Bush!!!!

overanalyzer

Originally posted by DarthMatt
Bush is a great leader and will finish the job.

Sadly I don't think I've seen a great leader in the white house in my years on earth ....
Ron Regan was a good leader .... and he was the best so far and I still am not a huge fan but he got stuff done ......

bang guy

Originally posted by overanalyzer

Sadly I don't think I've seen a great leader in the white house in my years on earth ....

Cheney is a great leader IMO. I'm not saying he's an angel but he gets a lot accomplished. You don't see his name in the headlines because he has no desire to be President. You seem to be the type to read past the sound bites so you probably already know this. Just a reminder that he is in the White House, he's just not playing the political figure-head. Reagan Quintupled the Economy. It will be a long long time before we get another person in the White House with that kind of ability.
I'm glad Republicans didn't earn any more seats in the House than they did. I believe the two party system works OK (3 Parties would be a LOT better) and if either party gets a true majority (2/3rds +) I believe it will be the ruin of the country.

overanalyzer

Originally posted by Bang Guy
(3 Parties would be a LOT better) and if either party gets a true majority (2/3rds +) I believe it will be the ruin of the country.

Amen!
3 or even four evenly represented parties would be great much beyond that you get too fractured and parties starting forming unofficial alliances.
You see all of these fringe parties focus heavily on the presidential election - but if they could focus and get some senate seats and some house seats it would be great.
Here in Iowa the state senate is split right down the middle - 25 to 25. They are already talking about cooperation that has not been seen in the past 50 years .....

neoreef

Originally posted by Pontius
neoreef, if you could point me to the quote where Bush said he was sent by God to do anything, I'd love to see it. War is a necessary evil sometimes. It would be nice if, by your kind of theory, we could sit around picnicking, quoting poems, and singing Woody Guthrie songs, but that's not the way the world works. I respect your right to your opinions, but trying to draw a comparison between Bush and Bin Laden shows the irrelevance of your opinion.

I don't think Bush is as evil as Bin Laden, but I do think he is a bully. War is an evil that has been excused by it's necessity, but how was the war in Iraq necessary? Iraq did not have WMD, or the capacity to produce them.
The UN imposed sanctions were working.
Bush refers to his religious faith in his decision making all the time. I really am not knocking faith at all, just it's use for political purposes. I am religious myself. I don't piknik, know any poems, and I am not fond of Mr Guthrie. I simply believe in the sanctity of human life. All human life.

neoreef

So how does this war thing end? We won the second world war, the war to end all wars, by our use of weapons of mass destruction. But that was the war to end all wars!
We no longer hold the monopoly on weapons of mass destruction. We were attacked sucessfully by "martyrs" with these WMD: box cutters and plane tickets.
Bush says we have to get them before they get us. OK. So all countries who verballly threaten us, who possess nuclear or biological weapons are fair game? We no longer hold the monopoly on WMD. How does it end? How do you keep box cutters out of the hands of terrorists?
My concern is that Bush has created more box cutter wielding terrorists with his us-against-them attitude (bully) instead of using diplomacy as he should have in Iraq. Now he has pissed off half the world. How many of them own box cutters?
I think we are either going to have to evolve to the point where we can get along with each other, or we will blow each other up until there is noone left. You can call me a peace-nik if you want, but if these are my choices, I would choose the former, and so would you.
JMO, and the opinions of many people I know. Unfortunately, not enough to redefeat Bush.
Kathy

bang guy

Originally posted by neoreef
Iraq did not have WMD, or the capacity to produce them.
The UN imposed sanctions were working.

You need to read more. Focus on Sarin. Sanction were supposed to produce results in two years. Then they were extended for two years. Then they were extended for two years. Then they were extended for two years. Then they were extended for two years. Then Bush decided it was past time.

neoreef

It depends on what results you expected sanctions to produce. I understand that Hussein used serin on his own people. I understand that he is an evil criminal. Is it the function of the US to unilaterally wipe out evil? If so, we have failed in that we've killed thousands of innocent lives in Iraq, some of them US citizens, but we haven't killed the obviously evil ones: Sadam Hussein and Osama Bin Laden. Evil still exists in Iraq, and will for quite some time, perhaps forever. Bush has created more terrorists by invading Iraq than the UN sanctions ever did. He has given fuel to to the fire of those who hate the US. The war we started has killed more people than sanctions ever did.
Serin is terrible, nuclear weapons are terrible, and so are box cutters. My point is that the proliferation of WMD is too widespread to control. We cannot control them, so how do we be the superpower we think we are? I think we have to find another way, something other than blowing up other countries. All that does is create human suffering and give terrorists and future terrorists more reason to hate us.

bang guy

Is it the function of the US to unilaterally wipe out evil?

It is the function of the military to protect the United States. That is what they are doing. Sitting in the middle of Iraq is drawing terrorists from all over the world to our forces in Iraq. When I was in the military I understood that it is far better to fight our enemies outside of our border than inside.
Those that hate us don't need any fuel. They are going to hate and to teach hate until they kill us or we kill them. You are trying to be reasonable and I understand. Unfortunately we are talkin about people who will strap explosives to their 14 year old daughter to kill a couple infidels. These are not people we can negotiate with.

reefraff

Nonoreef
"Bush created more terrorists". That is a really stupid statement. Terrorists are created by brainwashing over a period of time. You don't really think some guy in Jordan or Egypt woke up one morning and decided he would go blow up himself and a bunch of innocent people ? These people were already programmed for terrorism and just waiting to be pointed to a target. Would you rather they came over here like they did on 911 or fight in their own back yard?
Not only did Iraq have WMD (some have been found but only a few shells and a couple of drums) They absolutly had the technology to produce the chemical and biological agents. Read the 911 report, it backs up the pre war intelligence about Al Qaeda meeting with Iraq. Russia has backed up the intelligence reports about Iraq planning terrorist attacks on the U S. You don't see the possibility of Iraq handing over a cannister of sarin or anthrax to the group that had already murdered three thousand Americans as a threat that should have been dealt with?

neoreef

Originally posted by Bang Guy
It is the function of the military to protect the United States.

Agreed.
That is what they are doing. Sitting in the middle of Iraq is drawing terrorists from all over the world to our forces in Iraq. When I was in the military I understood that it is far better to fight our enemies outside of our border than inside. [/B]
I didn't know you were in the military! I respect your first hand knowledge. And I thank you for serving our country.
I hope you are right that the terrorists are concentrating in one spot. It sounds too convenient to be true. Of course it is better for us not to be fighting in our backyards. I do have some sympathy, as I am sure you do, for the innocent people of Iraq whose lives have been shattered by this war.
Those that hate us don't need any fuel. They are going to hate and to teach hate until they kill us or we kill them. [/B]
Agreed. How are you going to identify the terrorists we want to kill, the unreasonable ones who sacrifice their children to kill a couple of infidels. (aren't we sacrificing our young adults to fight this war? We are certainly sacrificing a lot of Iraqi people who are no more evil than you or me.)
Isn't it ironic that we got Saddam, but we didn't kill him. In order to get him, we killed a lot of innocent people, but not the evil one. We did get his sons, the ones we know about.
I believe in self defense, but that requires some proof that there is a threat. I understand that reasonable men thought there were WMD, and it is not hard to understand that Hussein is totally evil. I don't think Bush is an evil guy, but he should have demanded to be sure of the evidence before he put our people in harm's way. Given the lack of means of threat, Hussein was just talking lies as usual. But we did not know that at the time we went in...
I agree that those who so vehimently hate us wil never be swayed by reason. Unfortunately, IMO previously reasonable Iraquis are now , as a direct result of our invasion of their country, going to hate us. Also muslims everywhere. How hard will it it be for the other side to teach a reasonable man to hate us once we have destroyed his family? Or his home, or his livelihood? Wars create desperate suffering, and desperate men do desperate things.
You are trying to be reasonable and I understand. [/B]
Thank you. I think you are both reasonable and understanding.
Unfortunately we are talkin about people who will strap explosives to their 14 year old daughter to kill a couple infidels. These are not people we can negotiate with. [/B]
We are also talking about people who feel as strongly about their vision of how life should be, as we do. (I do appreciate that you treasure the 14 year old's life more than her terrorist father does)
That said, I agree with you that some people cannot be reasoned with, and you can't negotiate with terrorists. There are some crazy people in the world who do terrible things. They need to be brought under control. Some would argue the sanctions did that work in the case of Saddam Hussein. Some would argue that they were not enough. There is room for us to differ in this point.
Whether we should have gone there or not, we did invade Iraq and now it is our responsibility to stay there until the country can fend for itself. Every day we will hear about more dead soldiers, more dead Iraqis, and yet there is no way to cleanse the earth of terrorists, any more than we can cleanse the earth of unreasonable people. ANYONE who wants to use serin against us will still be able to. In my opinion, we are not safer than if we had not entered Iraq. We are just poorer, more people hate us, and there are fewer of us still alive.
This has been an interesting discussion. Thanks for elaborating on your position. My dad is the only republican who will talk to me about this, and all he says is that he's for motherhood and against sin.

neoreef

Originally posted by reefraff
Nonoreef
You don't see the possibility of Iraq handing over a cannister of sarin or anthrax to the group that had already murdered three thousand Americans as a threat that should have been dealt with?

Not only can I see the possiblity, I can also see that we have done nothing to prevent that possibility. And we gave more people reason to want to hurt us, since, after all, we hurt them. We have not effectively dealt with the threat.
Who is a terrorist? Guys with explosives in their shoes, in their trucks, strapped to their waists? Guys with box cutters, plane tickets, and a willingness to die for the promise of heaven? What do they look like? Let's get them. I am all for it.
It no longer takes a fortune, or advanced technology to threaten the peace of the world. Weapons of mass destruction are everywhere you look. We are not going to accomplish peace or security by bombing people. We never seem to bomb the right ones. We bomb the mothers and children and guys trying to get to work, and if we catch the evil leaders, we imprison them before we try them, providing them, of course, with free medical care while they wait.
Well this has been an interesting discussion, but it is taking some time to write all this, and I can see that I will sway no one here. Time to get back to my picnics, poetry and song! You make fun of it, but the freedom to do it is what you want for yourself and your family. We can agree on that!
:yes:

golfish

I voted for Bush in 2000...Then 9/11 came and I saw his face the minute they told him the second plain hit the WTC:nervous: :confused: like a deer in the head lights....

reefraff

I like that! I think I'll change my name.

A MOAT post. The 'Mother of all typos" :D

neoreef

Originally posted by reefraff
A MOAT post. The 'Mother of all typos" :D

Must have been Freudian slip!
:joy:

nw2sltfsh

I voted for Bush in 2000...Then 9/11 came and I saw his face the minute they told him the second plain hit the WTC like a deer in the head lights....
Dont you think that is the same look that the entire country had when we realized it was not an accident bu the intentional harm of Americans. I have friends that died on 9/11 and I am personally a little relieved that his expression was one of suprise and not that of surrender and already knowing.
My friends are gone forever but our military are serving their country proudly in their memory.

lovethesea

Originally posted by golfish
I voted for Bush in 2000...Then 9/11 came and I saw his face the minute they told him the second plain hit the WTC:nervous: :confused: like a deer in the head lights....

this is something that I truly wish people would get over.
He was in front of a classromm full of small children and like NW2 said, he was surprised too. I don't think the thing for him to do would be to jump up and run out saying we were under attack. He did excuse himself a few minutes later. For security reasons he may have even been TOLD to stay put until they could securly get him out of there.

reefraff

What is more important than the look on Bush's face is the actions of his aid. The guy wispers in Bush's ear and walks away. He didn't turn to wait for Bush or do a double take when Bush didn't follow him out. It seems to me he wasn't expecting Bush to leave.
Don't you suppose he may have told Bush the Seceret service needed him to stay put until they assessed the situation and secured the exit area? I understand the Mooreons will jump at any chance to attack Bush but this one is pretty lame.