Aqua Illumination Led Light?

2quills

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic51 http:///t/393233/aqua-illumination-led-light/60#post_3497496
I thought I had heard complaints on the maxspect mounts.....
I'm not sure. There's bound to be a few complaints out there on pretty much anything. I haven't really looked into these products much lately. Just tossing out ideas for the non-diy stuff. I kind of like the rail system that A.I. is using. Though it would be a little bit gaudy looking coming up the sides of the tank.

luvmyreef

Yeah, I like the looks of the maxspect, but wondered if it would place the lights too close to the tank with the initial installation. May cause problems acclimating your tank to leds..??

2quills

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyreef http:///t/393233/aqua-illumination-led-light/60#post_3497504
Yeah, I like the looks of the maxspect, but wondered if it would place the lights too close to the tank with the initial installation. May cause problems acclimating your tank to leds..??

Personally, I wouldn't want my fixtures that close to the water like the maxspect illustration shows. I know that the A.I. rail systems are adjustable and you can raise them pretty high. They would also be less restrictive during maintenance. But as far as the acclimation goes I don't think that it is a big issue since you have the ability to adjust the brightness with these units.

acrylic51

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Quills http:///t/393233/aqua-illumination-led-light/60#post_3497499
I'm not sure. There's bound to be a few complaints out there on pretty much anything. I haven't really looked into these products much lately. Just tossing out ideas for the non-diy stuff. I kind of like the rail system that A.I. is using. Though it would be a little bit gaudy looking coming up the sides of the tank.
I wonder what their charging for the mounting systems for the AI......You can find something very similar and adaptive to them on ebay......I had posted pics way back on pieces like that I had been considering for my light rack.

acrylic51

I think I've heard 10yrs, but don't quote me, but each LED manufacturer usually in there specs will give a life expectancy, but those are general and several things can influence the life.....The biggest is how their driven and how cool they are run......For the most part they don't have near the spectral shift as a MH or fluorescent bulb would have.....

snakeblitz33

I think a big advantage of home made LED units is that you can order the LED stars and solder them in once the whole string is gone. I have no idea, though, how long a driver should last. Maybe the LEDs could last ten years with three new drivers... I dont know... there aren't any units on the market right now that have been made for reef tanks that have been tested that long yet.

2quills

Most leds I think have the potential for up to about 50,000 hours under the best conditions possible. I believe that would translate to roughly around 10-12 years worth of regular use by a hobbyist. Though some leds will probably start dropping out years before that.

snakeblitz33

Yeah, I seriously think it has to do with how hot they run and how moist the environment is. ... If you mount a unit in an enclosed area such as a canopy without much ventilation if any - then sure, I can see these units not lasting to their full potential.

acrylic51

I'm not really sure how the environment would play into the life expectancy as far as moisture.....Technically the emitter is sealed......I might be wrong someone correct me on that, but I would assume it is sealed, because I remember people using super glue to glue on lenses had issues with the actually LED being affected, so that's why my thinking leads me to believe they are sealed. I think a big factor would be keeping them well cooled, and not over driving or pushing them close to their limits, but just as any bulb or light you'll have those rare instances, but at least with a DIY rig, it could easily be swapped out.
My thinking is even with the AI's & Radions, they definitely would have replacement pucks that could be swapped out fairly easy, but at what cost who knows.......Drivers I would say wouldn't be much different than a MH or fluorescent ballast as far as life expectancy, and again keeping them cool and air circulating around them might help some possibly.......

2quills

Life expectancy of an led will very from one manufacturer to another.
Cree XP-G for instance, according to their data sheet recommends running them at 2/3rds of their max rating. And if you can keep the diodes running at an operating temp of about 180 degrees C then they have a life expectancy of 25,000 hours. Now, if you ran them at 1/3rd or their max rating which would keep them cooler then you'd probably see longer life then that. And of couse it all comes down to the quality of the product itself as well as steps that you take to help keep them operating as cool as possible..i.e. heatsinks and fans.
Their data sheet also says that they have an unlimited shelf life expectancy if keep in their moisture proof packaging that they original come in from the manufacturer. This would lead me to believe that moisture would play some sort of roll in their degradation.
I have some little 1 watt moisture proof led strips that I retrofitted on my pc fixture. One has already failed because I can see where moisture has already oxidized a couple of the contacts which caused them to short out. So much for moisture proof led strips.

luvmyreef

I believe it would. But not if you used the glass covers on your tank. They leave a small section open, so it is not totally closed. Surely that would help......

acrylic51

The glass covers IMO would be a hindrance regardless if left opened.....They would still accumulate condensation, salt creep, spray and cut down on penetration.....

luvmyreef

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic51 http:///t/393233/aqua-illumination-led-light/60#post_3497717
The glass covers IMO would be a hindrance regardless if left opened.....They would still accumulate condensation, salt creep, spray and cut down on penetration.....
You would have to keep them clean no doubt, but would they really cut down on penetration? They are not very thick at all. Just throwing stuff out there....I would hate to invest all that money for leds and then have issues with corrosion.....