65 gallon sps reef profile with many pics

brooklyn johnny

reefer, sorry it took so long to get back to you as I was on travel with work for almost a month... I'll pm you on the WAMAS board, and I hope to see you at the symposium...
Johnny

scubagirl

Brooklyn Johnny,
I can't say that I have ever seen a Red Sea Regal Angel. Stunning! Where did you get it? How much did it cost? and, does it always stay that color or it in it's juvenille phase? Most angels change color. Thanks for anything you can tell me. Beautiful tank!

brooklyn johnny

spsaddict I'll definately contact you soon... thanks...
Scubagirl, I got the regal angel at a local retailer/wholesaler that receives all of his shipments direct from the collectors. I paid just $85 for him, although they typically go for a little bit more than that. He is about six inches and well into adulthood. This fish is the only fish in it's genus (Pygoplites) and stays small for a non-Centropyge angel (around 10 inches or so). They are notoriously hard to adapt to aquariums, but recently many people are having more success with them. Getting them feeding is one of the major hurdles, and mine came in eating like crazy, and now has to fight my swarm of cardinals for food. Juveniles of this angel are rarely imported, but have just about the same color with the only difference being an eye spot near the dorsal fin. Those regals from the Indian Ocean and Red Sea have yellow chests like mine, but those from the Indo-Pacific region have a blue chest (although some Indo-Pacific regions have yellow chested varieties). It's one of the toughest angels to get to adapt, but once adapted is hardy.
He's been fine with all of my corals and clams, but did take out some zoanthids left over. I knew this would happen though after doing research and finding they love zoanthids.
On a side note I recently got back from a business trip to Guam where I saw these for the first time in the wild... here is a shot of one I took... arguably the most beautiful fish in the ocean... although most people should not try them...

scubagirl

Thank you for the wonderful information. I have a 100gal with mostly coral but this fish is beautiful. One of my favorites. All I have now as far as fish go is a damsel and clown. Both very easy to care for. Thanks!!

cliffrouse11bas

Beautiful tank. Just wandering is your 10 gallon tank still set up if so can you post some recent pictures and some of your corner tank. Thanks

aidos

one day (fingers crossed) i will be able to have a tank half as good as urs, one day.
thanks for all the photos and inspiration.

xabxam

Those are the coolest montiporas I have ever seen!I am very interested in your green monti cap,puple monti digi,and purple montipora peltiformis.Can you give me an email at gardnerml@comcast.net so we can discuss this further?Thanks

liontamer

Beautiful Tank, Bravo. Just, doesnt yer tank have one too many fish? How do u keep the water levels right? Just wondering. Thats a really nice angel though, beautiful specimen. I can only guess how much time and money and blood and sweat goes into that masterpiece. Keep up the good work.

corbin1234

as soon as i get my mh's, i can only wish my tank will look that good. That would be my ultimate favorite fish, if it wasnt so hard to take care of

brooklyn johnny

Thanks everyone!
To answer some of your questions...
cliffrouse the 10 gallon is broken down and all of its inhabitants are either in the 65 or the 54... cameras are both Nikon Coolpix (990 and 4300)... the whole Coolpix line is well known for its macro shot abilities.
xabxam I'll contact you this week.
Liontamer my system handles the bioload fine through the various means of filtration, however that is not to say that every 65 gallon would be able to handle that amount. The amount of bioload a system can handle is determined not by the amount of water but the design of the system itself.
corbin thanks for mentioning that the regal is a tough fish... I am always going to continue to stress that this fish is not for all. With that said many experienced reefers are having success with this fish nowadays...

brooklyn johnny

Many of the photos in the article were taken by my buddy Robie Sayan, but for most of my shots I use manual settings in macro mode... designated by the little flower on Nikon Coolpix cameras...

cliffrouse11bas

I just cant never get a good picture of any fishes. I have a decent camera a fuji s7000. I just need to practice and try some different things...