DeMartini's 14G BioCube

nahern

I love looking at your pictures. I also have a 14 bio cube and was wonder why you changed the bio-balls to LR. I looked into mine today and saw some funny looking bugs, should I be cleaning them. Is this a bad thing. I don't like the charcoal filter pad either. It seems to get dirty fast, not much to it.

demartini

Originally Posted by nahern
I love looking at your pictures. I also have a 14 bio cube and was wonder why you changed the bio-balls to LR. I looked into mine today and saw some funny looking bugs, should I be cleaning them. Is this a bad thing. I don't like the charcoal filter pad either. It seems to get dirty fast, not much to it.
Well, if you don't clean the bio-balls they can become a nitrate factory. But don't clean them all at the same time; only clean about half and then the other half next time. Yea, I stop using the filter cartridge, they are way too expensive. You can buy a big pack of filter pads and then just add a bag of carbon on top of your bio-balls. Its a lot cheaper than buying the cartridges...I use live rock because you don't have to clean them. I don't want to have to pull out the bio balls to clean.

nahern

That makes sense! I guess the "bugs" will like the LR better, too. I can't wait to make the change.

d-90

DeMartini-
Do you like your Bio Cube? I have a 14 Gal. Bio Cube and I do not really like it. I am in the market for a 30Gal'ish tank. I am not sure if the 29 is a better then the 14?? Plus do you have a protien skimmer- Iam sure you must.

demartini

Originally Posted by nahern
That makes sense! I guess the "bugs" will like the LR better, too. I can't wait to make the change.
oh yeah... the bugs sound like pods. They just mean you have a healthy tank.

demartini

Originally Posted by D-90
DeMartini-
Do you like your Bio Cube? I have a 14 Gal. Bio Cube and I do not really like it. I am in the market for a 30Gal'ish tank. I am not sure if the 29 is a better then the 14?? Plus do you have a protien skimmer- Iam sure you must.
I have only had it for about a month, but I like it. I don't have a protien skimmer....I think It's over kill in such a small tank. I just keep up on water changes.

curiousnano

Hello.
I got like "dust/oil" .. on top of the water surface. The water flow keeps them spinning around and NOT go into the filter on left (supposed to be)
1. Do you have this same problem?
2. Where are they coming from?
3. What should I do?
I update new pic after 5 weeks.
Thanks.

demartini

Get a surface skimmer. I don’t have one….. I just have my pump facing upwards. I do get some dust on top, but not a lot.

curiousnano

Originally Posted by DeMartini
Get a surface skimmer. I don’t have one….. I just have my pump facing upwards. I do get some dust on top, but not a lot.
What is the surface skimmer?
Where can I buy it?
Thanks

robbberto

Curiousnano,
if thats the AP 12 and you have not yet blocked the two lower intake vents with some clear acrylic or something similar, your top intake vent will do a poor job of skimming the surface. covering the two lower intake vents on my AP12 is something I had to do if I wanted better surface skimming.
BTW great tank Demartini
I bow down to you

curiousnano

Originally Posted by robbberto
Curiousnano,
if thats the AP 12 and you have not yet blocked the two lower intake vents with some clear acrylic or something similar, your top intake vent will do a poor job of skimming the surface. covering the two lower intake vents on my AP12 is something I had to do if I wanted better surface skimming.
BTW great tank Demartini
I bow down to you

Hello Rob
I did covered the two lower intake vents.
Thanks.

demartini

Originally Posted by B-Town
Great looking tank. How long has it been up and running?
Thanks! it has been up for I think about 9 months. I switched to a biocube last month but I just transferred everything from my cube master.

g13

@Demartini, where did you get the onyx clowns? You might have posted this before but this is too long of a thread to read up on...lol
Nice tank by the way.

bill109

i wish i lived in cali.. they get the first choice or fish/corals :mad: :mad:
i live in CT (the east coast for all you world class navigators :hilarious )

bonebrake

I agree Bill.
It is so unfair the sweet stuff the westside gets for next to nothing and we got to give limbs for out here!