Attn: Squidd

squidd

Second pic is for a closed loop system... not applicable at this point...
My understanding from re-reading thew last coup[le threads is that you are getting a "non-drilled" 90 gallon tank and plan on having the back drilled for "Weir" box overflows...
Is this correct...??
2 3/8" hole for 1 1/2" schd. 40 bulkhead...one each side 4" down 4" in from corner...

annanymous

thats the plan [having the tank drilled in the back], so two holes only. got ya.
i'm going on vocation for a week. once i get back, the first thing i do is place an order for the tank.
i want my tank up and runing before the end of summer.

acrylic51

Look at the ASM line of skimmers if your going with the needle wheel style... Heck of a lot cheaper than Euro

annanymous

Originally Posted by Squidd
2 3/8" hole for 1 1/2" schd. 40 bulkhead...one each side 4" down 4" in from corner...

so 2 holes driled in the back, the size of the holes mentioned above is the right one.
ait im ordering my tank tomorow.
thnx Squidd

annanymous

i hope you haven't forgotten about me...
this friday i have 1/2 a day at work so will finaly be able to go down to LFS and discuss wth them my tank. i tried calling but they confused me dso much that i said i have to come in. i am still planning to get the tank drilled in the back, but i would like to know the amount of holes /placement/ and size if i were to get a custom made tank just in case [maybe i would be able to cut a deal with them]
:joy:
also im starting to work on my sump, except that i'm not sure what size the inserts have to be and whether i can get acryli or glass and if its only 4 or more. so far i will use the 30 gal as a sump/fuge and later on add on an extra tank as a fuge. :D
i am deciding on a skimmer. well i almost decided on a skimer -- asm g3 or asm g2x or something like that. my only concern is that the fooot is around 11x12 in. and i was wondering if there is anything thats just as good but a bit smaller?
thats it for now...hope to hear from you soon.
:happy: now that summer is here i get to spend more time on this project :happy:

squidd

Originally Posted by annanymous
.. i am still planning to get the tank drilled in the back, but i would like to know the amount of holes /placement/ and size if i were to get a custom made tank ..

Now, your talking a whole 'nother animal and a whole new set of discussions to "get it right"... I thought we were talking about doing the best we could with the 90 and get an overflow drilled in...??
also im starting to work on my sump, except that i'm not sure what size the inserts have to be and whether i can get acryli or glass and if its only 4 or more. so far i will use the 30 gal as a sump/fuge and later on add on an extra tank as a fuge. :D
i am deciding on a skimmer. well i almost decided on a skimer -- asm g3 or asm g2x or something like that. my only concern is that the fooot is around 11x12 in. and i was wondering if there is anything thats just as good but a bit smaller?
No.. good skimmers are BIG... hence the need for proper sized sumpd to get the most from them...If you use the 30 foer a sump only, and add a seperate fuge later, you'll have plentyof room...

annanymous

ok. i called all the stores in brooklyn area and here is the best deali got so far
90 gal drilled [2 holes : 2" and 1 1/2"] with an overflow by marineland company $265
other LFS wanted 200 for the tank, 90 for an overflow, 25 each hole, plus extra money for the bulkheads.
i think im gonna go with the marineland 90 gal drilled.
the sump/fuge will be 30 gal tank for now. i know its not enough for nutrient export, but for pod production and macros it will hopefully be enough.
i will be looking into Asm G2 or G3 skimmer models.
would 2 holes be enough for 90 gals? it comes pre-drilled from the company so they cannot drill any xtra holes or change these.
i reallyt dont want to waste my money on something useless and then pay more for something good. i'm trying my best to get the best equipment for my tank that is why i ask so many questions and bother you so much.
my stand is now complete [i've attahced a picture]
now i will concentrate ona sump.
glass or acrylic and how thick? size is a question also.

squidd

90 gal drilled [2 holes : 2" and 1 1/2"]
Is that the size of the "holes" or the size of the bulkheads...??
I'll assume these are "bottom drilled holes and a corner overflow...??
I like to work with glass (because "I" can) but many others chooose acrylic (for tanks and/or baffles..) really your choice..depends on what your comfortable with...
If you go with a 30 again set it up as a sump/skimmer/return only for now and add a decent fuge later..just plan ahead for it so it's an easy add on..
To try and "divide" it up for all three (with fuge) would make all chambers less than effecient...

annanymous

i see your point.
yes the tank is drilled on thew bottom and that is the size of the holes. the overflow is in the center.
ill use the 30 as a sump/skimmer only.
so we can size it for skimmer and return pump.
fuge will be added directly to the tank or the sump and how would i go about doing it?
about the flow rate...would mag 12 still be good. someone told me it will be an overkill to use a 30 gal for a 1200 gph flow. is that true?
i have all the parts for the return line, so should i put them together.
oh and whats a safe glue for SWT?
im making my own calcium reactor too, protrein skimmer im buying. i really wanted a fuge so im gonna check and see if maybe i can fit in a smaller tank for now so it would be easier to just upgrade later on. u think thats a good idea?
im scared of plumbing b/c i do not understand a thing about it, so the sooner plumbing will be done, the better i will feel. :yes:

annanymous

Squidd, i miss u now more then ever. i wish you'd come back sooner.
lol
i hope you'r enjoying the getaway.
i have a bit of a problem.
i purchased the 90 gal drilled on the bottom tank. the holes are 1 1/2" and 1". it has an overflow attached almost in the middle, but the problem is taht it has no piping in the overflow, after i paid for the tank and it was safely put in my car [a corolla ,which is a miracle in itself] they told me that the piping kit that this overflow needs costs 89.00 and includes all the pipes that have to go in the overflow.
im so lons, i tought i could get thiese at the hardware store, but they said its a special size that is not sold in HS, what do i do now? i cant return the tank[ no returns on aquariums] and i dont have another 89.00 bucks to waste on an overflow.
:help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help:

squidd

i purchased the 90 gal drilled on the bottom tank. the holes are 1 1/2" and 1".i purchased the 90 gal drilled on the bottom tank. the holes are 1 1/2" and 1".
Is that the actual "hole" size or sized for that size bulkhead...?? (2 3/8" ans 1 3/4" )

annanymous

ok i measured the holes myself those ppl at LFS are a bit stupid],
bigger whole is around 2" and smaller around 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 [i cant get exact measurements cuz the tank is up on the stand already, but that as close as i can get.
tomorow i will post a pic of the tank and its overflow.
the sump and fuge are my main problems now. they are all i have left to do before i can fill up my tank and start the cycle.
i was wondering if that diagram i posted earlier [not more then 3-4 posts ago] would be possible or would i have to reconsider. i would really like to have a big fuge

squidd

Originally Posted by annanymous
ok i measured the holes myself those ppl at LFS are a bit stupid],
bigger whole is around 2" and smaller around 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 [i cant get exact measurements cuz the tank is up on the stand already, but that as close as i can get.
You can order standard bulkheads on-line if the LFS doesn't have them and finish with hwdr store plumbing perta for a ot less than $89...
i was wondering if that diagram i posted earlier [not more then 3-4 posts ago] would be possible or would i have to reconsider. i would really like to have a big fuge
I don't like the two into one on the return...If one pump goes out the water will pump into the other chamber (sump or fuge) Set fuge "higher" and gravity drain to sump ...use one pump to return to tank..

annanymous

i will be using the 20 g H as a sump, not 25g. i'm going to buy baffles. i assume i'm gonna need 3, and as far as i have calculated they will be 10.5x12x1/4 ea. i hope im right. oh and they will be acrylic.
i went to petland disc. and they didnt have the bulk heads, ill try lowes as im going there anyway.
one more question. how much higher the fuge has to be compared to the sump. im going to have around 5" tops.
Squidd u'r the best