An EXTREME test of 'thriftiness' (PART 2)

t316

Originally Posted by Scotts
http:///forum/post/3232386
Gotta love being in double digits!

Hey just so you know. The other day we were pulling up to the house and my son blurts out. "I really like our mailbox"

We need pics...

t316

Originally Posted by JTT
http:///forum/post/3232884
hows it goin today bro?
Still hanging on...

Went to two parties this weekend (one last night, one tonight) where drinks were involved (always a trigger). Tonights gathering was really tough, as this one guy kept lighting up cigs every 10 mins. I'm not a cig guy, but every time I saw the lighter flare up, I was quickly reminded. Rough times, but still clean...

STATUS

+ 72.00 (Days 1-12)
- 19.00 (gum, jerky & sunflower seeds (I got a lot) )
- 8.00 (ordered a sampler pack of the Smokey Mountain substitute)

[hr]
Total = + $45.00

Y

yoshii

Originally Posted by T316
http:///forum/post/3232932
Still hanging on...

Went to two parties this weekend (one last night, one tonight) where drinks were involved (always a trigger). Tonights gathering was really tough, as this one guy kept lighting up cigs every 10 mins. I'm not a cig guy, but every time I saw the lighter flare up, I was quickly reminded. Rough times, but still clean...

STATUS

+ 72.00 (Days 1-12)

[hr]
Total = + $45.00

You're doing awesome so far! Just think of going on that trip with all the money you're going to save!

scotts

Dude you are doing awesome! Parties like that are hard especially when you get a few drinks under your belt.

t316

Update:
Smokey Mountain products arrived yesterday

That was a big boost in moral, as it helped in the short term gratification. At first taste I was worried that it might be just a replacement, and be counter-productive. But no, I quickly realized that although it serves it's purpose, it's not addictive and not quite the same. Although I must admit, somebody did their homework, because that stuff is dead on....even using a hint of cayenne pepper powder to add the slight burn/tingling effect....dang

On the downside, I ran out of the old nicotine gum I had, so I got some more from my connection at Glaxo. Got 2 boxes (one 4 mg, and one 2 mg as a step down), but this is going to be a $51 hit to my stash. So here's the current #'s...
STATUS

+ 90.00 (Days 1-15)
- 51.00 (nicotine gum)

[hr]
Total = + $12.00
I know, this is NOT looking good (as far as the challenge is concerned). I had to sit and wait 3 hrs. today while my vehicle was being serviced, so I did the math. Technically, I don't have enough days left to make up the needed amount that I have spent. However, today's 3 hr. waste of time gave me another idea. I totally missed lunch today, because the morons had my vehicle tied up, and then it occured to me....I can do a piece of fruit, or skip lunch a few times here and there, instead of $5 fast food, to make up the difference that I have spent on aids to help quit...

There is no doubt that without the aids (sunflower seeds, gum, etc) that I would fail right now, just keeping it real and calling like I see it. So do I scrap the purchases, which will lead to a fail, or call an audible and find a solution. I chose the latter. I'm still brainstorming on the details. I know all this is confusing, but I'm still clean right now.

stdreb27

http:///forum/post/3232932
Still hanging on...

STATUS

+ 72.00 (Days 1-12)

[hr]
Total = + $45.00

I remember going to this mall (the first time I really quit) and sitting really close to this table that was smoking, and breathing in like a mofo... Not my highest moment.

http:///forum/post/3234615
Update:
Smokey Mountain products arrived yesterday

That was a big boost in moral, as it helped in the short term gratification. At first taste I was worried that it might be just a replacement, and be counter-productive. But no, I quickly realized that although it serves it's purpose, it's not addictive and not quite the same. Although I must admit, somebody did their homework, because that stuff is dead on....even using a hint of cayenne pepper powder to add the slight burn/tingling effect....dang

On the downside, I ran out of the old nicotine gum I had, so I got some more from my connection at Glaxo. Got 2 boxes (one 4 mg, and one 2 mg as a step down), but this is going to be a $51 hit to my stash. So here's the current #'s...
STATUS

+ 90.00 (Days 1-15)
- 51.00 (nicotine gum)

[hr]
Total = + $12.00
I know, this is NOT looking good (as far as the challenge is concerned). I had to sit and wait 3 hrs. today while my vehicle was being serviced, so I did the math. Technically, I don't have enough days left to make up the needed amount that I have spent. However, today's 3 hr. waste of time gave me another idea. I totally missed lunch today, because the morons had my vehicle tied up, and then it occured to me....I can do a piece of fruit, or skip lunch a few times here and there, instead of $5 fast food, to make up the difference that I have spent on aids to help quit...

There is no doubt that without the aids (sunflower seeds, gum, etc) that I would fail right now, just keeping it real and calling like I see it. So do I scrap the purchases, which will lead to a fail, or call an audible and find a solution. I chose the latter. I'm still brainstorming on the details. I know all this is confusing, but I'm still clean right now.
If you're still feeling it physically, I'd seriously go to the doc and pick up some chantix. It is crazy how much it curbs the cravings. And I could do 2 cans a day, if I was sitting in an office.

t316

Originally Posted by stdreb27
http:///forum/post/3234622
If you're still feeling it physically, I'd seriously go to the doc and pick up some chantix. It is crazy how much it curbs the cravings. And I could do 2 cans a day, if I was sitting in an office.
I think I have made it past most of the physical part, but that's why I got some more of the gum...to be sure.
It's hitting the serious mental stage. I don't know how to describe it. Some parts of the day, I just keep some sunflower seeds in my mouth and it doesn't even cross my mind. But occassionally, I just want to grab a glass bottle and throw it as hard as I can against a brick wall, just to see it shatter into a million pieces. These episodes usually only last a few minutes, then it's another pity party, like the realization that my best friend is dead, and not coming back...

scotts

Interesting that you would say "million pieces" There was that _hole that wrote a book titled million little pieces. Nothing else needs to be said, just interesting.
As far as the $$ goes, you need to look at this as an investment. Say you buy a machine for the shop floor, you don't expect it to make money for you from day one. It takes time to recoop the expenses. This is the same way. In fact you should budget some quittin' money. Say $300. So you are looking to spend 300, to make 3,000. I would take that investment any day. This is of course assuming that you are going to start back up again the day you come back from your trip. Otherwise it is money that you just keep saving. BTW that does lead to the question, are you putting the money in a jar of just assuming that it is money that you are saving? Seems to me you should put it somewhere, if you leave it in the bank then you will just spend it on something else.

stdreb27

http:///forum/post/3234633
I think I have made it past most of the physical part, but that's why I got some more of the gum...to be sure.
It's hitting the serious mental stage. I don't know how to describe it. Some parts of the day, I just keep some sunflower seeds in my mouth and it doesn't even cross my mind. But occassionally, I just want to grab a glass bottle and throw it as hard as I can against a brick wall, just to see it shatter into a million pieces. These episodes usually only last a few minutes, then it's another pity party, like the realization that my best friend is dead, and not coming back...

It only lasts a at worst 15 minutes...

t316

http:///forum/post/3234773
Interesting that you would say "million pieces" There was that _hole that wrote a book titled million little pieces. Nothing else needs to be said, just interesting.
As far as the $$ goes, you need to look at this as an investment. Say you buy a machine for the shop floor, you don't expect it to make money for you from day one. It takes time to recoop the expenses. This is the same way. In fact you should budget some quittin' money. Say $300. So you are looking to spend 300, to make 3,000. I would take that investment any day. This is of course assuming that you are going to start back up again the day you come back from your trip. Otherwise it is money that you just keep saving. BTW that does lead to the question, are you putting the money in a jar of just assuming that it is money that you are saving? Seems to me you should put it somewhere, if you leave it in the bank then you will just spend it on something else.
I just randomly threw that out there, I had no idea. I looked up the book, and I vaguely remember the story. Wasn't this the guy on Oprah, that they found out he made everything up?
Originally Posted by stdreb27

http:///forum/post/3234788
It only lasts a at worst 15 minutes...
Yes, but those 15 min. segments seem like a week while they are happening

t316

http:///forum/post/3234773
BTW that does lead to the question, are you putting the money in a jar of just assuming that it is money that you are saving? Seems to me you should put it somewhere, if you leave it in the bank then you will just spend it on something else.
What I had planned on doing is taking the money out of the bank (literally) at the end of each month, and keeping it put away. I knew there would be some expenses, so by waiting until the end of the month, I can eliminate all of the back and forth of putting money in/out on a daily basis.
So, only about 4 more days until my first paycheck...

scotts

http:///forum/post/3234633

You said it perfectly! That is the exact struggle of what you go through at this stage, especially the best friend is dead and not coming back part. That is an awesome way to describe it. This is where I faltered, I figured just one more time..........
Sounds like you are doing good and hanging in there.

meowzer

LOL....My husband and I quit together, so we were not only each others support...we were each others enemies...LOL....
it will be 5 years in April......he had only smoked cigs for 10 years, but he dipped almost his whole life. He had quit dipping 2 years prior....he did say that was harder though
still her for ya though T316 :)

t316

STATUS
+ 120.00 (Days 1-20)
- 51.00 (nicotine gum)

[hr]
Total = + $42.00

teresaq

ok, You can do it, If I can. I have been smoke free since July 1st. I still have cravings, but they dont last long. I still chew nic gum, but only about 3 - 2mg pieces a day. (buy the walmart brand, 170 pieces for 33 bucks). a box lasts about 3 weeks.
I smoked for 32 yrs. I still would love to have a smoke, but know that if I have even one, I would have to start all over. Hang in there, it does get a little easier as time goes by.
T