do farms have a right to shoot stray animals that have been dumped by their land?

aztec reef

Originally Posted by 1journeyman
None of those areas are particularly "rural", are they? Try Montana, Wyoming, West Texas, etc. We're talking ranch land. Not farm plots.
2. totally off the topic. You said dumped pets came from the ghetto from low income folks that can't pay for them. I want to see your source for that info.
try Oregon..
2.may this will help:
The poor
simply do not license their pets. As a result
they run scared of authority. They are afraid to make use of any
services that will expose them to law enforcement. They do not
visit veterinarians, participate in shot clinics, use low-cost
spay/neuter programs, or seek health assistance for injured or
suffering pets. They do not redeem pets that end up in shelters
and often dump pets rather than take them to shelters and face
possible fines. When confronted by officials that require
payments for fees and fines, owners forsake ownership. After all,
the average cost to obtain a new dog is only 50 to 75 dollars, or
in some cases, by simply answering an ad in a paper.
The poor
are put in a no-win situation by intact license fees and
fines. Where anti-breeding ordinances are in effect, many poor
people might like to neuter their pets, but cannot afford to do
so. Nor can they afford either the registration fees for having
unaltered pets or the fines for noncompliance. This failed policy
unjustly targets the poor
. Plain and simple, it's extortion:
Let's be real. Stray
dogs are not a breeder problem. They are an owner "pet retention"
problem.
Study of programs that have enacted harsh anti-breeding
ordinances reveal increased euthanasia rates and, in the case of
high differential licensing, lower licensing rates. This means
lower revenues for animal control programs. In turn, this results
in more general fund, taxpayer dollars to underwrite enforcement
and promotion programs. At the same time, 60% of the dog owning
public who don't license their dogs become irate at public
officials and animal control enforcement officers, especially
when they employ door-to-door campaign tactics reminiscent of
nazi Germany.
Targeting high-problem areas within a community
with helpful, people-friendly intervention programs will yield
the most benefits (for people and pets) per funds spent.
Studies show that breeders of planned litters create
proportionately low animal control problems. It's the unplanned,
accidental, mixed breed litters that become animal control
problems. The majority of animal control dogs and
cats are from unplanned, accidental litters with a large portion
coming from low-income areas.
Low-cost spay/neuter programs need to target areas that show
greater incidents of producing unwanted litters (usually
low-income areas) to solve the dog surplus birth problem.
The surplus cat problem is largely caused from unowned, intact,
feral and free-roaming felines that rapidly reproduce and supply
the bulk of kittens to households. Pedigree cats represent only3-4% of all owned cats nationwide.The solution to the stray dog problem is mandatory permanent
identification (microchips) not anti-breeding legislation. When
used in tandem with visual identification this modern system
provides a means to return animals home. It also provides
tracability to owners, thus encouraging responsible animal
ownership.
Governments should promote microchips by offering a FREE lifetime
license when owners produce proof of a microchip. The strategy is
this; people won't have to pay up-front to underwrite animal
control.
They pay when their pet becomes an animal control
problem. Poor
people will not have to live in fear of the
government and will participate in low-cost community programs.
The need is
clearly for fewer disincentives (high fees and fines, at least
high for the poor) and more services directed to the poor. For
instance, if fees and fines, including license, redemption,
impound, surrender and adoption fees were prorated according to
income, and even eliminated for those below the poverty level,
great gains could be realized.
We must keep in mind that less than 2% of pet owners are
responsible for surplus births. This makes fee structures
critical in reducing surplus births.
Positive action is necessary. Not only are low-cost services
needed, but also removal of disincentives is necessary to up
participation rates in low cost programs.
Animal control must realize by prorating fees they are gaining
revenue. The unredeemed dog brings in no revenue, while a
prorated fee that a poor
person can afford (or work off) would
lead to a partial recovery of costs and, more importantly return
the pet home.
A license fee that the poor
can afford would remove
the fear that keeps that person from participating in low income
spay/neuter or shot clinics. Prorated license fees would reduce
surplus births and decrease animal death.

bang guy

Perhaps someone living below the poverty level shouldn't have a pet?
They can spend hundreds on food & care but they can't afford $27 to get the animal licensed? Are they going to just skip the rabies shots too?

aztec reef

"What kind of scary turtles have you seen that "might just take you out?" Also, in several states you need a license to shoot an Alligator and I believe the Crocodile is protected from being shot as it is listed as a "threatened" species. Lizards vary from state to state and species to species, although many of those are also protected".
this is silly, i was just pointing out what REPTILES where: in case you didn't know..Now you know.

aztec reef

Originally Posted by Bang Guy
Perhaps someone living below the poverty level shouldn't have a pet?
exacly..if you can't feed your family. do you need a pet?

nigerbang

Originally Posted by Aztec Reef
"What kind of scary turtles have you seen that "might just take you out?" Also, in several states you need a license to shoot an Alligator and I believe the Crocodile is protected from being shot as it is listed as a "threatened" species. Lizards vary from state to state and species to species, although many of those are also protected".
this is silly, i was just pointing out what REPTILES where: in case you didn't know..Now you know.

Alligator Snapping turtles...Since you want to know about aggressive turtles..
As far as protected species they are protected..To a certain extent, If and I say IF you are..Hell I dont know fishing in a boat and you gather the attention of an animal the shows signs of aggression you are within your rights to defend yourself...Animals banimals...You have that right if a PERSON does it..

1journeyman

Aztec, first off, thank you for posting links and info.
On the surface it appears your comments are correct. However, I think this paragraph is the key: "When progressive organizations study their regional pet demographics
they find a disproportionate amount of surplus pets coming from low-income areas.
That works well for regions that have organizations... Rest assured, no one has been studying the origins of stray dogs and cats in Ranchersville, Texas.
That's where the study falls apart in my view. Not that it really matters.
We've been all over the map here Aztec. IF I read your posts correctly you seem to be saying that the answer to the issue of feral animals is to build more shelters. Is that correct?

stdreb27

Originally Posted by NigerBang
Alligator Snapping turtles...Since you want to know about aggressive turtles..
As far as protected species they are protected..To a certain extent, If and I say IF you are..Hell I dont know fishing in a boat and you gather the attention of an animal the shows signs of aggression you are within your rights to defend yourself...Animals banimals...You have that right if a PERSON does it..
those things get the 4 feet across, and there necks are as long as their body. They can take a hand off. their shell is just for decoration. They don't need it. truely an awesome species! They are the chuck norris of turtles.

nigerbang

Originally Posted by stdreb27
those things get the 4 feet across, and there necks are as long as their body. They can take a hand off. their shell is just for decoration. They don't need it. truely an awesome species! They are the chuck norris of turtles.

Chuck Norris of turtles....OMG!!!
They are really nasty....Not good to be fishing if one is near..

1journeyman

Also a Protected species.... forget feral dogs and cats, we need to protect the endangered and protected species from Aztec!

seasalt101

- let me let you in on a little secret Aztec, its not only or mostly ''the poor '' it's ''THE CARELESS'' some idiot dropped a very pregnant cat off outside of my ex mother in law's house (outside city limits) she took the cat in .after the cat gave birth she took it to get it fixed only to find out it had a microchip and belonged to someone on the other side of town ( a very affluent part of town might i add) they denied that they dropped the cat off came and retrieved the cat, but refused to take the kittens or even thank her for taking care of the cat - so you saying it's '' the poor '' is a terrible generalization

clown boy

Out in the country in North Texas, there are packs of stray dogs loose in some areas. Every livestock owner, even cattle ranchers, have to be on guard with guns. Cows and goats are being killed weekly. Most of these packs are capable of carrying off small children.
What would you do?

jmick

Originally Posted by Clown Boy
Out in the country in North Texas, there are packs of stray dogs loose in some areas. Every livestock owner, even cattle ranchers, have to be on guard with guns. Cows and goats are being killed weekly. Most of these packs are capable of carrying off small children.
What would you do?
Get a couple fila brasileiro's to gaurd my livestock...

shogun323

Originally Posted by Jmick
Get a couple fila brasileiro's to gaurd my livestock...
Very nice!! They are insane!!!

shogun323

Originally Posted by Clown Boy
what's that?
They are dogs that were bred in Brazil to hunt Jaguars, track down slaves, and guard estates.

aztec reef

Originally Posted by 1journeyman
We've been all over the map here Aztec. IF I read your posts correctly you seem to be saying that the answer to the issue of feral animals is to build more shelters. Is that correct?
And you thought i was going to let this slide?
1. MORE SHELTERS at/close-by the highly affected areas.
2. LESS IDIOTIC DUMPERS
3.MICROCHIPPING
4.MORE services directed to the poor.
5.MORE low-cost services.
6.Governments should promote microchips by offering a FREE lifetime
license when owners produce proof of a microchip. The strategy is
this; people won't have to pay up-front to underwrite animal
control.
They pay when their pet becomes an animal control
problem. Poor people will not have to live in fear of the
government and will participate in low-cost community programs
needed

All of this is assuming that feral animals are a real
problem, if not then it will be impossible for any changes. In order to be "change" we have to do something that hasn't been done. Cause lets face it, there will always be idiotic people doing lame things..
"Out in the country in North Texas, there are packs of stray dogs loose in some areas. Every livestock owner, even cattle ranchers, have to be on guard with guns. Cows and goats are being killed weekly. Most of these packs are capable of carrying off small children.
What would you do?"
In this case, you need TNT..Guns aren't going to do squat vs. A Pack. You might get one and scare the rest off and that's it..Unless you have a dozen snipper shooters working shifts for the hunt at your ranch..
"let me let you in on a little secret Aztec, its not only or mostly ''the poor '' it's ''THE CARELESS'' some idiot dropped a very pregnant cat off outside of my ex mother in law's house (outside city limits) she took the cat in .after the cat gave birth she took it to get it fixed only to find out it had a microchip and belonged to someone on the other side of town ( a very affluent part of town might i add) they denied that they dropped the cat off came and retrieved the cat, but refused to take the kittens or even thank her for taking care of the cat - so you saying it's '' the poor '' is a terrible generalization"
You're actually right Tobin,But it's both....And most of careless peeps fall into the "poor group". at least around the country area..and the ghetto.

ghola5

Hey good news....
The news and and in the newspaper are covering the topic here of animals being dumped, There has been alot dumped by our zoo but they say its happening all over as it, they are cracking down, In fact they say if you see someone dumping get their license number, what the car looks like and even if you can get what the person looks like, they will be fined and can even serve 90 days in jail. They say you can call the animal shelter and non emergency to report this. Ha, things are getting done and I couldn't be happier!!!!!!!

Even just from this news more people will be aware and maybe think twice about dumping their animals!