Anyone ever heard of an ecoaqualizer?

mmm33732

how much are these things?
so alls they are is magnets taped on a tube? why couldn't you make one for 2 bucks and see if it works?
their site says:
" ECO-AqualizerTM restores this reactivity using specific polarity and far infrared radiation. These combined forces in a vacuum sealed reaction chamber, allow ionization of passing water molecules which reduces Hydrogen Bonding."
i wasn't aware magnets give off infrared radiation... guess you learn something new every day.
i wonder if the polarity of the magnets matters or if it really is under a vacuum and whether or not a vac would even matter...

nigerbang

I didn't add all the pics.. Its pvc with a barb fitting 5 or 6 magnets wrapped in cheap label held on with clear tape. Google it and reef.org

mmm33732

i'll tell you what, there is some truth to this thing. i figured what the hell and went out and bought some super strong button magnets and taped them around the outlet hose of my uv sterilizer in the same fashion as they did. that was 2 days ago. i didn't really think it would do anything, but my tank deff got clearer. i thought it was damn clear before, but this is even more. other people even noticed it as well, so i know its not just me. when you look thought it long ways (4 ft.) its as clear as if you are only looking an inch into it. my skimmate seemed to get slightly darker as well. could be coincidence though i suppose. for 3 bucks, id recommend buying some button magnets and trying it yourself. i'm glad i did.

beatlesfan

I haven't acually tried one out yet but I have one arguement: You say there just abunch of magnets taped to PVC.... SO if the magnets break up the molecules then who cares?!?!?

bang guy

Originally Posted by Beatlesfan
I haven't acually tried one out yet but I have one arguement: You say there just abunch of magnets taped to PVC.... SO if the magnets break up the molecules then who cares?!?!?
I think you're starting to believe the hype. What molecules do you think magnetism can break up?
Do you think it's honest to charge $70 for $0.50 worth of magnets and claim it will solve all of your tanks problems?

stdreb27

Originally Posted by Bang Guy
I think you're starting to believe the hype. What molecules do you think magnetism can break up?
Do you think it's honest to charge $70 for $0.50 worth of magnets and claim it will solve all of your tanks problems?
yeah that is pretty much this product in a nut shell.

mmm33732

i went to walmart and got a package of 4 super strong button magnets. they were in the craft area. it was about 3 bucks for them. i taped them about an inch apart, 2 on one side, 2 on the other alternating (like in the picture). they are just taped directly into the output hose (1/2" id) of my uv sterilizer. as far as polarity, i made them so they attract toward each other. i've had great results so far with just that. i'll prob pick up another 4 and add those too. its still hard for me to believe little magnets actually did work, but they really have so for. clearer water and extremely dark skimmate for me.

beatlesfan

Originally Posted by Bang Guy
LOL your probly right..... I am still going to pick op some big magnets. Hey mmm33732 can you show a pic or something to which way there supposed to face?

beatlesfan

Originally Posted by jessica47421
what did you tape them with?
probably anything but electrical tape will hold better/look nicer.

srfisher17

Originally Posted by jessica47421
do u just place this thing down in the tank on the sand or where?
The gizmo is a tube that cannot be submersed, needs water pumped thru it. The smaller ones come with a pump; the larger ones need to go in-line somewhere.
My reputation is already in question (I do lots of things differently, but my tanks thrive), so here goes. I got one of these from a friend last March, read about it and laughed. I called a couple of their retailers, they were shops I knew about and both knew they weren't going to sell me one--both liked it (of course). I've used it, then removed it several times on my 55 gal "Small Fish" tank. I'm absolutely convinced it does something; I don't know what. When in use, skimmer produces more & darker crud and my shyest fairy wrasse spend much more time out & about. Their guarantee is hard to beat and I know they honor it; so I'm going to try a bigger one on a bigger tank. Maybe I just like toys, but I'll keep everyone posted. (Yeah, it looks dumb to me too)

nigerbang

Originally Posted by jonthefishguy
Come'on dont be so gulible! That doesnt work. There is a sucker born everyday. By the way, here is a link that debunks it.
http://rexgrigg.com/debunked.htm
LOL....That was great..Funny and Informative..I still think they are selling Snake Oil

srfisher17

Originally Posted by jonthefishguy
Come'on dont be so gulible! That doesnt work. There is a sucker born everyday. By the way, here is a link that debunks it.
http://rexgrigg.com/debunked.htm
Yeah, I've read that and am probably the sucker born on my minute; but my observations on this thing are accurate. It would help if folks who used this reported their failures Since I was given this thing, I've heard lots of skepticism, but little comment from actual users. I can remember the de-bunkers of live rock as filter media way back when. If I saw an ad for this thing,and did the usual research; I wouldn't buy one either. But this didn't cost me a dime and sure can't hurt anything (I don't think). Our hobby is flooded with worthless stuff that actually real damage; all the SW ich cures, ***** fish & advice as examples.

stdreb27

Originally Posted by srfisher17
Yeah, I've read that and am probably the sucker born on my minute; but my observations on this thing are accurate. It would help if folks who used this reported their failures Since I was given this thing, I've heard lots of skepticism, but little comment from actual users. I can remember the de-bunkers of live rock as filter media way back when.
I haven't personally used it, but I have a good friend who has/had it on his tank and could see no difference in his tank, infact his tank crashed while it was hooked up.
As for this guy debunking it, he has a couple good points, but most of his dribble is just as unsupported.

srfisher17

Originally Posted by stdreb27
I haven't personally used it, but I have a good friend who has/had it on his tank and could see no difference in his tank, infact his tank crashed while it was hooked up.
As for this guy debunking it, he has a couple good points, but most of his dribble is just as unsupported.
I agree; and I sure don't see the de-bunker (love that word) stating his credentials. I'm not saying the de-bunker is wrong; but I'll bet I could write a scientific sounding article de-bunking protein skimmers if I tried...and a lot of people would just accept my word as fact...happens all the time in graduate schools.