coral reefs take millions of years to grow

molamola

Everything I need to know about the sun, I learned from They Might Be Giants...
{Refrain}
The sun is a mass of incandescent gas
A gigantic nuclear furnace
Where hydrogen is built into helium
At a temperature of millions of degrees
Yo, ho, its hot, the sun is not
A place where we could live
But here on Earth there'd be no life
Without the light it gives
We need its light, we need its heat
We need its energy
Without the sun, without a doubt
There'd be no you and me
The sun is hot...
It is so hot that everything on it is a gas Iron, copper, aluminum, and many others.
The sun is large...
If the sun were hollow, a million Earths would fit inside And yet, the sun is only a middle size star.
The sun is far away...
About 93 million miles away, and that's why it looks so small.
And even when it's out of sight, the sun shines night and day
The sun gives heat, the sun gives light
The sunlight that we see
The sun light comes from our own sun's
Atomic energy
Scientists have found that the sun is a huge atom smashing machine. The heat and light of the sun come from the nuclear reactions of hydrogen, carbon, nitrogen and helium.

keleighr

Originally Posted by ryansholl
No, it doesn't. Straight from the college itself.
http://pts.pcci.edu/Overview.html
But I didn't go by that. I called. I talked to someone. They thought it strange that I was told they offered a doctorate of divinity.
No doctorate.
I think I shall go smoke a cigarrette. This is better than ---.
WOW
Straight busted on saltwaterfish.com.

J

jdragunas

ohhhh... well what do i know? I have a BS in business administration... lmao...

ophiura

Originally Posted by ryansholl
Except, and do I ever have to admit my own childishness here, Pensacola Christian College DOES NOT OFFER A DOCTORATE OF DIVINITY

I think through the Pensacola Theological Seminary it may...
http://www.pcci.edu/Academics/ProgramsOffered.html
I think it is on the same campus. Though they seem to offer the Master of Divinity and Doctor of Ministry...not the Doctor of Divinity that I see. So maybe there is just something not shown. But if you called.... :notsure: well, maybe they don't offer it anymore?

However, upon review of the programs (eg Master of Divinity) you can see that it can be done rapidly so the time frame JER has given is certainly possible. The degree is designed for active ministers, so several courses are designed to be completed in a week from the looks of it.
In contrast, my doctoral work required 3 years of course work, including teaching, 2 weeks of comprehensive exams, and several additional years of research and writing.
Honestly, what was I thinking???
Ah well...must have been because I was studying evolution.
Doomed to be a student for life and all. :joy:

molamola

Pensacola is not accredited because they have chosen not to be, strictly on the basis they do not want to involve evolution in any form into there teaching programs. If you are “accredited” you are mandated to teach evolution in your schooling system.
I'm just curious, how can this school offer a major in Biology Education, with the intention of teaching Biology in public schools, if they do not want to teach Evolution? How can you major in Biology and not learn about Evolution? How can you get a degree to teach Biology in the Public Schools, where this evil doctrine of evolution is part of the required curriculum? I'm so confused.
This is the website's description:
"The biology education major acquires the knowledge and develops the skills to adequately teach high school students biology."
I would also think that any minister would be required to take a course in Evolution, so they will know all facets of the theory, in order to disprove it.

keleighr

Originally Posted by MolaMola
I'm just curious, how can this school offer a major in Biology Education, with the intention of teaching Biology in public schools, if they do not want to teach Evolution? How can you major in Biology and not learn about Evolution? How can you get a degree to teach Biology in the Public Schools, where this evil doctrine of evolution is part of the required curriculum? I'm so confused.
This is the website's description:
"The biology education major acquires the knowledge and develops the skills to adequately teach high school students biology."
I would also think that any minister would be required to take a course in Evolution, so they will know all facets of the theory, in order to disprove it.

Totally agree!!!
How can you not learn about the other side of an issue??? You would not be able to make any kind of strong argument if you didn't know what you were arguing about!!

jacknjill

im taking biology right now. we arent learning about evolution, we are learning about cells, chemical reactions, that kind of thing

caomt

jeeze! this kinda of thing keeps us thinking for a while..i like it though... all this commotion around us then BANG! *thinks in head* *"where did we come from"*

keleighr

Guess things have changed since I was in High School. We even went to the museum to see the (San Francisco) the different diplays that they had. (re: evolution)

75bownut

Originally Posted by caomt
jeeze! this kinda of thing keeps us thinking for a while..i like it though... all this commotion around us then BANG! *thinks in head* *"where did we come from"*
You know as humans we have to have an answer for everything, so I think Ill try this one and stick to it. GOD
HE is the Alpha and Omega!

farmboy

Did we ever address the original question/idea of the thread?
"coral reefs take millions of years to grow"
Don't we all have mini-eco systems in our homes that did NOT take all that long to setup and begin to thrive? I believe given a smidgen of a chance, nature(creation) can survive.

J

jdragunas

hard corals take a long time to grow, so i think by the "coral reefs take millions of years to grow" comes from that thought. That's not true that it takes coral millions of years to grow, but yes, it does take a looong time. However, the "reef" you will have in a sw tank differs greatly from a coral reef in the ocean. Coral reefs in the home aquarium are based on taking already grown corals from the wild and placing them on LR in your tank. Coral reefs in the ocean do not consist of LR, but it is actually a bunch of live coral growing on dead corals... so you'd have to grow a bunch of hard corals, and then grow a bunch of SPS on top of that, and then more SPS on top of that, etc. all starting from scratch... that's what takes so long.

matty0h_52

i was looking around on the internet for the largest piece of captive bred coral (sps, montipora) grown in a home aquarium and didnt find much. im kind of interested in seeing how large people like us have grown these different corals too?? :notsure: or even if theres people out there that just strive to have the largest piece of montipora in home aquarium.

ryansholl

To actually answer the question, no, I don't think coral reefs take millions of years to grow. It wasn't millions of years ago that the sea level was much lower than it is today (anyone recall human migration across the bering strait?). All of the current coral reefs would have been out of water. So there you go. Not millions of years, sun isn't shrinking, stars have life cycles, anything else? I think that sums this thread up.

J

jdragunas

how do we know the sun isn't shrinking??? I read above that the sun goes through "expansion" and "contraction" phases and that it's currently in it's contraction phase... how can we possibly know that? We've only been able to document it's size over the past 300 years (according to a previous post), during which it has been shrinking... how is it possible to know that before it began shrinking it was expanding??? Doesn't make sense to me...

matty0h_52

Originally Posted by jdragunas
how do we know the sun isn't shrinking??? I read above that the sun goes through "expansion" and "contraction" phases and that it's currently in it's contraction phase... how can we possibly know that? We've only been able to document it's size over the past 300 years (according to a previous post), during which it has been shrinking... how is it possible to know that before it began shrinking it was expanding??? Doesn't make sense to me...
which posts where you reading? if you read the ones from me and ryanshall we confirmed that the three stages of the sun that Jer4916 posted about where incorrect. i will try to do some more research on it to conclude. give me about an hour