comments on your Live Fish Store

spanko

I don't know if you are looking to be a "If I don't have it you don't need it" kind of store or more a boutique where maybe you have the higher end (not necessarily higher priced), serious reefer type store. I guess it comes down to the logistics of things with this suggestion and how to incorporate it in a larger more diverse store or a smaller more I guess intense store. There is a book called "Marine Fishes" by Scott W. Michael. The pages are about 6" by maybe 10" and each page has one fish on it.
Picture of the fish
Scientific name
Common name(s)
Maximum Length
Range
Minimum Aquarium Size
Foods and Feeding
Aquarium Suitability Index
Reef Aquarium Compatibility
Captive Care.
While I have read this book numerous times i still take it with me to the LFS when I go to get a new fish. I feel if you could use these pages on tanks it would help the customer do some pre-shopping intelligence on their own. I know there a book like this for marine inverts also but I have not bought that one. To be able to display this information on the tank in a waterproof lamination in my opinion would be wonerful for me.

snakeblitz33

Spanko,
That would possibly be more effective by tacking those notes onto the wood instead of me writing out everything. It would save me time in the long run, and if customers have any questions, they can always come to me.
Alix2.0,
Thanks for your concerns. I do not wish to advertise on this website. If SWF.com was not ok with this thread, I think they would have locked and blocked it about two pages ago.
Fuz_Munky,
Thanks for your contribution to the discussion! I know. I have been reviewing some "fung shui" books and designing my fish room. I'm also going to leave a lot of things open for people to see. I don't want to be too secretive about anything. (except my suppliers)
Thanks all.
Just for kicks, if you had a 2200 gallon system linked together, how would you provide enough good filtration for it? lol. I am considering a "volcano" skimmer as well as a 100 gallon fuge and a 55 gallon Really Deep Sand Bed. Also, I am going to have a large Fluidized Bed Filter.
How would you all go about setting up the filtration system for the saltwater tanks?
Also, Almost all of the freshwater tanks are going to be linked together as well. What kind of filtration would you have if you set it up? (sorry to ask about freshwater) I know what I would do, I was just wondering if anyone else had suggestions?

spanko

Originally Posted by SnakeBlitz33
http:///forum/post/2553409
Spanko,
That would possibly be more effective by tacking those notes onto the wood instead of me writing out everything. It would save me time in the long run, and if customers have any questions, they can always come to me.
Yes that is what I was thinking. Just copy the pages and laminate or rip the pages out of the book so you would have color and laminate. Then you would have them and could rotate them in and out with fish deliveries.

icebreaker

The one store I go to for everything. It is wide open, clean, and bright. They have fresh water, koi pond setups, and are known for their saltwater setups. they don't sell anything on the web they just keep updates on any sales going on, they also have pictures and write-ups on how the set the stor up. Scales has 4 large tanks for coral only. they have answered every question i have had and never lokked at me like i was stupid (some of my question have been). they offer in house cleaning of ponds and fish tanks. I like the way the staff will not try and answer something if they don't know, they will find out for you.

stdreb27

Originally Posted by spanko
http:///forum/post/2553855
Yes that is what I was thinking. Just copy the pages and laminate or rip the pages out of the book so you would have color and laminate. Then you would have them and could rotate them in and out with fish deliveries.
Watch out for copyright laws if you do that.

stdreb27

http:///forum/post/2552506
The people in town already always seem so secretive. Like, they will hide all of their equipment, and if you want to see their filtration systems or their lighting systems they won't let you.
Anyway, that is all for now. I will get online later today and check everything. Thanks for the information guys!
yeah, but it is mostlikely because they don't want you to know how bad their setups really are.
I'm always getting in trouble at fish stores for looking underneath tanks.

snakeblitz33

Well, I have decided that I am going to run three open systems for people to see and study. I am going to have a large display tank that is going to be linked to my other fish only tanks. I'm going to have a nice quarantine system, and I am not too concerned with ich. I'm never dosing my largest saltwater system with any medications.
Another great thing that I have been considering... I've been discussing with spazz at aquatic acrylics about a custom built protein skimmer. If anyone is interested in pics, look at the tank of the month for stanley genadeks (sp?) Energy's reef aquarium. I think it may be January, 2008. Read the story about the skimmer.
I know. I will definately have to watch copyrite. The way I will have to get out of it is post the front pic as well as the copyrite information in a clearly defined space. The information is pretty free.

matt b

http:///forum/post/2554786
Well, I have decided that I am going to run three open systems for people to see and study. I am going to have a large display tank that is going to be linked to my other fish only tanks. I'm going to have a nice quarantine system, and I am not too concerned with ich. I'm never dosing my largest saltwater system with any medications.
Another great thing that I have been considering... I've been discussing with spazz at aquatic acrylics about a custom built protein skimmer. If anyone is interested in pics, look at the tank of the month for stanley genadeks (sp?) Energy's reef aquarium. I think it may be January, 2008. Read the story about the skimmer.
I know. I will definately have to watch copyrite. The way I will have to get out of it is post the front pic as well as the copyrite information in a clearly defined space. The information is pretty free.
Another cool thing would be so people can look at the sump/canopy. I always want to see what my lfs sump and canopy look like

edit: I just saw someone else said this!

rotarygeek

My lfs has a email list. When you buy something, they keep records of it and when you reach so much, they offer you to be on their email list. they sent me an email with a 15% off all fish/ corals coupon.
Fair pricing is a big plus for me.
Kinda cool side note, i went to my local lfs today and he was closed, but he was out front cutting acrylic for some new tanks. He told me he would show me around the store even though i told him i was really just looking. He was very nice and informative and he cut me a deal on a feather duster and filter feeder food (forgot what that stuff was called) for 15 buck. He even gave me a website for a local forum just for my area. All while he was closed and busy. Ill def be taking my business back there.

stdreb27

http:///forum/post/2554786
Personally, I would keep your displays on separate systems from your inventory tanks. The turnover in your inventory systems will all but guarantee ich in your system. The last thing you want is to be fighting ich with your perminate fish.

snakeblitz33

I was really hoping to run my entire system with that one protein skimmer, but I guess I will have to sacrifice it and do something else with the main display tank.

stdreb27

http:///forum/post/2555665
I was really hoping to run my entire system with that one protein skimmer, but I guess I will have to sacrifice it and do something else with the main display tank.
It would be cool but. When running your business the question is why have a display system? In my mind it is a "look what you too could have." And running those off of a main system vs individual setups on a permanent kind of sidesteps demo-ing stuff like sumps, skimmers, ca reactors, o3, chllers and other high priced accessories. Helping your bottom line, besides the best line you can use in a sales pitch is I use it and look how good my tanks look. (your tanks better look good when you say that) You know maybe you could create a nich market for custom skimmers if they are really good quality like lifereef skimmers. Get this custom builder to build you skimmers, use them on all your personal tanks and sell them as the top shelf skimmer.

jonp

Didn't fully read through it, so sorry if any of this is a double of what someone else said.
I noticed some fish stores like to stack the DT of fish they are selling pretty high. Not everyone is tall, so that few fishes that are up there could have been sold if the shorter people could see them (not saying I'm short, but I glance around at other customers standing on their tippy toes or lifting their kids to see whats in the top tanks).
If you do set up a rewards program, maybe a monthly meeting so your customers can interact with each other and spread information that they may have forgotten to ask you (or your employees) when they were in your store last. Or even a forum for your store just so customers know you reach out past the doors they walked out of.
I try to support LFS in the area, so I visit them all and go to certain ones depending on what I need and who is going to give me the better deal / have better quality items or livestock. Not a fan of the stores that insist on you purchasing equipment instead of educating on what makes them different and how each thing works (such as wet/ dry with bio balls vs a sump / refugium).

snakeblitz33

Thanks ya'll. I am trying not to put the tanks too high for people to get on their tip toes.
Anyone know what average height is?
Basic education of the customer is essential for this type of hobby, JonP. I already have everything that you suggested with the outreach program, except the monthly meeting.
Anyone else have any other ideas?

edizzle

Make sure you have employees that want to be there also. I drive an hour out of my way to go to a saltwater fish store just becasue of the customer service I recive. Remember that not everyone knows what they are doing o customers will ask TONS of "stupid' and begginer questions. Just make sure your staff is willign and ready to educate begginers.

stdreb27

http:///forum/post/2556962
Thanks ya'll. I am trying not to put the tanks too high for people to get on their tip toes.
Anyone know what average height is?
Basic education of the customer is essential for this type of hobby, JonP. I already have everything that you suggested with the outreach program, except the monthly meeting.
Anyone else have any other ideas?
ADA wants stuff at 4 feet tops. I'm 6 feet tall I like stuff high. I get ticked when I have to bend down. Many times I just ignore bottom tanks.

cj52racers

Lets face it, the number one thing with any store is staff. The store could be kinda run down and dark but have nice tanks and a nice staff and it will be awesome. Also the main reason we are all on here is to talk to people who have the same interests we do and its fun for us. Thats half the reason I go to a LFS thats 45 min away and not the one thats like 10, because they are knowledgable, and you can tell they love what they do and have fun. Thats the main thing I think. If they are nice and always willing to help everything else kinda falls into place.

waterworld

Hey a few points from my perspective.
A-1) Clean tanks, Store and Healthy stock.
1 ) Have relevent books on hand not so much for customers to sit and read but how about to "check out", maybe with a deposit, and take home for a period of time to read? A plus to this is they would be coming back in to return the book and have more knowledge and possible interest.
2) I like the idea of seminars on a regular basis. These could be given by local hobbiests, store suppliers etc.
3) A local store like others have mentioned posts the date a fish was received. You then have an idea if the fish has survived the transportation to the store. Also the fish are flagged as "it eats". They at one time also offered that you could put 1/2 down on a newly arived fish to hold it for a week. (If it died you were out the 1/2.) Not sure how that would work for me!
4) Clean up or clean out old product on display. A local store has product on the shelf that has coatings of dirt and dust on them. If it does not move find a way to move it or clean it!
5) I have not heard of this before but maybe some people would be willing to pay for a QT being done on a newly purchased fish so they do not have to obtain the tank, supplies etc to do it themselves.
6) Sales 101, When you greet a customer do not ask "How are you can I help you" This leaves room for a simple short response of Fine,and No. Instead get a conversation going and draw from them if they have a tank, how big is it, what do you have stocked, etc. This in turn gives you the ability to suggest product as well as possibly identify that they may be buying something that will not work for their system or set-up.
7) A local store has the member fish club discount thing going but the member discount does not apply to sale items or this or that. By the time it's done you pay $20 a year to get 20% off of very little. Would be a good program if it had some perceived payoff to the customer.
8) As much trouble as it is provide a decent clean rest room for customers to use. After the time driving to the store as soon as I enter and hear the water running in the tanks I am done and on limited time to seek releif! It is hell to get old!
Great Job by all with the input and I enjoy the ideas.
WW

snakeblitz33

Of course, Everyone is screaming for clean tanks, clean displays, a clean store and clean everything. I completely agree. I think I am a pretty tidy person anyway and will do a good job at keeping the store clean. Personally, it is such a big turn off when I walk into some damp, dark, moldy, saltcreep infested dirty display'd dirty cyano tanked and hair algae swamped fish store. So, I want to change that!
Memberships are nice, but if you do the math, you usually don't get your money back through the discounts. That's why places offer memberships. It's because they know that you won't get your money back and make money off of the discount unless you buy a ton of stuff. I like memberships, but I think that they need to change a bit and offer something else along with the membership.
I like your idea with the conversation thing. I have taken some speech classes at my local university, interpersonal communication was my specialty. I am a people person and have gotten many jobs because of it. Anyway, my point is, thanks for pointing this aspect of it out and reminding me of it, I really appreciate it.
Also, the dirty and old containers and merchandise, yeah, they all have to be cleaned at least once a month and rearranged if they don't sell. I don't plan on keeping a ton of different kinds of ich medicine, and concentrate on the stuff that people need. Such as filters, skimmers, filter inserts, powerheads, heaters, mag floats, trace elements, hoses, adapters, pvc, ball valves, check valves, pumps, bulkheads and a whole slew of other things.
As for seminars and books and such: I really like the idea of seminars, but the only bad thing is that if I do a lot of things in public, people are going to be calling me up for free advice. I guess it might be a trade off.
The restroom is going to be a major problem in my business. I do have two restrooms available, one of them is going to be for water changes, draining, incoming water, and such. The other one I was hoping to keep as a personal bathroom.
The bathroom that is available is actually way in the back, where you can see all of my hidden equipment, frag tanks, extra tanks, merchandise not on display and my water room. Anyone that has to use the restroom and wants a look at those systems can just ask to use the bathroom and see all of my stuff!!
I just think that if I trust you, and/or you are a regular, yes, you can go and use the restroom. I am just weary of people I don't trust or have only seen once.
Anyways, thanks for the input! I guess what I will do is continue this thread for my build of my display tanks and frag tanks. I also want to post pictures of my new volcano skimmer and filtration equipment.

stdreb27

http:///forum/post/2559016
Of course, Everyone is screaming for clean tanks, clean displays, a clean store and clean everything. I completely agree. I think I am a pretty tidy person anyway and will do a good job at keeping the store clean. Personally, it is such a big turn off when I walk into some damp, dark, moldy, saltcreep infested dirty display'd dirty cyano tanked and hair algae swamped fish store. So, I want to change that!
Memberships are nice, but if you do the math, you usually don't get your money back through the discounts. That's why places offer memberships. It's because they know that you won't get your money back and make money off of the discount unless you buy a ton of stuff. I like memberships, but I think that they need to change a bit and offer something else along with the membership.
I like your idea with the conversation thing. I have taken some speech classes at my local university, interpersonal communication was my specialty. I am a people person and have gotten many jobs because of it. Anyway, my point is, thanks for pointing this aspect of it out and reminding me of it, I really appreciate it.
Also, the dirty and old containers and merchandise, yeah, they all have to be cleaned at least once a month and rearranged if they don't sell. I don't plan on keeping a ton of different kinds of ich medicine, and concentrate on the stuff that people need. Such as filters, skimmers, filter inserts, powerheads, heaters, mag floats, trace elements, hoses, adapters, pvc, ball valves, check valves, pumps, bulkheads and a whole slew of other things.
As for seminars and books and such: I really like the idea of seminars, but the only bad thing is that if I do a lot of things in public, people are going to be calling me up for free advice. I guess it might be a trade off.
The restroom is going to be a major problem in my business. I do have two restrooms available, one of them is going to be for water changes, draining, incoming water, and such. The other one I was hoping to keep as a personal bathroom.
The bathroom that is available is actually way in the back, where you can see all of my hidden equipment, frag tanks, extra tanks, merchandise not on display and my water room. Anyone that has to use the restroom and wants a look at those systems can just ask to use the bathroom and see all of my stuff!!
I just think that if I trust you, and/or you are a regular, yes, you can go and use the restroom. I am just weary of people I don't trust or have only seen once.
Anyways, thanks for the input! I guess what I will do is continue this thread for my build of my display tanks and frag tanks. I also want to post pictures of my new volcano skimmer and filtration equipment.
I just wouldn't have a public restroom, then you have to comply with a bunch of local, state and fed regulations. And by letting customers have access to them without taking what the feds think as proper precautions like chair rails the space for a wheel chair and stuff you open yourself up to government fines and stuff and the possibility of getting sued. Not counting it is one more thing to clean. And that is nasty stuff.