500 gal reef converted to 850gal reef

steveweast

I really don't have any updated pics at this time....my latest project is the remodelling of the room on the viewing side of the tank. Also, I'm working on an extremely detailed website of my system which should debut in early summer.... this site will have tons of pics...macros, fulltanks, schematics, the works.

S

spsaddict

steve ive always used your tank for inspiration..... it is absolutly beautiful

steveweast

I am considering a webcam set up similar to what a friend of mine has up in Seattle. It can accommodate about 20 viewers at a time where the first viewer can control the camera pans and zooms.... it's pretty cool... and of course, it would be free. I haven't decided yet....just thinking about it.
My primary concern right now is the health of my tank. I'm in Hawaii right now on vacation for two weeks...... my tank is in the hands of a close friend who knows nothing about reefs (and as a result has no interest in any unauthorized fragging...lol). It's the first real test of all the automation features that I built into the system. I have 6 more days to go..... my friend's only task is to add fish food every other day...and of course, call me if something looks amiss.

dburr

it would take days to get in that 20 steve
Yeah, and years to get to control the camera.
:scared:

mr. tuna

:eek: :eek:
WOW!!!!
i can go snorkeling in that tank!!
that is.. i have to admitt, the nicest tank i have ever seen!!

steve the next time you get some pics could you get some of all sides close up.thast is the most beautiful aquarium I have ever seen how long did it take to cycle.I did not get to see your 500 gal any pics.thank you for sharing incredible!!!!!!!!

real

It seems like you'd have to actually get into the tank to place your corals and rock in there!
Haha. - Just imagine the fish's face when he comes home from the store or arrives in the mail, "DAMN I DIDN'T EXPECT A NEW HOME LIKE THIS!"
Very beautiful, bigger than the Zoo tanks!

corbin1234

First off i have to say, that is far the most beautiful tank i have ever seen and i also want to know, how much did the entire project cost?

Oh and dont enter tank of the month on this website because then we all will never have a chance.

dana&pj

I always thought Freud was crazy, but for the first time in my life I think I understand the concept of

[hr]
envy!
My beautiful in-wall hundred gal. looks really small now.

spinner

Steve -
Fantastic system. What an accomplishment.
Now that the tank has been set up for nearly 6 months (if I figured correctly), is there anything that you would do differently or have changed since the set up of your 850?
As for your skimmers (I believe I read in another thread that the system has 4), are they drawing water from various parts of the tank and from varying depths?
Lastly, how did you accomplish adequate circulation within your tank to satisfy the SPS corals but also the ricordea and other lower current corals?
Thanks for sharing your tank. By far one of the best tanks I've ever seen.
Spinner

redsnapper

Hey Steave,
It's been a while since i've posted on this thread, so what fish do you have? Also have the Heni's nipped at your coarls?:notsure:
Thanks, Alex:happyfish :happyfish :happyfish :happyfish :happyfish

crusinlow

Your tank is everyone's dream tank it is truly awesome.Ican't wait to see your upcoming web site.One of my questions is how did you place all your rock and corals?:notsure:

steveweast

Could you be a little more specific with that question.... I'm not quite sure what you're asking? But, my rocks are sitting on the supporting platforms...while some rocks sit on the acrylic bottom to hide the edge of those platforms..... and corals are just expoxied to the rocks. I try my best to create interesting aquascaping by choosing rocks that enable me to create ledges and outcroppings.... rather than my having just a pile of rocks. I've actually done quite of bit of improvements on the aquascaping lately that will be evident when the website is up and running.