Building my 56 gallon Column reef tank

monsinour

when i feed flake or mysis I turn my pumps off. With the mysis soaked in garlic, I have been using a dropper to feed the tank. Its hard for me to see how they eat when I am going to the shrimp a few times to get enough into the tank for feedings. I might have the missus help me tomorrow.

grosfin

I typically introduce new fish to the tank right after a water change and make sure that the levels are perfect. This usually helps keep the stress level down to a minimum and the only thing the new fish has to worry about is his roommates.
----------------------

Tropical Fish Tanks

S

smartorl

It's just my opinion but it is based on my own experiences and the personal experiences of other reefers I know personally and that is that flake does far more harm than good.
There are applications where there is no other choice and I understand that.
I feel that the key to successful reefkeeping is balance. Nothing is added to my tanks without having a specific goal in mind which is to aid in creating an enclosed ecosystem.
With that being said, I also do everything as naturally as humanly possible. It is my opinion that natural foods will be more likely to be broken down by natural filtration. Just like with human food, the more processing a food undergoes, the farther from it's natural, healthier state it gets and the less nutritious it becomes.
When you say that 97% of your flake gets eaten at a feeding, that leaves 3% each day that your system has to deal with. That is alot!
I feel with great conviction that this is the source of your nitrates and that over time, they will become harder and harder to keep to a managable level. I would totally scrap the flake for a period of three months and keep an eye on your levels. I think you would be surprised!
Your tank is relatively new and so it's not at a point of being super stable yet, but consistantly having nitrates at this phase does show that there is something out of balance.
A few years back when we got pounded by 4 hurricanes just weeks apart, I resorted to using flake because refrigeration was an issue as was getting supplies. My tanks were horrible. My skimmers were pulling gunk like I have never seen and my corals and fish were all suffering. It was the only time I have ever noticed my tanks emitting a "smell".
This is my opinion and you can tell me where to go.

bang guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsinour http:///forum/thread/380344/building-my-56-gallon-column-reef-tank/740#post_3351195
I feed flakes in the morning and they almost all get eaten (95 to 97% gets eaten),
The cleanup crew will have no trouble consuming the 3-5% that's not eaten, there's no issue there.
The problem with flaked food is that as soon as it hits a liquid it begins to throw off Phosphate and Nitrate. Lots of Phosphate. You're going to get the Nitrate anywayeven if it's consumed but by the time the fish eat the flakes (1 - 5 seconds?) it's already too late. The advantage of a more natural food like Mysid or Silversides is that the nutrients stay in the food until digested by the fish.

monsinour

I think i am hearing that flakes are out. So, how should I go about making sure everyone eats? Should I try to feed 2 spots in the tank to ensure that the PJs come over for feeding? I mean, i know that is what i should do, as it makes sense, but what if that doesnt work?

2quills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsinour http:///forum/thread/380344/building-my-56-gallon-column-reef-tank/760#post_3351528
I think i am hearing that flakes are out. So, how should I go about making sure everyone eats? Should I try to feed 2 spots in the tank to ensure that the PJs come over for feeding? I mean, i know that is what i should do, as it makes sense, but what if that doesnt work?
I broadcast feed my tank. Everyone eats, corals, fish and all. I put the thawed food in a glass and add a little water to the glass (r/o) if ya got it. I even add a couple of tablespoons of phytoplankton in mine. I just pour it across the tank and it goes everywhere. Everyone eats, it's like a shark frenzy, they go nuts. My fish really, really love the Rods food. I do leave 2 of my powerheads running to help distribute the food. But even my polyps catch some of it so I never do any target feeding.

monsinour

during feeding tonight, I used my dropper to suck up the soaked mysis and put 2 dropper fulls (about 1.5ML of water and shrimp per dropper) into 2 different sides of the tank. Problem was I was too high to see who ate what and I forgot to ask my wife to watch. I think I will be cutting back on the flake to slowly eliminate it from the tank. I am going to the LFS tomorrow so I will see if I can pick up what you all recomended to me for feeding the corals.

monsinour

So I went to the LFS today to get some supplies. I picked up the API reef test kit, 2 half units of chemi-pure elite, and a bottle of PhytoChrom by Brightwell Aquatics. The phyto was recomended to me after a long discussion about the coral that appears to be dying. he had some of the same stuff on the LR in their LR display case and assured me that this stuff will feed them just fine. It should also feed the other corals in the tank too right? He also recomended to not use it every day which is against the bottle's instructions. I am leaning that way due to the chemical issues in the tank. Speaking of, here are the test results
80 degrees F
SG 1.026
pH 7.8
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 20
Calcium 460
Carbonate Hardness 9 dKH
Phosphates .25
Asside from the nitrate everything appears to be fine or normal, i think. From what I have read, the dKH is higher than seawater but still acceptable in an aquarium. The phosphates are higher than they should be compared to seawater, but I think its due to the flakes, which i didnt give this morning. I honestly do not know how the SG got to 26, but next water change will be lower to attempt to bring it back to 25.
Anyone have comments on the phytoplankton i got? Are my numbers ok?

monsinour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsinour http:///forum/thread/380344/building-my-56-gallon-column-reef-tank/760#post_3351951
Anyone have comments on the phytoplankton i got? Are my numbers ok?
No answers to those questions?
I took a video of the tank today. It appears that the gorg has healed itself. We cannot see the black skeleton at the base anymore. Is this a rarity? Its what starts the video. I have to clean the seal rock, but is there a way to keep the algea from growing on it after a cleaning?
link to video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0CoNJjhy1k

btldreef

Most of your numbers are okay with exception of the phosphates, with the amount of macro algae in your tank, your phosphate level really should be undetectable, especially since you also used Chemi Pure Elite. I also believe this is from the flake food.
As for the Brightwell's, I'm not a real fan of anything they make. I definitely would not use it every day.
As a general rule, I don't like bottled food products that sit out on the shelves. You usually have no idea how long they've been there and what temperatures they've been exposed to (through shipping, etc.) which can cause issues. Considering you are having nitrate issues in this tank, I'm not sure if this is the best route to go. I would have went with frozen cubes of rotifiers or Reef Nutrtion's Roti-Feast and some people like their Oyster Feast blend as well, but I haven't used it for coral food.

monsinour

well, since we started the bottled stuff, the coral made a comeback at the base and the other gorgs are looking rather well. I dont use half of what it recomends and I have used it every other day. I think I have a flow problem and I will be adjusting my PHs. What do I do about the brownish stuff on the sand now? Should I churn up the sand in that spot? I also have a brownish spot on a rock, is it brush time?

monsinour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsinour http:///forum/thread/380344/building-my-56-gallon-column-reef-tank/760#post_3353463
well, since we started the bottled stuff, the coral made a comeback at the base and the other gorgs are looking rather well. I dont use half of what it recomends and I have used it every other day. I think I have a flow problem and I will be adjusting my PHs. What do I do about the brownish stuff on the sand now? Should I churn up the sand in that spot? I also have a brownish spot on a rock, is it brush time?
Well, it seems that I have a nibbler. The coral had healed itself. This morning when I fed the tank, I noticed that I could see the black skeleton again. Is it possible that the limpets are eating the coral? Should I take updated pics of the limpets?

btldreef

Might be worth an updated picture.
Keep in mind that while the coral is still healing, some CUC members may still view it as dying and be trying to "help" you. My hermits are notorious for doing this to SPS on me if it starts to have die off. I hate my hermits, LOL
The bottled stuff is not the worst in the world, I'm just not a fan, and really don't like Brightwell's products as a whole. As long as you keep your parameters in line and DON'T use as much as the bottle tells you to, you should be okay, but once this bottle runs out, I would look into better products.

evelynne

The Duncans have looked like this since yesterday. They had been coming out but now went back in. Does anyone know why this might be?

monsinour

The glow in the dark coral is the hammer. It is kind of odd how the duncans were out all weekend and this morning the are hiding and the injured coral is getting eaten.