Daddy's Room

doglvr

Awesome tank & room! When I set up my 30 gallon, I had to do it on a biweekly paycheck schedule. Each payday I bought a key component. Tank; LS and some LR; rest of the LR, skimmer, T5 lights. I am a "confirmed" can't wait and it was hell waiting between paydays! Because the lights were last, the tank had 12 weeks to cycle. The tank is 5 months old now. My xenia is out of control, toadstool has doubled in size, and the "White Sebae" is actually a beautiful tan thriving "BTA"
The moral here, is the longer it takes you to fill that beautiful setup you have, the more you, and the life you fill it with, will enjoy it!

maelv

Originally Posted by doglvr
Awesome tank & room! When I set up my 30 gallon, I had to do it on a biweekly paycheck schedule. Each payday I bought a key component. Tank; LS and some LR; rest of the LR, skimmer, T5 lights. I am a "confirmed" can't wait and it was hell waiting between paydays! Because the lights were last, the tank had 12 weeks to cycle. The tank is 5 months old now. My xenia is out of control, toadstool has doubled in size, and the "White Sebae" is actually a beautiful tan thriving "BTA"
The moral here, is the longer it takes you to fill that beautiful setup you have, the more you, and the life you fill it with, will enjoy it!
Thanks for the words of encouragement and praise. I am in the same boat as you...just peicing things together on a bi-weekly basis. But a couple of dollars (unexpectedly) landed in my lap, so I am going to get some of the things I need to just get it up and cycling. Before I end up using it for something else. Trust me, I have nothing but time...and not by choice...

maelv

Thanks JLM and teviesfish.....the moment has come. Skimmer (ASM G2 from this site) is on it's way (scheduled for Friday). I was going to get a CLSS 220, but all the LFS around here wanted 250 for it, plus tax..and wouldn't price match as some of the folks here have had the pleasure of getting from their LFS. I have my UGLY sump (ghetto rigged it from my tank I had)...and i mean UGLY. Plumbing will be completed after I water test the sump when I get off work, make sure there aren't leaks between the baffles. Sand - check......salt - check (IO Reef Crystals)...lights - getting there, will complete set up very soon....I have 50 lbs of live rock...another 40 - 50 lbs of DIY rock curing. I am going to get more rock (just haven't decided if I am going to get live or base - probably base, since I am cycling from scratch). Thought I wouldn't even have this thing up and cycling until the summer and would be watching an empty tank sit there....So here goes my dilemna:
I am on the verge of purchasing a RO/DI unit. But wanted to have the tank filled up this weekend. I know, stay away from faucet water. However comma How bad would it be if I do an initial tank set up with tap water? If it is going to be going through a couple of months worth of cycling anyhow? How bad of an idea is it to use the hose to fill it up?
And by the way, I am EXCITED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

maelv

Originally Posted by murray BMF
Thats amazing!!! Thats exactly what I've always wanted to do! Enjoy it

Thanks murray...
Question...I put the water, salt and the little rock i have in the tank (to start the cycle). Looks like the sand storm has settled however when I came home from work today, I see that there is tons of microbubbles coming out of my return. Is this normal for a new set up? Will the bubbles go away or have I done something wrong?
135 gallon, mag 18 return pump (in sump) and I have two returns with the double ball sockets at the end of each return going into the tank....
I did install ball valves, should I slow up the flow coming into the tank?
Thanks in advance for your help.
Ismael

maelv

Originally Posted by Crox
How can you wait 'till April!!! I'll be dying having an empty tank like that in my house.
He was right, and I guess I knew in the back of my mind that I would not be able to wait until April. I started the cycle on the tank 2 weeks ago today....I have some pictures so I am going to start practicing on my picture taking.....
These are of my old tank that was converted into a sump. I have about a 3-1/2 inch sand bed, ASM G2, about 20 lbs of rock, some cheato, MAG 18 return

maelv

Have ball valves for both return and overflow, and have had to use it already. I forgot to glue one of the elbows after fitting and it came apart as I was playing around with the overflow pvc...
There is almost 3 feet of foom on the backside of the wall, which gives me ample room to get back there and play around with things...

maelv

Okay, these were taken today. I have about 130 lbs or so inside the DT tank. It may not look like it, but I have some larger heavier peices. Which is what I was aiming for to get the base, now I will go back and try to get some smaller LR peices to supplement.

maelv

And final photos for the day....now I am waiting for the cycle to complete so I can start adding to the tank.....

jocca

Looks fantastic. Great job.
I have two comments....but it's hard to tell from the pix...maybe you've done this...
On the corners, I'ld use another 2x4 flush with the edge of the existing 2x4 to make an "L". shape.
On every other 2x4 I would use another 2x4 to make a "T" but adding the additonal one to the existing one in the middle of the existing one.
You can add these to the existing structure without removing the tank.
I hope that makes sense.
Your're essentially supporting the weight of a small car with all of that water.

maelv

Originally Posted by jocca
Looks fantastic. Great job.
Thanks jocca
On the corners, I'ld use another 2x4 flush with the edge of the existing 2x4 to make an "L". shape.
These are actually 4x4, and not 2x4. I have eight 4x4 along with a 2x4 on each corner....I thought and hope that that will support the weight of the tank..

On every other 2x4 I would use another 2x4 to make a "T" but adding the additonal one to the existing one in the middle of the existing one.
I haven't done this, but I do have cross bars, I used 2x4 peices....one on each end of the tank, and three along the bottom of the tank...
I have seen others put bigger tanks on less, but as I said before I am no carpenter so I would rather over do it than have it all come crashing down on me. Once, again, I hope that I am squared away...give me a ramp and more room, I would suspect I could hold a small car up on this thing.... :thinking:

maelv

Originally Posted by Bojik
WOW
i wish i had that much money and a place to do that.
Thank you Bojik...et me let you in on a secret.......I don''t have the money either....Thank goodness the wife has a "real" job and is able to spoil me....ha ha ha ha...just kidding. The wall itself isn't all that expensive to do....like everyone else...it's the rock, lights, and other equipment that is killing me....
Originally Posted by psusocr1

you really did a great job with everything...
Thanks, I still need to get more rock and 2 lights...ha ha....All I have at this point is 1- 250w MH retro. I am saving up to get some lights. I am looking at possibly some HQI units. A LFS I frequent has then at what I think is a pretty good price...so when I have enough for the lights, I will start doing some shopping. But since I am only cycling the aquarium and won't have any corals until I am ABOSLUTELY sure that my parameters are squared away, the lights aren't that serious at this time.