Dear Diary...

bonebrake

R.I.P. Rowdy Roddy Piper.

10-20 ppm nitrates isn't anything to be concerned about, but you don't want them to get any higher. They should gradually come down with regular water changes. I would not add another fish for six weeks so that the ich can die out. You can add shrimp and other invertebrates if you'd like too in the meantime.

perfectdark

There are a few select fish stores around me that i only buy certain things from. One place I wont buy anything but corals because their fish, fish tanks are nasty and they share the same water. But their coral tanks are all separate and they look really really good. Then there is another one that I would buy anything from but their prices are out there. Hope your tank stops eating your fish and you can start to have fun with it again must be frustrating. GOOD LUCK.

Originally Posted by Adairable
Thanks hun!
I wish fish would stay alive in it

Well, I wish you good luck with future additions!! :happyfish

adairable

Originally Posted by Charred Salad
Well, I wish you good luck with future additions!! :happyfish

Thanks!
I am gonna wait a couple of months just to make sure my tank is fine and parasite free, then I'll get another fishey
Except this time it'll be from a LFS that cares...

adairable

Originally Posted by Charred Salad
you can say that.

Good bc the LFS I am talking about is the pits....
and the guy that works there creeps me out

perfectdark

lol, i find that most of my fish stores with the exception of one, the owners or managers are not the most knowledgable. The people who work for them are the ones to talk to. I have 1 store in particular that i will only talk to 2 of the people who work there. Main reason is, they are both Marine biology majors in college, and they tell you what to and not to buy from the store.

Doesnt help the sales out any but puts mind at ease when I go there.
Now that you mention it the manager at my LFS creeps me out too. icky should I be worried about that too? it the way he looks at me LOL

adairable

Originally Posted by PerfectDark
There are a few select fish stores around me that i only buy certain things from. One place I wont buy anything but corals because their fish, fish tanks are nasty and they share the same water. But their coral tanks are all separate and they look really really good. Then there is another one that I would buy anything from but their prices are out there. Hope your tank stops eating your fish and you can start to have fun with it again must be frustrating. GOOD LUCK.
Well, since I am new to the area and new to the hobby it was hard for me to find a LFS that I liked and that was close :thinking:
Unfortunately the one I went to is awful and the guy that works there is a total sleeze ball
But I have done some research and asked a few Philly members where they shop and now I am just waiting for this one LFS to reopen their fish room

Luckily, I think it will be open by the time I decide to get a new fish.

bonebrake

Adair, we should all ride up to The Hidden Reef together when they open their fish room. Rich Andres (another kid RJ goes to school with) and I were planning on going to check it out when the fish and corals are fully stocked. If you and RJ want to go with us or follow us that would be cool! I'm so excited for them to open!
:jumping:

adairable

Originally Posted by PerfectDark
lol, i find that most of my fish stores with the exception of one, the owners or managers are not the most knowledgable. The people who work for them are the ones to talk to. I have 1 store in particular that i will only talk to 2 of the people who work there. Main reason is, they are both Marine biology majors in college, and they tell you what to and not to buy from the store.

Doesnt help the sales out any but puts mind at ease when I go there.
Now that you mention it the manager at my LFS creeps me out too. icky should I be worried about that too? it the way he looks at me LOL

Yea, don't let him take you out on a date, especially if after it he says "Lets go check out the tank I have in my bedroom"....

Unless, you want to prostitute yourself for some corals or something

BTW I wish the people at the LFS here new more about marine biology and less about their pimped out taurus

adairable

Originally Posted by Bonebrake
Adair, we should all ride up to The Hidden Reef together when they open their fish room. Rich Andres (another kid RJ goes to school with) and I were planning on going to check it out when the fish and corals are fully stocked. If you and RJ want to go with us or follow us that would be cool! I'm so excited for them to open!
:jumping:
YES!!! count me in!!! I actually called them last week and was like hey when ya opening and the guy was like just keep checking the website....I think they are getting tired of people calling and asking!!!!

spanko

Ms. Adair you listed you calcium at 200 ppm. If that is correct your calcium is way low, it should be in the 420-450 range. Can't say if this has any correlation to you fish death, but will affect your corals if not corrected.

adairable

Originally Posted by spanko
Ms. Adair you listed you calcium at 200 ppm. If that is correct your calcium is way low, it should be in the 420-450 range. Can't say if this has any correlation to you fish death, but will affect your corals if not corrected.

Thanks for the advice Spanko, What do you suggest to make it higher hun?

spanko

Well, I see you list you alk at normal but it would help to know what that is also. Your calcium should adjust with your water changes if you are using a good salt. However as we add more corals and other things that use calcuim we find the supplementation is necessary. I use (1) Seachem Calcium and (2) Seachem Alkalinity buffer in my dosing. Using a two part allows you to adjust each or both depending on your need. There are other two parts such as ESV B-Ionic, Kent, etc.

bonebrake

I'm trying to remember what all you got from me... None of them require feeding, but the trumpet corals will definitely grow faster if they are fed also get your calcium up to 400-450 ppm and alkalinity up to 2.5-4.0 meq/L they require that to grow. They will generally stick their tentacles out at night so feed them like 15-30 minutes after the lights go off with the turkey baster 1-3 times a week. If you see the tentacles out during the day you can feed them then too, but that is kind of a rare occurrence. The green hairy shrooms will eat, but they are very slow eaters, and that giant green mushroom eats too, it is a little faster eater. I think that is pretty much it, if I forgot a coral let me know.
Oh yeah, the ricordea will eat, but they are difficult to feed too, unless you shut the water flow off for 10-15 minutes until they can get a good grip on it, but I wouldn't go to all of that hassle. I have only ever fed mine successfully two or three times in the year and a half I have had them and they grow relatively fast. All of the corals I mentioned will eat anything fish do: flake food, pellets, frozen foods, etc.
:joy:
If you find out they opened before I do call me and let me know and I will do the same.

adairable

Originally Posted by spanko
Well, I see you list you alk at normal but it would help to know what that is also. Your calcium should adjust with your water changes if you are using a good salt. However as we add more corals and other things that use calcuim we find the supplementation is necessary. I use (1) Seachem Calcium and (2) Seachem Alkalinity buffer in my dosing. Using a two part allows you to adjust each or both depending on your need. There are other two parts such as ESV B-Ionic, Kent, etc.
Thanks! i need to get a better alk test asap. Everyone keeps telling me that. I think the one I got came with a buffer and same for the calcium test kit...
are buffers and supplements the same thing?
And let me see if I can figure out what brand they are real quick.

perfectdark

Originally Posted by Adairable
Yea, don't let him take you out on a date, especially if after it he says "Lets go check out the tank I have in my bedroom"....

Unless, you want to prostitute yourself for some corals or something

BTW I wish the people at the LFS here new more about marine biology and less about their pimped out taurus

Yea.....NO... There are somethings I will do.....But I wont do that!
ohh come on everyone has to have a pimped out ride. Mines a chevette with 24's on them......hydraulics, and lots o bling. (did I just say bling)

There is one place here in particular that is a very very upscale FS. If I can get some pics if it I will. Im sure they are not the most upscale there is, and their volume of fish isnt fantasic. But their corals are the best I have ever seen as far as healthy and variety. And thier tanks are the cleanest i have ever seen. Any fish they get in there goes to quarrantine for 3 days for observation before they put them in the show tanks. Down side to all that is they are a tad pricey. But thats the place that employ's 2 actual marine biologists.
Along with this site they have been my wingmen on helping my tank stay healthy and even cured my Cyano outbreak (well not an outbreak but the start of it).
BTW I feed my corals Phytoplankton, there are 2 different types and I forget the names Ill see if I can look it up. But it goes by the actual size of the plankton in PPM. Some corals can take a bigger organism than others. I dose them directly with a "sea squirt" and what ever they dont get goes to the tank. I also shut my filters off for a few minutes so the food stays around them.