ADEE's 125

adee

got a heater last night for our tank, the temps were a bit low (77 or so at night) and it gradually brought it up to 82 this morning, we might tweak it a little bit but were seeing how things go, everything was really active last night and this morning though since putting in the new heater. i also replaced my filter in the tank.. whiteside up according to the directions but thats not how the other one was in there (perhaps the guy who set it up did it wrong.. or do i have it wrong?)
our levels were:
Salinity: 1.028 (remember, using natural sea water)
PH: 8.2
ammonia: 0
nitrite: 0
nitrate: 0
everyone is doing pretty good if i do say so myself... havnt done a water change yet

adee

we lost our butterfly today... didnt even get a chance to find its way back "home" i think the stress of the move plus the treatment was too much for it to bare... Ill eventually get around to posting new pics, im just kinda bummed right now about my butterfly.. there goes $50 too

zip

ADEE, I'm sorry for your loss. My first dog ran away, my second dog was hit by a car, my third dog, well that's a story for a different board. I cried for each of them when I lost them.
As an adult I chose marine life to keep as a pet. I thought it would be simpler then dog ownership; a pet that didn't require as much of my time and thought. I couldn't have been more wrong.
As a child I had fish tanks. My dad had fish tanks too. My dad's fish tanks were always bigger and nicer then mine. I remember the day I figured out the difference between my fish tank and my dads. I said to my dad, "Dad, you know what the difference is between your fish tank and mine?". "No Son, what's the difference" he asked. "Money" I replied.
I've had my reef tank for about three years now and I'm still a novice. I still have so many questions and so many dreams. Through the whole time I've stuck to one fundamental philosophy that has directed me. I am managing an ecosystem. It is not a fish tank. It's more then an aquarium. It is a system of life and death that I control to the best of my ability. I work to better that ability as best I can.
It's not just money. I have more money then my Dad today and i have a better fish tank. But it's not a hobby that you can just through money at (trading stocks IS a hobby you can though money at however). I could have spent a whole lot more money faster on a bigger tank but I don't think this would have produced a better tank. I have gone slow and suffered many loses. But none of these loses have bothered me from a financial prospective. It's not the 50 bucks that bothers me- I'm bothered that I let my pet die. And I know we are all doing out best to keep our pets alive- sometimes they just run into traffic or jump out of the tank. When my dog runs into traffic and dies I don't think, damn, there goes $200 bucks.
That's just my prospective. I see corals, fish, and invertebrates as pets, with names, who I love and who I say hello to and good night too. When I lose money on stocks I say, "damn, I'm out $50 bucks"; when I lose a pet I morn their death.

adee

i have a child with a very serious medical condition that is the difference between life and death... as much as i would like to say i mourn over my fish dying, i dont. i consider them a part of our life as much as i do our pet rabbits.. i love having them around, wouldnt have it any other way but i dont go to the extreme of naming them all, having a funeral when they die, mourning for days, exc. I do everything in my power to keep their "home" as near perfect as i can and pride myself when things are going as planned... i did say i was disappointed/bummed and upset over losing my butterfly and in addition to being bothered by that i also lost a hard earned $50. you may be well off, even rich and petty dollars dont mean much to you but for our family it does... it sucks to loose money, not quite as much as losing the fish but it sucks, judge me how you want.

Originally Posted by ADEE
http:///forum/post/2991251
i have a child with a very serious medical condition that is the difference between life and death... as much as i would like to say i mourn over my fish dying, i dont. i consider them a part of our life as much as i do our pet rabbits.. i love having them around, wouldnt have it any other way but i dont go to the extreme of naming them all, having a funeral when they die, mourning for days, exc. I do everything in my power to keep their "home" as near perfect as i can and pride myself when things are going as planned... i did say i was disappointed/bummed and upset over losing my butterfly and in addition to being bothered by that i also lost a hard earned $50. you may be well off, even rich and petty dollars dont mean much to you but for our family it does... it sucks to loose money, not quite as much as losing the fish but it sucks, judge me how you want.
Totally agree with you.

adee

phew!!
glad im not the only one... it came out kinda harsh but i couldnt think of a better way to put it. tone is a difficult thing to determine via internet

taznut

Originally Posted by WorrBaller
http:///forum/post/2954199
AH! I just had a great idea! Do a huge mat of GSP on the sand bed! It'll look like a meadow.
that would look awesome... but if you had grass, would you have to mow???

looking great and good pics...

salt life

Originally Posted by Zip
http:///forum/post/2989927
ADEE, I'm sorry for your loss. My first dog ran away, my second dog was hit by a car, my third dog, well that's a story for a different board. I cried for each of them when I lost them.
As an adult I chose marine life to keep as a pet. I thought it would be simpler then dog ownership; a pet that didn't require as much of my time and thought. I couldn't have been more wrong.
As a child I had fish tanks. My dad had fish tanks too. My dad's fish tanks were always bigger and nicer then mine. I remember the day I figured out the difference between my fish tank and my dads. I said to my dad, "Dad, you know what the difference is between your fish tank and mine?". "No Son, what's the difference" he asked. "Money" I replied.
I've had my reef tank for about three years now and I'm still a novice. I still have so many questions and so many dreams. Through the whole time I've stuck to one fundamental philosophy that has directed me. I am managing an ecosystem. It is not a fish tank. It's more then an aquarium. It is a system of life and death that I control to the best of my ability. I work to better that ability as best I can.
It's not just money. I have more money then my Dad today and i have a better fish tank. But it's not a hobby that you can just through money at (trading stocks IS a hobby you can though money at however). I could have spent a whole lot more money faster on a bigger tank but I don't think this would have produced a better tank. I have gone slow and suffered many loses. But none of these loses have bothered me from a financial prospective. It's not the 50 bucks that bothers me- I'm bothered that I let my pet die. And I know we are all doing out best to keep our pets alive- sometimes they just run into traffic or jump out of the tank. When my dog runs into traffic and dies I don't think, damn, there goes $200 bucks.
That's just my prospective. I see corals, fish, and invertebrates as pets, with names, who I love and who I say hello to and good night too. When I lose money on stocks I say, "damn, I'm out $50 bucks"; when I lose a pet I morn their death.
........... anyway
sorry to hear about your loss, as much as it sucks, it happens. I bought a $60jeweled moray, and it died the next day (wasn't healthy when I bought it) so I know how it is, I was more bummed that I lost 60 bucks though even though the eel was gorgeous, that kinda stuff happens, can't do much about it.

socal57che

Now that we're done with the mushy crap, how about a nice new pic?
Pics are the reason Al Gore invented the interwebs.

adee

here are some new pics!
side view

big view... took a lot of rock out to give ray maximum room

dirty sump

adee

lol and here I thought my sump was filthy!! Thanks!
sorry for the delay in getting pics posted, its been kinda crazy lately and i honestly havnt had time and when i did have time i had my camera in my car charged and ready for my friend whos due to have her baby any day.