested in all the material that went into it not including the equipment. Obviously an experienced hobbyist is probably not the buyer Im looking for. So I suppose it could be possible to find someone with that type of cash who wants to get into the hobby and not have a tank that looks just like his neighbors. I dont know.
What do you guys think?

cipher43

4k sounds high but then again its an awesome set up and like you said you can sit on 4k for awhile and see and lower it later if needed. Thats the good part for you is you have time to wait.

snakeblitz33

So sorry to hear that you are giving this project up for sale. I understand how that goes though. I also want to see pics of it up and running with a new hobbyist if that is even possible.
I think 4k is a bit much to be honest. While you have put nearly 3k into it, you probably won't make your investment back unless you find a hobbyist that doesn't want to do the work himself. Most of us aquarists though are pretty handy. :D
I think it also depends on all of your built in features and things that are not typical of standard off the shelf aquarium stands... if you can find a buyer for 2500k or 3k, that would be awesome. I wish you the best of luck and let us know when you do sell it!!
I learned a lot from this thread - Especially in the beginning stages with actually building the aquarium stand. I loved the pockethole and glue techniques and your stain work. Superb!

meowzer

OH MY.....How did I miss this turn of events :( Sorry to hear this....BUT also glad for you......I know buying a home is a big step, and it sounds like you have it pretty well planned out
SOME one is gonna be freakin lucky to buy that......

cipher43

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeBlitz33 http:///t/378912/2quills-120g-re-build-thread/780#post_3478719
So sorry to hear that you are giving this project up for sale. I understand how that goes though. I also want to see pics of it up and running with a new hobbyist if that is even possible.
I think 4k is a bit much to be honest. While you have put nearly 3k into it, you probably won't make your investment back unless you find a hobbyist that doesn't want to do the work himself. Most of us aquarists though are pretty handy. :D
I think it also depends on all of your built in features and things that are not typical of standard off the shelf aquarium stands... if you can find a buyer for 2500k or 3k, that would be awesome. I wish you the best of luck and let us know when you do sell it!!
I learned a lot from this thread - Especially in the beginning stages with actually building the aquarium stand. I loved the pockethole and glue techniques and your stain work. Superb!
I agree with ya Seth. This is what made me want to build my own stand even though I went a different route that Corey.
If it were me I would still try to get out atleast what you put in but that is up to you bro.
Good part is you can look at this build as a practice run for a later build lol

snakeblitz33

Does this mean you won't be posting on here anymore until your next build or are you going to try to remain an active member?