Any hunters these pics are not for the weak stomach

oaktree

Originally Posted by Speg
Thats disturbing.. how can a man kill something so beautiful? Kill a cow... they're ugly as sin.
***) ***) ***) You have started it now I will hush and just read let the argument begin!!

rberhow

OK, I wasn't going to and will probably regret this, but I have to slightly disagree with the "luck" theory of the big buck. My dad and brothers get a little obsessive around deer season, well any hunting or fishing season really, but I do have to say a certain amount of skill goes into to it as well. They spend weeks scoping out the "perfect" deer, watching its daily habits, where it beds down, and so on. So I believe that it does take atleast some perseverance and yes, some insanity sometimes too. Thankfully, that is something that stays to the males of my family.
Just wanted to throw that out there and see if I could get the debate going again.
Oh, and yes, we get to sit around and watch tv while being stared at by deer heads, fish, and other "trophies" but none quite like Darthy-poo contemplates mounting.

usinkit

When someone goes out once and awhile and shoots a deer I do beleive that most times its luck. I spend alot of time off season sitting in various stands watching the area and I also walk the property looking for travel paths from their feed to bed. This buck I shot I saw him 3 or 4 times during bow season and never could get a shot at him. When rifle season came it was in the peak of the rut and he lost his mind looking for dow. I feel I got lucky only because he was preoccupied.

rberhow

Ahhh, Usinkit, I see you caught a little of the insanity bug then too.
YOu sound just like the male species in our family. BTW, I completely spaced it and forgot to tell you, nice deer and yes he will make a nice mount. Where did you hit him at? Is the cape still intact?

usinkit

Thanks. I double lung him. This deer didnt suffer at all. He went about 10 to 15 yards and that was it. He was only 40 yards away when I shot him so it was a real close shot. The cape wasnt even touched. And yes I do get insane when September 15st rolls around. To me I love being out in the woods from 0:30 dark to 0:30 dark. I dont think my wife sees me much during the 5 month hunting season. I know she tired of hearing about my big day taking down unlucky bucky!!! :hilarious

rberhow

YOur poor wife, send her my sympathies. And where are you going to get to hang this beauty? THe garage? The shed? The closet in the basement?
Just teasing.

xrayman

For all those out there making comments about killing deer i will tell you from experience if you were out there to see what hunters go through just to see a deer like that you would do a llittle bragging to don't knock it till you try it.People should thank the hunters for doing what they do if it wasn/t for them the deer would over populate and carry illness.I commend you on very nice deer happy hunting

usinkit

Yea hanging it in the house was a problem at first. I finally got her to agree(like she really had a choice) She said if I put sunglasses on it it could go in the livingroom. She doesnt like it when a dead animal stares at her.I dont think the sunglasses are going to work for me though. She is also a vegetarian. Shes a good sport though. Its funny when she cooks meat she wears rubber gloves!!!

usinkit

Thanks xrayman!!! It does take patients to sit in a tree trying to smell like a tree and look like one for 12 hours, but IMO its alot of fun. Plus all the other critters that you get to see its truely amazing on how close these critters get when you are out there being one with the trees!!!

xrayman

I here you i'm a big hunter bow,muzzleloader and rifle if people only knew hours many hows you are out there just to get a shot at sometheing like that.For me its all about being out in the woods away from everything(beeper,cellphone) and enjoying nature and well when a deer of any kind comes by you and is right under your stand the heart gets to pumping there is not no other feeling like it out there.

chipmaker

As long as an animal is taken clean and quick (comes with experience and practiceing with what you use to take game with) and the meat is utilized, and not thrown away just to have a mount, thats fine.....I do not consider that trophy hunting....its called utilization of what you harvest....Harvest is the word to use not kill as deer are harvested......it even sounds better than the word kill......HOwever its killing when an animal is taken and just the mount is kept. I dop not care who you are, if you got a large deer, bass, or what have you, its all together in good taste to brag about it, be it luck or stealthy hunting / fishing, yo got it you have bragging rights....Its a perfectly natural trait. Folks brag about their new set of wheels, their new 210 gal reef tank, their new ASM skimmer, their childs grade point average etc etc....why is something you bagged any different.

jr2857

i hate hunters who just kill an animal to put on display. i would NEVER kill an animal unless it is for a good purpose like eating. fish on the otherhand when kept is a good purpose for me
though people should never ever ever EVER put them in small tanks.

moeel

To be honest with you thats a small buck my friend. You need to come up here and hu8nt with me my friend. I can teach you some good old redneck tricks.

moeel

Originally Posted by jr2857
i hate hunters who just kill an animal to put on display. i would NEVER kill an animal unless it is for a good purpose like eating. fish on the otherhand when kept is a good purpose for me
though people should never ever ever EVER put them in small tanks.
Do you guys not realize how good deer is to eat, the sasauge is ten times better than that jimmy dean crap, the tenderloins are good as hell, do i need to keep going on. And the best part is they still look good mounted. But the pic he has is a small one around where i am, i pass on bucks like that all the time.

chipmaker

Originally Posted by MoEel
To be honest with you thats a small buck my friend. You need to come up here and hu8nt with me my friend. I can teach you some good old redneck tricks.
"Rednecks", and here I thought they only existed in my area in the deep south........But evidently since you mentioned "up here" you must be higher up than usinkit is.....Guess those rednecks must be migrating more than usual.

usinkit

For CT this buck is above average. Now out in KS there are some big boys that top the 250lb +scale. Ill take this buck any day here in CT.
MoEel
Where you from?

moeel

Iowa, now your talkin monster deers. We should meet up some time if your headin out here in the near future.

aw2

usinkit!! Great trophy White Tail!
We need more avid hunters likes us. Unfortunately, here in IL, we're not allowed to hunt with rifles...shotgun, muzzle loader and box only.
2 years ago, I shot an 18 point and had it mounted.
There's absolutely nothing wrong, AT ALL, about having a deer mounted. You dont eat the neck or head...why throw it away?
My best friends family are all avid hunters. His dad has four or five 12 point (or higher) displayed in their house. Every year, we decorate them...give them christmas ornament ear rings, drap tinsel around their necks and put santa hats on them.