comments on your Live Fish Store

robdog696

You're right about everything you said. I just want to give you two examples though. Where I live there are two LFSs. Both are successful in different ways.
1. This store is not much to look at. He carries the same fish all the time. But I know if I buy one of those fish it is eating spirulina and is ick free. I'm taking no chances buying from him. He has an office in the back, where he invites all his regular customers to sit and converse. Many bring him breakfast or lunch or stop by just to say hi. He carries only soft corals, and he keeps a good supply of the things HE uses in his aquariums in stock. You will not find much of a variety in his store. He holds 75% of the service contract for the area, however. And he only has one full time employee. He does well for himself.
2. This store is my favorite place to go after dinner with the girlfriend. She gets to hold a puppy. I get to stare at fish. The employees are nice to the point of annoyance sometimes. Prices are reasonable. A new fish order comes in every Friday. But a lot of this store's merchandise "slips through the cracks". With the amount of profit he loses on unhealthy fish, too many employees, and not enough service contracts he barely takes home a profit.
Where do I go more? Store 2! Where do I spend more money? Store 1! So, my point is not that there isn't money in retail. My point is that, as you said yourself, the retail gives you the opportunity to buy wholesale for your service clients.
In the end, you have to do WHAT WORKS FOR YOU. If you can't keep a tang healthy in your own aquarium then it's probably best not to try to sell them. But if you can keep fifteen tangs happy and healthy in your own aquarium then that's a wonderful variety you can offer your customers, because you don't have to worry that if you can't sell them within a week you will start losing profit. Retail is tricky. A good example. I asked the owner of store #1 why he won't carry some corals I like. His response was as simple as this. 4 corals at $35 (his cost) that he sells for $50 each nets him a profit of $60. If just one of those corals dies before he can sell it, he just lost $35 and is now only making $45, for a new net profit of just $10. If two corals die he has now lost money.
Not trying to be a fatalist, just explaining that investing too much money in retail can prove hazardous if you don't have the service income to back it up. I wish you the best of luck! You sound like you have a passion for this and will do well no matter how you decide to go about it!

snakeblitz33

Robdog,
I have the experience to know enough about retail. There's certain levels of risks in any retail business... or even any business. I have a bachelors degree in Entrepreneurship at my local state college... I think I can handle most situations.
Thanks for taking the time to type all of that information out!
I like the fact that you make the distinct differences between your two store locations. I want to be somewhat in the middle of them both. I know one of my local fish stores is so big, but they are unorganized, they loose too much livestock, their products aren't anything special, they don't know how to use their products, they don't give really good advice, and a whole slew of other things. Personally, I don't think they will be around long at the rate that they are going. That's why I am going to go ahead and open this store, so that I can just go ahead and put them out of business, make it less painful for the long run.
I am planning on expanding my business into selling snakes, toads, frogs, spiders, hissing cockroaches, turtles, tortoises, salamanders and a whole slew of other creatures. I will also sell things for dogs, cats, and birds in my bigger store location. Right now, I am just starting with a fish store.

hillius31

Well I went to my LFS today, to get my Lion fish that they were QTing for 2 weeks now just to make sure everything was ok and make sure he was eating good.
I noticed that they set up a new tank. Didn't have anything in it, so I was like whats this tank for? They told me that when they put their order in for fish they don't always get what they want, she says that some times there warehouse will send them some odd ball fish. So thats what they set up a new tank for. Thats how they got the stone fish that I bought. Their warehouse just sent it out, and they had to move alot of fish around so the stone fish could be in his own tank. Now they are prepared. Just another little thing that I think is cool. They have one for FW fish to, ive seen a FW stingray in there once, and last week they had a Silver Arowana in it. Just a few more ideas for you.
Justin

snakeblitz33

Hey- thanks man. I think that I am definately going to have to look into buying enough aquariums to put in the wall to handle all of the odd balls.
BTW, there are people in this world that want hissing cockroaches. I won't stop em' :D
I want to be able to serve a broad group of people...

stdreb27

Originally Posted by SnakeBlitz33
http:///forum/post/2536979
wow!!! I didn't think of that! I could definately get a kreisel and get some moon jelly's.
What is the point of having a display if you aren't going to sell what is inside it, a "look what you too can do with my advise!"

snakeblitz33

Yes, I can sell the jelly's inside it. It would be considered somewhat a display because not many people want to invest in a kreisel to keep jellys.
Thanks for your concern!

snakeblitz33

Bump
Any other ideas on how you would build and run your live fish store? Any other suggestions or comments on what I could do better then your local fish stores?
Anything you would do, or want to see done differently?

zsqure

My lfs is a mom & pop operation which they all should be. They have one large DT where nothing is for sale, only show. More than one of those would be nice. A corporate store that closed used to have 2 or 3 90gal reefs as displays that they cycled their livestock through. Someone from corporate came in and told them to tear it down...bummer. Also, sell just fish and their supplies. The mom& pop sells turtles,frogs,lizards,rats, hampsters, guinea pigs and fish. It really smells in there, my other half (the boss) won't go in there because she is alergic to any animal with hair. If she would go in and pick out what she likes I would probably have that 180 by now, or a couple of nanos in addition to my 90.

alix2.0

Originally Posted by zsqure
http:///forum/post/2548258
My lfs is a mom & pop operation which they all should be. They have one large DT where nothing is for sale, only show. More than one of those would be nice. A corporate store that closed used to have 2 or 3 90gal reefs as displays that they cycled their livestock through. Someone from corporate came in and told them to tear it down...bummer. Also, sell just fish and their supplies. The mom& pop sells turtles,frogs,lizards,rats, hampsters, guinea pigs and fish. It really smells in there, my other half (the boss) won't go in there because she is alergic to any animal with hair. If she would go in and pick out what she likes I would probably have that 180 by now, or a couple of nanos in addition to my 90.

is the mom & pop youre referring to wet pets plus?

snakeblitz33

Interesting. I plan on selling supplies for other types of pets, but not any mammals. I like cats and dogs and rats and other things, but not for my store. I think that I am just going to sell their products, and stay away from selling the actual animal.
I am going to carry, however, all products associated with the care and maintenance of any animal that you can keep in an aquarium. Including but not limited to turtles, snakes, toads, frogs, salamanders, mice, hampsters, spiders, tortoises, and a whole slew of other kinds of animals.

bamm26

Do they listen to your needs? Well I work at *****, and i am the only one who knows remotely anything about saltwater! But we do do special orders and try to find answers to questions we dont know
Why do you go to your local fish store? ***** and a mom and pop pet store
what could they do different in your local store? We need people who know A LOT about saltwater fish. I drive an hour and a half to go to a saltwater expert store because pretty much everyone theres knows a lot! and i pay double for things there compared to ***** since they are so knowledgeable
how many display tanks do they have? at *****...zero. Im trying to change that. at the FS 1 1/2 hrs away... a lot!
Do they have anything unique? not really...just a huge 388 salt tank with a monster snowflake eel!
Would you go more often if there was some fort of aquatic entertainment? yes
Are the people secretive about what they do? no
Does the staff seem knowledgeable, is it frustrating to talk to idiots? its hard when i dont know the answer when people ask me at *****, but i research it and i learn more and more every day. But the other store away from me is awesome

stdreb27

Just remember you have to make money to stay in business. And The higher the costs like having unique tanks (such as jelly's) just make the prices higher to cover the higher costs. I"ve yet to see a truely successful store where they make their money on just retailing fish. (unless their prices are just rediculous) The ones that make money do manufacturing, installation as well as servicing the tanks. btw where in lousiana are you?

snakeblitz33

Absolutely. I know and already do servicing and installations. I have some really good clients so far. I know that the more display and everything the more I have to pay out of pocket. That's just a simple rule of business.
I know I'm not just going to do retail and service either. I plan on having a part where I can build acrylic tanks and glass tanks for customers whom also want my services. I have some experience with acrylic manufacturing and I think that I can really do that part well.
I'm located in Monroe, Louisiana, which is about an hour and a half away from shreveport and an hour and a half away from Jackson. If you also want to think about it, it's also an hour and a half north of Alexandria and an hour and a half away from Little Rock,Arkansas. Pretty good location, if people are willing to drive.
I also service tanks in Shreveport, Jackson, Alexandria, and Little rock and the many small towns surrounding them. I'm just getting more and more people interested in what I can do, and I'm not making any money on the retail side of setting up and installing new aquariums.
My retail shop isn't going to be that large. It's mainly going to be there so that I can store fish, corals, and inverts while I am working on big-name clients tanks. If anyone wants to stop by the store and check it out, that's fine, but that's not what I am truely putting my effort into... retail sales.

alex4286

i looove my local fish store (Chicago reptile house)/ Fish section they have everything you could ask for, two huuge display tanks 1large coral reef DT & 1 large aggressive DT. The only thing I'm really disappointed in, is the fact that they do NOT have QT's for their new shipments of fish! they just float them..wait 30mins & dump them in!

snakeblitz33

Interesting. I don't see why it's such a big deal to quarantine everything before it enters the tanks...
I can see to quarantine certain things before they go out to be sold, but not every single thing. Oh, and I definately believe in drip acclimating.
I have been thinking of an acclimation system though. I'm going to drill the bottoms of some 10 gallon tanks, set them on a stand. I'm going to have my main air pump with hoses and such in each tank. Then, I am going to have ball valves that will slowly let water up into the 10 gallon tank. Whatever overflow there is goes down the drain, and the tanks will get an automatic water change. Easy! I saw it at one of the live fish stores down south of me. They said they only had a 3 to 5% death rate among fish.
Anyways, that's for the new updates and ideas.

keoni

I work at a LFS near Seattle
What is the most impressive thing you have ever seen at a live fish store? We have a nautilus
What is the most expensive thing you have bought?
I get stuff at cost, so nothing too expensive. But some of our customers have spend 30k on their tanks that we set up for them.
What do you think the markup is on the items that you buy?
A lot, for example, we buy sally lightfoot crabs for 23 cents, then sell them for 9.99. Most coral frags we get for free from our regulars.
Anyone buy fresh/saltwater books?
No not really, they just look up what they need then put them back on the shelf

snakeblitz33

My, my. I hope that I get some great deals like that. I know that it's regular customers that provide a lot of the backbone of the fish business.
Thank God for Regulars!