30g starts! OMG YES!!! pics inside!

you need a cover for your light switch.
j/k. like ur rockscaping. and that is tha biggest 12 lbs i have ever seen. i really think the skilter is ineffective in the long run. but is very space friendly for those of us with a small aquarium

grumpygils

Originally Posted by Brewski4u1
well here it is 10lbs of LS and 12LBS of LR! I am done buysing sand and freaking rocks thank you god! well here are some of the pics w/ the new rocks and now the tank looks a little diff then the pics b/c i had a slight avalanch! i blame it on the earthquakes here in fl!! but still looks awsome i'm very happy!
you think i can maybe add a small cleaning crew this weekend if my nitrites drop?

Looks great but I think you will hate the rock being against the side glass. It will scumm up an irritate you in the long run.
Mc

brewski4u1

its sunday ! tested my water levels! and Nitrites are finally starting to drop!

got a water heater cause the tank was gettin supewr cold at nigth down to like 75 sometimes so now i'm messin w/ the heater to get that right! i'm rigth around like 80-82 so i think i need to bring it down just a little!
but now to the pics! here are the tests and 2 pics oof the tank after the landslide i had and had to reagrange it all over! hope you enjoy and comment please!
and one question i need answered is when can i add the cleaning crew?
and whats a good cleaning crew for this size tank whats your opinions??
here are the pics ! please take the time to comment and help me out!

teh new look!

autofreak44

lookin good! once your nitrite goes to 0 then you can start ading stuff. i read your ***** sucks thing andd i totaly agree

autofreak44

i was reading through and im suprised that no one has said anything about the brown algae. its called diatom, and once you cycle your tank get a few margarita or turbo snails and they will eat it all up real soon
nothing to be worried about
good luck

brewski4u1

the tank makes me so happy! ther is nothing in tehre and i come hoem from work a look at is for hours! i cant wait to put some stuff in there! but this friday i'll prob be the last time i spend money on the tank for a month or so !! need to save soem money for the keys trip in april!
just one question! once my nitrites hit 0 i have to do a wter change ! what do you guys think i should do ! like a 30% or what ! cause i'm starting to mix up my water today! i'm acutally going to homedepot to get a 5gallon bucket!
and to publix to get water! lol please comment and help me out! i dont want to mess anything up!

brewski4u1

water test for today! plus i think i got pod or something that looks like brine shrimp or sea monkeys! lol so from what i have read i'm gonna have to go w/ pods! and millions of them!!
ammonia- 0
nitrite- .50
nitrate- 15
makin water not and wating for everything to hit 0 ecept nitrates!! and then a 5 gallon water change!

brewski4u1

:jumping: :jumping:
thats rigth look at the tests!! so i'm warming up my water for the change as we speak and when i come home from work tonight i will do my water change and be totaly ready to put what ever i want in there! to and extent! thurs will be my cleaning crew! YESS what do you think
***)

5 blue leg hermits
5 red leg hermits
1 cleaner shrimp
5-10 nass snnails
and maybe a brittle star!
now tell me if i should have more less or other stuff that i leftout!
please respond! all feed back is welcome!
:cheer:

J

jrthomas40

i used a bottle of "cycle up" from walmart...to help cycle my tanks and it works pretty well...but i will still wait a few weeks before adding anything

azfishgal

YESS what do you think
***)

5 blue leg hermits
5 red leg hermits
1 cleaner shrimp
5-10 nass snnails
and maybe a brittle star!
now tell me if i should have more less or other stuff that i leftout!
please respond! all feed back is welcome!
:cheer:
:cheer: Congrats! I would hold off on the brittle star, they need a very established tank, like 8-12 months old. You might have a problem with the hermits and snails together, as the hermits have a tendancy to kill the snails to get to their shells. You can put empty shells in your tank, but even then people find out they have to take the hermits out. I have emerald crabs in my DT and the hermits are in my sump, so you can go with emerald crabs (IMO they are more fun to watch).
on the cleaner shrimp, they are cool to have. Cerith snails are also great to have, as they do a good job cleaning the rock and glass (very good in getting rid of diatoms).

larryndana

Originally Posted by azfishgal
:cheer: Congrats! I would hold off on the brittle star, they need a very established tank, like 8-12 months old. You might have a problem with the hermits and snails together, as the hermits have a tendancy to kill the snails to get to their shells. You can put empty shells in your tank, but even then people find out they have to take the hermits out. I have emerald crabs in my DT and the hermits are in my sump, so you can go with emerald crabs (IMO they are more fun to watch).
on the cleaner shrimp, they are cool to have. Cerith snails are also great to have, as they do a good job cleaning the rock and glass (very good in getting rid of diatoms).
as for the brittle i don't think its needs 8 -12 months, just good stable water. linckia or fromia i would say deffinately 12 months or more, but since you can feed a brittle you would just need to make sure your parameters in check and stay that way.

brewski4u1

just did my water change!
went pretty easy! otehr then the fact i dont have 2 5 gallon buckets the one i did have was full of SW so used teh carwash bucket for waste water and it was a 3 1/2 so i pulled out a little to much water! added som RO water and still not full ! DANGIT
so 5 gallon bucket is full of RO and got salt and power head in there i'll add more tomm and bring up the saltinity! will test water levels after dinner! and just edit this post w/ them! check back later!
ps i really need a magfloat the glass is gettin nasty!
here it is (i belive i can say perfect! if it stays this way thru thursday afternoon cleaning crew will be added thurs night! )

larryndana

remember go slow. the bactria you have in your tank can only handle so much. if you buy to much it may make you have a mini cycle.
you should be fine for cleanup crew.

imfsub12

ya i running a clean up crew for about week and 1/2 then get fishies....
but LFS dont' have any inyet..
BOOOOO

brewski4u1

did my daily lunch break water test!

ph-8.2
ammonia- 0
nitrite- 0
nitrate- 0
salinity- 1.20 ( just add some salt water will test again when i get home and see where its at! i'll just keep topping off w/ salt water till i get it up! )
hopefully cleaning crew will be in tomm night!

azfishgal

Originally Posted by larryndana
as for the brittle i don't think its needs 8 -12 months, just good stable water. linckia or fromia i would say deffinately 12 months or more, but since you can feed a brittle you would just need to make sure your parameters in check and stay that way.
There are certainly different opinions on this, but with that said, I'm only waiting 6 months before I get my brittle star.
Who knows, I might break down and do it sooner.

azfishgal

did my daily lunch break water test!

ph-8.2
ammonia- 0
nitrite- 0
nitrate- 0
salinity- 1.20 ( just add some salt water will test again when i get home and see where its at! i'll just keep topping off w/ salt water till i get it up! )
hopefully cleaning crew will be in tomm night!
If you just top off with saltwater (1.025) you won't have your salinity up high enough for your clean up crew by tomorrow. I've already had to raise and lower salinity twice with hypo and the last few points seem to be the hardest. What I would suggest is adding more salt to your mix and raise the salinity to at least 1.030 and add that to your DT for your top off. You don't have anything in it right now, so it won't hurt, just help you get that salinity up faster. If you just top off with 1.025 saltwater, you are probably looking at a week before it matches it.