DeMartini's 14G BioCube

demartini

Originally Posted by jeepxj922
haha well come on, mine looks like crap...
well... maybe if ya move to San Mateo, California. lol

demartini

stock filter... I did take out the bio balls and add live rock to the back chambers. I don't use the filter cartridge... I run purigen and some filter floss on top of the drip tray. I am planning on upgrading my pump to a maxi jet 600 or 900.

skipperdz

i didnt realize u could put a lr back in one of the chambers, does that work well. i have a poly filter where one of my sponges was but thats about it. and im goin tomarrow to get a new bag of ceramic rings

demartini

instead of ceramic rings you can put live rock... it serves the same purpose as the bio balls and the ceramic rings... you just don't have to take them out to clean or replace them. quite a few people do it on this site.

kmauger3

Originally Posted by DeMartini
stock filter... I did take out the bio balls and add live rock to the back chambers. I don't use the filter cartridge... I run purigen and some filter floss on top of the drip tray. I am planning on upgrading my pump to a maxi jet 600 or 900.
Hey...First of all very nice set up. I really like your tank. If I remember right you had a BC 29. I have the same one and have been doing tons of mods to it. I bought the Maxi Jet 900 and when I installed it the flow looked slower. I took it out and it only does 230gph. The one that comes with the BC 29 does 263gph. I read other people upgrading to the 900 thats why I tried it, but I think they had a different nano. I actually drilled a hole in that chamber and put both of the ph's in there. To get more waterflow I cut the front chamber even all the way across. Got rid of my cyano and gives my feather dusters a good look
Just warning you so you don't go out and buy the powerhead thats a downgrade.

demartini

I don't have the 29 gallon. Mine is the 14 gallon, but I see a lot of people putting a Rio 6HF HyperFlow, which is 350 gph, in the bc29.

sigmachris

Originally Posted by DeMartini
Thanks for sharing your wealth of knowledge. I just browsed over all 9 pages of this thread. Congrats on your success with the change over.
I also have a 14g Biocube that is a couple of weeks old, everything is stock. I have heard nothing but good things about LR instead of bio balls. Should I swipe out the bio balls now our wait until the tank settles more? All I have in the tank is LR, LS, and 6 snails for a starter crew. The nitrites and nitrates seem to have settled at 20 and 0 respectively for 5 days now.
Also when you refer to not using the cartridge are you referring to the tall / thin filter behind the intakes?
Your help is appreciated and thank you in advance!
-Chris

sigmachris

One last question...through the whole thread you talk of a system change to the BioCube and wanting to upgrade the lights. Have you ever upgraded the lights or is everything thrieving with BioCube's stock lighting?
Thanks again for your help!
-Chris

demartini

Originally Posted by freshreeftj
demartini
your tank looks amazing
everypicture of all 9 pages wow
im hoping mines can be that amazinng
thanks!

demartini

Originally Posted by SigmaChris
Thanks for sharing your wealth of knowledge. I just browsed over all 9 pages of this thread. Congrats on your success with the change over.
I also have a 14g Biocube that is a couple of weeks old, everything is stock. I have heard nothing but good things about LR instead of bio balls. Should I swipe out the bio balls now our wait until the tank settles more? All I have in the tank is LR, LS, and 6 snails for a starter crew. The nitrites and nitrates seem to have settled at 20 and 0 respectively for 5 days now.
Also when you refer to not using the cartridge are you referring to the tall / thin filter behind the intakes?
Your help is appreciated and thank you in advance!
-Chris
I would slowly replace the bio balls with live rock since you already have a clean up crew. Do you mean your nitrates are at 20 or your nitrites are at 20? If your nitrates are at 20, your ready for a water change to get them down. If your nitrites are at 20 your cycle isn't done.
Yes I'm referring to the tall / thin filter behind the intakes. I found that it really slowed down flow to the back and the water level was too high in the display. So instead of the cartridge I just added a small strip of filter floss that I change every few days. Its a lot cheaper than the cartridge.
To increase the flow I also made the the spill over from chamber 1 to chamber 2 wider using a dremel.
As of right now I am using the stock lighting. I'm most likely going to upgrade my lighting to metal halides by the end of the month. If you want to upgrade your lights but want to keep the hood you can get a DIY kit to add another 24w pc to the hood.

sigmachris

DM,
Thanks for the quick responce and the pics...I got my tests results backwards the trites are 0 and the trates are 20. Water change scheduled for today.
Thanks again,
Chris

gpyetiman

Your tank looks great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What do you feed your corals? Do you ever have problems with the temperature of your water? How often do you do water changes?

demartini

Originally Posted by gpyetiman
Your tank looks great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What do you feed your corals? Do you ever have problems with the temperature of your water? How often do you do water changes?

I feed my corals cyclopeez and mysis about 3 times a week. I never really have temperature problems. my tank does get a little warmer in the summer, but leaving the feeding hatch open helps control that. I try to do a 10% water change once a week... if I don't get around to it then I do a 20% change every other week.