do farms have a right to shoot stray animals that have been dumped by their land?

1journeyman

Originally Posted by Aztec Reef
Ok, i'm back
I just can't stand reading nonsense....
.....Next time you guys get dogs in your farm, just call the animal control and say: if you don't come and get this dog then i'm shooting it!...
...Dumped animals, come from low income people that can't take care of them ..
Aztec, you accuse others of posting "nonsense"?...
1. I'm not sure where exactly you grew up around agriculture, but I can assure you even at my families' ranch (only an hour away from the State capital of Texas) there is no one to call. You keep saying "call" like every farmer and rancher has that option. They do not. Furthermore, even if there was someone to call (which there isn't) the person called isn't going to be a professional tracker capable of tracking down a dumped dog.
2. Do you have any statistics to back up that statement concerning dumped animals coming from the ghetto? Last time I checked the dumped animals in the Everglades that have become an issue are rather expensive reptiles.
Aztec, you're stating things like they are facts. They are not.

1journeyman

sport vs. hunger/need is different.. are you sure these weren't wolfs?.....
I believe there is a grand total of ONE confirmed case of a healthy wolf attacking a person in North America... One. wild dogs, because of their breeding, are far more dangerous in N. America.

aztec reef

Originally Posted by 1journeyman
Aztec, you accuse others of posting "nonsense"?...
1. I'm not sure where exactly you grew up around agriculture, but I can assure you even at my families' ranch (only an hour away from the State capital of Texas) there is no one to call. You keep saying "call" like every farmer and rancher has that option. They do not. Furthermore, even if there was someone to call (which there isn't) the person called isn't going to be a professional tracker capable of tracking down a dumped dog.
2. Do you have any statistics to back up that statement concerning dumped animals coming from the ghetto? Last time I checked the dumped animals in the Everglades that have become an issue are rather expensive reptiles.
Aztec, you're stating things like they are facts. They are not.
ok, lets talk about nonsense...
1. Journey, let see here: san diego, ocean side, la,Santa ana. should i go on?
Now, if there's NO-ONE TO CALL..then it must not be such a big issue..cause if it was then i would think that there would be someone to call by now..
2.Yeah, did you read the two links that i posted? do you have ANY statistics about feral cats and dogs? are they reptiles? i though reptiles were usually:
cold-blooded animals with a scaly skin and a backbone(i could see how dogs could turn that). but Reptiles are things like: snakes,turtles,lizards, alligators and crocodiles..Go ahead an shoot those, cause they might just take you out..
you should know this, didn't you take a Zoo-ology class?

aztec reef

I believe there is a grand total of ONE confirmed case of a healthy wolf attacking a person in North America... One. wild dogs, because of their breeding, are far more dangerous in N. America.

feral dogs aren't that "wild" Unless they been leaving in the woods for years....Now if you're talking about "real wild dogs" that come from the woods. Yeah i would think they're as vicious as wolfs..right?

shogun323

Aztec, I am convinced that you just really like to argue. I dont think you have a clue. All of your ideas might sound great and practical in your head or in theory but let's remember that communism also seemed great in theory.

nigerbang

This has gotten way outta hand me thinks....So why not add C-4 to the fire
On a farm..Yes, if they are pest animals who attack livestock..Bang
I have had to shoot dogs at work before..I am a surveyor and always carry a gun when I am going to be deep in the woods..Lets face it..Snakes, Boar(Yes there are boar in GA), Wild dogs, Coyotes, etc...
I always ask if there are any dogs or animals that are on the property..If not and a dog comes up growling and showing aggression to me or the 2 guys that work for me..they go down just as fast as any other...Hell for that matter, dogs in general that are aggressive and threaten will be put down post haste...
As for cats...try grabbing a feral cat and see what happens to you..

aztec reef

Originally Posted by shogun323
Aztec, I am convinced that you just really like to argue. I dont think you have a clue. All of your ideas might sound great and practical in your head or in theory but let's remember that communism also seemed great in theory.

oh, really? well i don't see any other practicle theories from you.. What is your imput? other than clowning? do you have a clue? peeps like you can't keep it civil. you got to start putting down people in order to make a point?

reefraff

My Stepdad was stalked by a pack of wild dogs in Oregon back in the 70's. He said they came up on him while he was fishing. He was able to run them off by throwing rocks at them and holding his ground. Scarry to think what would happen if they had came across a kid.
I imagine farmers and ranchers got better things to do than chase down stray pets. I know in western Wyoming the animal control is a bullet and a shovel. Imagine it's the same way around farm land. I don't know what the big deal is, a well placed bullet is more humane than starvation or getting parted out by a wolf or coyote.

shogun323

oh, really? well i don't see any other practicle theories from you.. What is your imput? other than clowning? do you have a clue? peeps like you can't keep it civil. you got to start putting down people in order to make a point?
I have indeed previously voiced my thoughts. I do not need a practical "theory." My solution is a a Winchester .270 bullet.

jennythebugg

Originally Posted by shogun323
i agree 100 % with that shogun!

1journeyman

feral dogs aren't that "wild" Unless they been leaving in the woods for years....Now if you're talking about "real wild dogs" that come from the woods. Yeah i would think they're as vicious as wolfs..right?

Originally Posted by aztec reef

... I think any animal that gets dumped "somewhere" it would turn wild, and that's because at first site the animal wasn't taking care of(or taken out).Now that he has spent days in the wild without food, of course it would turn wild...
I'm confused...

aztec reef

I'm confused...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aztec reef
... I think any animal that gets dumped "somewhere" it would turn wild, and that's because at first site the animal wasn't taking care of(or taken out).Now that he has spent days in the wild without food, of course it would turn wild...
that's barney style anology, how can you not get it? they're both the same thing..
first day: a dog gets dump..
2 day: it turns ferral..
3 day:and forward, Dogs becomes feral/wild from spending time in the woods as strays..
you still confuse?

bang guy

No, they're not wolves, various breeds - Terriers, Shepards, etc. and once there was a Chow, that was different.
What Dog Catcher? I don't think we have those. I still don't see how anyone could catch one of these dogs without putting themselves in danger. Even if they did catch one what are they going to do with it? They'd just have to euthanize it because there's no way they could put it up for adoption.
They haven't killed anyone around here, yet. Probably because they're shot on sight before they become a bigger problem.

1journeyman

first day: a dog gets dump..
2 day: it turns ferral..
3 day:and forward, Dogs becomes feral/wild from spending time in the woods as strays..
you still confuse?
That doesn't make sense Aztec. Step 2 and 3 are saying the same thing.
I'm not confused Aztec, I'm just trying to point out to you that once again you're arguing in circles .
Many of the posters here have first hand encounters with wild dogs. You seem to be arguing from an uninformed point of view.

1journeyman

ok, lets talk about nonsense...
1. Journey, let see here: san diego, ocean side, la,Santa ana. should i go on?
Now, if there's NO-ONE TO CALL..then it must not be such a big issue..cause if it was then i would think that there would be someone to call by now..
2.Yeah, did you read the two links that i posted? do you have ANY statistics about feral cats and dogs? are they reptiles? i though reptiles were usually:
cold-blooded animals with a scaly skin and a backbone(i could see how dogs could turn that). but Reptiles are things like: snakes,turtles,lizards, alligators and crocodiles..Go ahead an shoot those, cause they might just take you out..
you should know this, didn't you take a Zoo-ology class?
1.None of those areas are particularly "rural", are they? Try Montana, Wyoming, West Texas, etc. We're talking ranch land. Not farm plots.
2. totally off the topic. You said dumped pets came from the ghetto from low income folks that can't pay for them. I want to see your source for that info.
3. What kind of scary turtles have you seen that "might just take you out?" Also, in several states you need a license to shoot an Alligator and I believe the Crocodile is protected from being shot as it is listed as a "threatened" species. Lizards vary from state to state and species to species, although many of those are also protected.

aztec reef

I'm not confused Aztec, I'm just trying to point out to you that once again you're arguing in circles .
Many of the posters here have first hand encounters with wild dogs. You seem to be arguing from an uninformed point of view.
how can you say i haven't encounter this issue?.. The difference i don't follow bs. i analise it.
step 2 & 3 Are suppost to be the same thing!!

nigerbang

Couldnt have said it better....
Bang Guy....Wow I havent seen you posting in a while....Maybe we are just different places at the same time..

bang guy

Originally Posted by NigerBang
Bang Guy....Wow I havent seen you posting in a while....Maybe we are just different places at the same time..

Work is starting to get in the way of my hobbies. I need to do something about that, eh?