call me exited, but...

monalisa

Originally Posted by Bronco300
hahahaha...ryk do not be fooled, miss lisa BOUGHT frags from me,lol...thanks for the compliment lisa, i home they do amazing as they have in mine!
I hope so too. I think I've lost one of the little orange zoo frags (I reiterate, I THINK)...I am so frustrated with the havoc hermits cause. I was looking into the tank this evening at the start a very busy time and couldn't find one, and I didn't have a chance to get back to look before the lights went out...what kind of glue should I use on those little suckers?
The other orange and the rock of beautiful dragon zoos are opening beautifully. I think that the green candy cane is doing well. I moved it yesterday into higher light and a little better current. They're gorgeous, I just hope I can keep them that way. Still waiting for the green zoos to make an appearance, but these things take time and are definitely worth it. Thanks again for the "bonus"...very cool.
So, Luke, let's hear more about that purple blade??? haha, j/k.
Lisa

poniegirl

Originally Posted by MonaLisa
Hey, done and done...BUT I'm not going to do anything in that tank very quickly...I'm talking S-L-O-W. I totally agree with what you've suggested and will take care of it, but in time...these little ones stress too easily, and I don't want messing with their environment too quickly to be the culprit of them coming down with something that I might otherwise have not had to deal with. I'm in the process now of planning some soft corals to be added, but since Appache and Navajo have only been in the tank less than 2 weeks...one thing at a time. They... first and foremost, in my mind, need to make themselves at home and accimate completely to my tank...that's happening.
I'm glad you found my thread. Questions and concerns always coming along, kinda like standing on wet ice.
Thanks Darth...I'm sure we'll talk a LOT more. Please let me know what you think of my plan, 'kay?
Lisa...
Has the "dead coral" spawned some life? Could be a good pod haven, I think.

bronco300

lol, what purple blade, whos purple blade? haha...its a pretty cool little gorgo i'm sure ryk will tell you more....as for glue use super glue GEL...or there are glues on saltwater sites that are for it, bostonaquafarms sells some coral glue that works, for me at least...crazy little hermits, gotta love em

slowburn22

Hey Lisa, the new tank looks good. I just found this post and looked at the first and last pages. I noticed you have a lot of coraline on your glass. How long did it take to get that way? What chemicals do you add to your tank?

monalisa

Originally Posted by PonieGirl
Has the "dead coral" spawned some life? Could be a good pod haven, I think.
At this point the coral skeletons have been sprouting some really cool looking coraline (lime green), and actually right from the start I've noted (on occasion) both of my horses snicking at them. Whether that snicking is successful, I don't know.
It is my plan with those pieces to cover them with some beautiful seahorse safe softies...zoos specifically. I know that'll take some time, and whether that's a realistic plan...well, we'll see.
If it is determined to be a better plan to take those pieces out and replace them with LR, that's fine too. I just don't think that's something that I can do at this point, especially given the risk of stressing my horses and/or causing an ammonia spike by moving the sand around...IDK.
NOTE: when the tank was cycling, there was definite pod life in and out of the coral skeletons, I observed this numerous times. I don't know if I should assume that this has continued?
Lisa

monalisa

Originally Posted by slowburn22
Hey Lisa, the new tank looks good. I just found this post and looked at the first and last pages. I noticed you have a lot of coraline on your glass. How long did it take to get that way? What chemicals do you add to your tank?
My new reef was started in February and the most recent pics are from last week, so that coraline growth is 4 month's worth. NO chemicals in my tanks...I work very hard at having extremely organic tanks. So far I've been lucky in achieving that.
The only thing that I can think that might be contributing is the salt that I use, Oceanic. Very nice calcium content (I DO keep an eye on that).
Still waiting for the coraline to pop in my seahorse tank, but the lighting in there is considerably less...I'm sure that has something to do with it as well.
Lisa

slowburn22

NO chemicals in my tanks...I work very hard at having extremely organic tanks. So far I've been lucky in achieving that.
I like that approach.
I might have to look into new salt. I use a Kent 2 part calcium additive/buffer and keep my calcium in the 420-460 range. I have decent coraline growth, but none on the back glass. I want that look.

monalisa

I like that approach.
I might have to look into new salt. I use a Kent 2 part calcium additive/buffer and keep my calcium in the 420-460 range. I have decent coraline growth, but none on the back glass. I want that look.
Really, the only thing that has achieved that for me is to stick primarily with the Oceanic. When I first started my reef in the 37, I used Instant Ocean. Maybe this isn't really well founded, but I had algae problems left and right with that salt. I switched to Oceanic when my LFS didn't have any IO at the time, and I noticed a difference almost immediately (meaning 2-3 water changes later). With a number of other changes (current, lighting, feeding) the bad algae cleared and the coraline popped. Again, waiting for that in my sh tank...it'll come.
Could it be that with your calcium being that high, maybe you need to adjust your flow or your lighting? Not sure.
Lisa

slowburn22

Not sure about the flow and lighting. I dont remember my total turnover but I remember it being like 20-25%... I think thats right. It's probably lighting... I've only ever seen coraline like that on tanks with MH. I've got T5's which seem to be great for my corals but not so much on the coraline. Now that you say you used IO salt, I may change salts after all. I have some undesirable algae growth like you mentioned and I use IO.
When you changed salts did you just start making new water right away with the new salt - or did you mix it and gradually introduce it?

monalisa

Not sure about the flow and lighting. I dont remember my total turnover but I remember it being like 20-25%... I think thats right. It's probably lighting... I've only ever seen coraline like that on tanks with MH. I've got T5's which seem to be great for my corals but not so much on the coraline. Now that you say you used IO salt, I may change salts after all. I have some undesirable algae growth like you mentioned and I use IO.
When you changed salts did you just start making new water right away with the new salt - or did you mix it and gradually introduce it?
When I changed salts, I really just did it with water changes...one week at a time. It takes a while to see results...but that's what this hobby is all about, wait and hope and wonder...and hopefully see results. Expect this change to take months...gradually...but always know that you're improving your system. I really haven't found the need to use chemicals with this mindset...just wait and watch.
Hope this works for you. So far it's worked for me, but be PATIENT.
Lisa

monalisa

Originally Posted by jennythebugg
monalisa call me stupid but what are those large things in post #660 in he last pic that the zoos were growing on ?
Those are on the barnacle cluster. You can see them better in the pictures of the left side of the tank. My fish love swimming in and out of those, and in the last picture on post 661, you can see Willie, my Royal Gramma peeking out of it.
I would NEVER call anyone asking a question "stupid"!!!
Lisa

monalisa

Originally Posted by seasalt101
thanx i didnt know what they were and think they look too cool !
They are pretty cool. They're kinda hard to find around my area, but they might be easier to find in the coastal areas, IDK. I actually stumbled across mine in a LFS that I've not visited since, and probably won't again for some time...hard to get to, and I don't remember the name of the place (my bad).
Lisa

monalisa

Just wanting to keep track.
Anyone have any ideas as to where to purchase healthy, captive bred and raised female kudas? Just thought I'd post it here. I'm thinking of adding to my little "herd".
That's it for now.
Lisa

poniegirl

At this point the coral skeletons have been sprouting some really cool looking coraline (lime green), and actually right from the start I've noted (on occasion) both of my horses snicking at them. Whether that snicking is successful, I don't know.
It is my plan with those pieces to cover them with some beautiful seahorse safe softies...zoos specifically. I know that'll take some time, and whether that's a realistic plan...well, we'll see.
If it is determined to be a better plan to take those pieces out and replace them with LR, that's fine too. I just don't think that's something that I can do at this point, especially given the risk of stressing my horses and/or causing an ammonia spike by moving the sand around...IDK.
NOTE: when the tank was cycling, there was definite pod life in and out of the coral skeletons, I observed this numerous times. I don't know if I should assume that this has continued?
Lisa
Yes, assume that has continued.

monalisa

Originally Posted by PonieGirl
Yes, assume that has continued.

Awesome. I also added another small piece of cured LR to the sh tank today, that should add to the pod population.

Busy day for me with my tanks...tomorrow will be just as busy. I love playing with my tanks when time permits!!
Lisa

monalisa

I'm bummed...Gary, my cute little sand perch jumped ship sometime today or last night. I went to feed the fish after work today and there he was...

Lisa

monalisa

Originally Posted by Rykna
I'm so sorry Lisa.
Thanks Ryk, he was my little brown-noser...always up front and center when I approached the tank...I miss him.
Lisa