ADEE's 125

crimzy

I appreciate you not getting offended by my criticism. There are different ways to create and maintain a successful aquarium but the alternate theories generally come with experience. For someone new to the hobby, your best road to success is to follow the advice of most people on here, be conservative/patient and err on the side of caution. There are a lot of people who jump into this hobby, try to create a spectacular display in a day and when they don't have success, they get out pretty quickly. I realize that learning from our mistakes is valuable... but it's not necessary. It will be much less expensive, and much less frustrating if you learn from MY mistakes, (or other peoples on here).
BTW, if you want to feed your butterfly anemones, you may want to see if it'll eat aptasia, (which grows on liverock). If so then you can just put the rocks with these anemones in the tank as a food source. This is what I do for my copperband butterfly.

adee

I would love to hear more about feeding it the aptasia, what kind of requirements does the aptasia need? (lighting/feeding/where to get) Thank you again for your help.. i would rather get criticism from someone then the person say nothing.. otherwise i would learn nothing and make more mistakes.

crimzy

Originally Posted by ADEE
http:///forum/post/2964240
I would love to hear more about feeding it the aptasia, what kind of requirements does the aptasia need? (lighting/feeding/where to get) Thank you again for your help.. i would rather get criticism from someone then the person say nothing.. otherwise i would learn nothing and make more mistakes.
Aptasia are like saltwater weeds... they need nothing and grow like crazy. So you may want to make sure that your butterfly will eat them before introducing them to the tank. Because if your butterfly won't eat them, 1 will become 100 very quickly. But they are easy to find and relatively small. I cultivate them in my refugium and add some to my tank every week or two.

adee

a bunch of questions lol...
1.how will i know the butterfly will eat it?
2.i have a sump not a refugium, how do i grow it?
3.cant i just purchase it?
4.how often should it be eating it?
5.do i put it in the tank attached to an algae clip?
6.what do i do with the anemone, i feel bad just throwing it out... can i set it free in ocean? should i take it to the *****? i dont still have my receipt
LEVELS OF TANK:
amonia:0
nitrate:0
nitrite:0
ph:8.0
temp: 77 degrees
specif. gravity: 1.027
source of water: natural seawater
top off w/ RO water

crimzy

http:///forum/post/2964252
a bunch of questions lol...
1.how will i know the butterfly will eat it?
2.i have a sump not a refugium, how do i grow it?
3.cant i just purchase it?
4.how often should it be eating it?
5.do i put it in the tank attached to an algae clip?
6.what do i do with the anemone, i feel bad just throwing it out... can i set it free in ocean? should i take it to the *****? i dont still have my receipt
1) You will stick it in for a little while and watch... actually if the butterfly is in QT right now it's probably a good time to try without risk of introduction into your display.
2) If there is a light over the sump then you can put some liverock in there with aptasia and it will spread to the other rocks.
3) Yes, you can just purchase some rock with aptasia on it (may even get a discount because aptasia are considered pests).
4) I feed mine about once per week.
5) Just find a rock that has aptasia attached to them and put the rock in your tank.
6) Do not introduce into the ocean. Take the anemone to a LFS or give to another hobbiest.

nissan577

http:///forum/post/2963377
thanks you two!!
hey nissan, when you make your way up here to go to that shop you can stop by and see the big tank
were LOVING IT!
hey adee! we are heading up there today! let me give you a call! and i might stop by the store as well!

First of all, I enjoyed reading this thread and following your progression. I noticed you used one of your current pictures for your avatar. I would personally go with either the above picture or the below picture you posted earlier. The ray is much more clear in either of those pics. Especially the one with the blue background; it really stands out. JMO though. All of your pics are very nice!

Secondly, I'm sorry to hear about your ich "outbreak". It sounds like it will be easily manageable however. I've had my 75 gallon mixed reef established for over two years now and both times I've introduced ich by introducing a new specimen (I do not have a QT tank and I know I should), I let the fish fight through it. All I did was use the garlic on the food method and the ich "disappeared" within days. Obviously, this is not the best method and I'm not recommending you follow what I did, but it worked for me. I felt if the fish can fight through the affection themselves, then they will be stronger and better off for it.
Nice tank and pics and beautiful fish by the way!!!

adee

thanks horn for your comments... we too treated the food with garlic extreme in the main tank as well as in the QT tank. the butterfly is doing fantastic and is showing no signs of the ich on its fins.. not sure if it was something i *thought* i saw and didnt or what. were still holding it in QT just to be on the safe side for at least a couple weeks and see what happens. we also removed the anemone. were still trying to decide what were going to do with it long term. i need to get some new pics up, i love photography, thank you for the compliments

adee

new pics from this afternoon
proof that i have a real stingray.. its FINALLY starting to hide beneath the sand

front on..

my firefish that was saved from its bully partner is finally growing back its top fin.. now if i can only catch the darn thing so i can put it back in the nano to avoid being eaten by its current room mates

my pig snowflake eel that wants to eat EVERY FREAKIN' DAY!

choc. chip star eating...

adee

thank you... were working on it for sure. its just being such a pain in the butt when we try to feed everything else.

mopar9012

ahh ive always wanted a ray. Im jealous!
sadly I have the funds of an 18 year old about to start college next year...haha
very nice tank.

adee

Originally Posted by mopar9012
http:///forum/post/2973346
ahh ive always wanted a ray. Im jealous!
sadly I have the funds of an 18 year old about to start college next year...haha
very nice tank.
lol.. i totally understand, 24yo, couple with two young children, both working and im a college student at night,despite having two decent incomes its amazing just how expensive it is living "on your own" let alone having this fairly expensive hobby ...
the fact that the ray only ran us $40 it didnt hurt us too much lol.
thank you for the compliment.